Spring birds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I think bells on cat collars help give a bit of a warning. My bird population seems to be thriving, lots of sparrows, tits and blackbirds. Long tailed tits are my favourite as they seem to bounce from twig to twig. I'm just sad that hedgehogs seem to be in decline, I had none last year and about 8 the year before.

I must have my nest box in the wrong place as its been there for 5 years and never had anything in it.....

I seem to get nowt but pidgeons in my garden. Mind they look posh not those scraggy things you see in monument..
Me too.:confused:
We've a well stocked feeding station at the front and quite a variety of birds use it but the camera box in the back garden has been ignored for about four years now.
I might try it somewhere else this year....ungrateful gits!:evil:

I must have my nest box in the wrong place as its been there for 5 years and never had anything in it.....

I seem to get nowt but pidgeons in my garden. Mind they look posh not those scraggy things you see in monument..
The pigeons could be the problem. Taking all the food so the smaller birds are looking elsewhere.

That reminds me, I bought some nesting boxes last year and never got round to putting them on the fence! I think I'll get the out the garage, paint them and put them in the garden this weekend.

Got a feeding station and get loads of birds visiting that - blue tits, great tits, sparrows, robins, wrens and blackbirds are the regular ones. Less frequent are crows, starlings, magpies, pigeons, doves and various types of finches. Occasionally get a sparrowhawk that eats the little birds and once had a red kite. That just appeared and lived in a tree at the end of our street for about a week and then disappeared again.

Nice one mate.
I always take out the old nests from the boxes around Christmas. February is very early for Great Tits to start building nests, more likely April however they will be looking for nesting sites now and would not surprise me if they are roosting in it already.
Song Trushes and Blackbirds can nest as early as February the former usually the first. Mild Winters certainly bring everything forward.
Been feeding all through Winter and nothing left every day from the bird table or feeders. Sunflower hearts the favourite.
Removing the grey squirrels helps my local bird population. I have shot 36 now in the garden in a year and a fair few Magpies (the worse by far).

Is it ok to shoot Maggie's I'm plagued with them , we had one pair nearly seven years ago there must be over 30 odd fkn vermin

That reminds me, I bought some nesting boxes last year and never got round to putting them on the fence! I think I'll get the out the garage, paint them and put them in the garden this weekend.

Got a feeding station and get loads of birds visiting that - blue tits, great tits, sparrows, robins, wrens and blackbirds are the regular ones. Less frequent are crows, starlings, magpies, pigeons, doves and various types of finches. Occasionally get a sparrowhawk that eats the little birds and once had a red kite. That just appeared and lived in a tree at the end of our street for about a week and then disappeared again.
Will the smell of fresh paint not put them off becs?

If you put a bit of raw chicken out now and again you might attract the Kite back. If you do though don't get into the habit of feeding it regularly and only do it now and again.

More likely the same pair mate. If not could be the young ones from last year.
Removing old nests really helps I reckon.
I know lapwings aren't considered to be migratory in this country but they are in the bit I live in,namely the Pennines . They used to return on March 1st every year but there were 4 pairs chasing about 100 starlings round the field at the back of our house yesterday .

The mild winter weather will be playing havoc with wildlife, they get all excited cos they think winter is over, then we get hit with a cold snap and it kills everything off again.
Just seen a massive skein of geese flying north over Sunderland at lunchtime, hopefully they are just moving for food in this area and not heading back up north to the Arctic, they could be in for a shock if they are.

Mostly wood pigeons, blackbirds, blue tits & a resident robin outside our house. Have spotted a jay a couple of times in the last week which is unusual.

The mild winter weather will be playing havoc with wildlife, they get all excited cos they think winter is over, then we get hit with a cold snap and it kills everything off again.
Just seen a massive skein of geese flying north over Sunderland at lunchtime, hopefully they are just moving for food in this area and not heading back up north to the Arctic, they could be in for a shock if they are.

We get a load of geese fly over one way every morning and then back again every evening in the summer. They make a right noise with all the honking :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back