Spring birds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garden bird of the day

Logon or register to see this image

There is a lamppost you can see from my garden that occasionally you get a kestrel perched on top. As soon as I get my camera out, it disappears! One day I will get a pic....one day!

The blue tits have been busy regularly checking out and popping into my nest box since a few days before Christmas. I don't usually get a camera out until March, but I might need to do it soon. At least see what they are up to.

My daughter often watched the garden birds with me when she was very little. One lunchtime I saw a woodmouse appear on the lawn under the bird feeder. She was happily watching it (she was a big fan of The Gruffalo), when in a flash a kestrel plucked it off the lawn and flew off towards the park.
The look on her face was a picture, I lied and said it was giving the mouse a lift home. I have an idea it must have dropped it flying over our house in the first place, as I'd never heard of them hunting in suburban gardens and the mouse had almost appeared from nowhere and was gone again in a few seconds.

We often get visits from sparrowhawks, and it amazes me the speed at which they bomb into the garden. I've rarely seen them be successful though.

We often get visits from sparrowhawks, and it amazes me the speed at which they bomb into the garden. I've rarely seen them be successful though.

I saw one catch a male blackbird and it was ripping it up and eating it in my border! Mrs Blackbird was flapping on the fence going mental about it - poor thing :cry:

Was fascinating to watch mind. All that was left was a pile of black feathers and a yellow beak :eek:

On the plus side our local tree rat is alive and kicking, the little grey get. Helping himself to the birds feeders :lol:. We chuck him peanuts but the crafty little sod just buries them up the garden then goes back to the feeders. Loves his fat balls and suet balls
I understand greys are hated, but I like watching them. I've got a couple and just accept they'll help themselves. I can't fathom why people want to kill them etc, personally I don't hate any creature enough to want to kill it. But - I certainly don't want to get into a heated debate about it either!

I understand greys are hated, but I like watching them. I've got a couple and just accept they'll help themselves. I can't fathom why people want to kill them etc, personally I don't hate any creature enough to want to kill it. But - I certainly don't want to get into a heated debate about it either!
I know its supposedly an invasive species but you couldnt kill them man. They are right little characters. The dozen or so that live up the pond where i fish are the same.

I know its supposedly an invasive species but you couldnt kill them man. They are right little characters. The dozen or so that live up the pond where i fish are the same.
My thoughts exactly! I must admit a few months back I made a tit of myself shouting at my tabby cat to come in. He completely ignored me, even flicked his tail at me. So I was still chuntering on for him to get in when I heard his bell and there he was, rubbing himself on my leg, inside all the time! I'd been yelling at a squirrel! Must wear me specs more often! :lol:

I saw one catch a male blackbird and it was ripping it up and eating it in my border! Mrs Blackbird was flapping on the fence going mental about it - poor thing :cry:

Was fascinating to watch mind. All that was left was a pile of black feathers and a yellow beak :eek:

Saw one on top of a dead wood pigeon that it had obviously just killed. Bit surprised as I thought they only took out smaller birds.

Been watching a blackbirds building a nest in bushes out the back this morning , also Tits keep checking out a new nest box I put up last summer , not phased by the cat at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back