Spring birds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Botchie

Striker
I get great tits every year in my nest box around the end of February. I've already had a pair over the last few days who seem to be just checking out whether it's safe to nest. Is this early or about right? I know @Swindon On Tour likes his wild birds.

I get great tits every year in my nest box around the end of February. I've already had a pair over the last few days who seem to be just checking out whether it's safe to nest. Is this early or about right? I know @Swindon On Tour likes his wild birds.
I noticed this this morning. All of a sudden the birds are beginning to be as noisy as fuck again for the morning chorus.
Seems a bit early in the year.

Nice one mate.
I always take out the old nests from the boxes around Christmas. February is very early for Great Tits to start building nests, more likely April however they will be looking for nesting sites now and would not surprise me if they are roosting in it already.
Song Trushes and Blackbirds can nest as early as February the former usually the first. Mild Winters certainly bring everything forward.
Been feeding all through Winter and nothing left every day from the bird table or feeders. Sunflower hearts the favourite.
Removing the grey squirrels helps my local bird population. I have shot 36 now in the garden in a year and a fair few Magpies (the worse by far).

I noticed this this morning. All of a sudden the birds are beginning to be as noisy as fuck again for the morning chorus.
Seems a bit early in the year.

Few more weeks and the Blackbirds, Robins and Thrushes will be noisy.
Just wonderful..........listening to all of the various calls.
I know most without seeing them. Spring is the best time.

Nice one mate.
I always take out the old nests from the boxes around Christmas. February is very early for Great Tits to start building nests, more likely April however they will be looking for nesting sites now and would not surprise me if they are roosting in it already.
Song Trushes and Blackbirds can nest as early as February the former usually the first. Mild Winters certainly bring everything forward.
Been feeding all through Winter and nothing left every day from the bird table or feeders. Sunflower hearts the favourite.
Removing the grey squirrels helps my local bird population. I have shot 36 now in the garden in a year and a fair few Magpies (the worse by far).
I got rid of the old nests just after we done our fireworks, so early November. I like to get it done as I always think if I leave it to late they might not come back. Will it be the same pair? Or maybe one of the young'uns from the previous year?

My nest box has alternated between blue and great tits for the last 4 or 5 years

Put up another one away from the feeding station, the other box and make sure the hole is North facing.......reckon it will get taken this year.

I have 8 up around the front garden in all the trees. 5 were used last year.
Wanted a Nuthatch to use one but no luck. Put up one this year for a Robin.

Got some great tits checking out the nest box at the minute.
The neighbour's cats probably licking it's lips allready :neutral:

50 million birds the little flea ridden bastards kill every year in this country.
I can feel another "I hate cats" thread coming on, we havnt had one for a couple of weeks!

I got rid of the old nests just after we done our fireworks, so early November. I like to get it done as I always think if I leave it to late they might not come back. Will it be the same pair? Or maybe one of the young'uns from the previous year?

More likely the same pair mate. If not could be the young ones from last year.
Removing old nests really helps I reckon.

50 million birds the little flea ridden bastards kill every year in this country.
I can feel another "I hate cats" thread coming on, we havnt had one for a couple of weeks!
Cats are absolute wankers mate.

BTO did a survey about a fortnight ago and virtually all garden birds numbers are increasing year in year iirc.
I knar what you're saying though

Wrong there was one last week - so please don't encourage another! I feed the birds and my cats don't bother them at all, one's a mouser and the other 2 have only ever brought in leaves and dandelions!

Cats are absolute wankers mate.

Hate Cats. A black one appeared in the garden a few times but got run over a few months back up the road.
Luckily don't see many.

Wrong there was one last week - so please don't encourage another! I feed the birds and my cats don't bother them at all, one's a mouser and the other 2 have only ever brought in leaves and dandelions!

Fair play. Some people put bells on the collar, not sure if that helps or not.

BTO did a survey about a fortnight ago and virtually all garden birds numbers are increasing year in year iirc.
I knar what you're saying though

Slug pellets years back really had a bad effect.

I must have my nest box in the wrong place as its been there for 5 years and never had anything in it.....

I seem to get nowt but pidgeons in my garden. Mind they look posh not those scraggy things you see in monument..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back