Spring birds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noticing a massive increase in Bullfinch numbers this year so far. Buggers are everywhere

Yes indeed the same here. Lovely to see.
Heard the first Chiff Chaff yesterday to officially open Spring.

This. They take a lot of small birds and eggs from nests. In our urban area, Magpies, wood pigeons and strangely Blackbirds have all done well.
Rarely see a Thrush. Would love them in the garden because they eat snails, and we have loads of them. Sparrows numbers seem well down in our area.

Song Thrush numbers up around here.
Morning and Evening lovely listening to them singing.

Shot a few Magpies the last few weeks therefore should help the population.
Grey Squirrels also another pest taking eggs and chicks.

We put both types up, looks like the blue tits are going to get one but haven't seen anything go in the open front one, was hoping the Robins would be interested.

I get a Robin nesting in a coconut shell hidden in the ivy.
Like you have struggled with an open fronted nest box.

The great tits have taken up one of the boxes and the blue tits are showing an interest in another.

Had a couple of viewings recently. Three properties have been snapped up but this couple said they'll think about it. It is an older property though. Made them all meself.

Logon or register to see this image

Superb mate cracking picture to get both. Easy to make as well.

Last edited:
There was a massive heron (i have no idea what kind, the light was going so i couldn't see the colour) on the roof of the house opposite me a few nights ago.

Looked huge. I stood and watched it for a bit but it wasn't really doing much.

Got bored, went in.

There was a massive heron (i have no idea what kind, the light was going so i couldn't see the colour) on the roof of the house opposite me a few nights ago.

Looked huge. I stood and watched it for a bit but it wasn't really doing much.

Got bored, went in.

Them telly aerials are cunning.

I put those aluminium face plates over the entrance holes to keep out the squirrels, magpies and woodpeckers. They recommend 25mm diameter for tits but I go for 28mm. The birds don't seem to mind. Without them the squirrels will rip the fronts out. A .22 sorts them out though.

Last edited:
The blackbirds are building nests in my euonymus shrubs again. I pruned some other bushes back and left all the little bits of twigs on the ground and they've picked them up. I'm going to brush the dogs outside one day this week and leave the fluff laying around for them to use as lining material.

There's currently sparrows sitting on the fence chirping away to remind me that the seed feeder needs filling up :lol:

I tucking hate Maggie's , I'm seriously considering an air rifle

RSPB reported first swallow in UK yesterday
Both swallow and house Martin reported today. Hirundines are usually the first to arrive - sand martin and swift will complete the commoner species. Hirundines are the group which martins, swifts and swallows belong to.

We'll have to change the thread title to "summer birds" now.
Exciting times as the summer migrants return. Used to love me birdwatching marra. Got loads of gear still.

Last edited:
Both swallow and house Martin reported today. Hirundines are usually the first to arrive - sand martin and swift will complete the commoner species. Hirundines are the group which martins, swifts and swallows belong to.

Exciting times as the summer migrants return. Used to love me birdwatching marra. Got loads of gear still.
Is it early for the swallows? The last few year we've had snow late March/early April.

Seen 5 red kites earlier today where I work, as much as I love seeing common garden birds, nothing beats seeing a bird or prey on the wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back