Spring birds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Too many bloody cats around my way, pointless having nest boxes, unless its half way up the house. Plus we are infested with bloody Magpies, ive lost count of the times ive seen them killing and eating the smaller birds

Too many bloody cats around my way, pointless having nest boxes, unless its half way up the house. Plus we are infested with bloody Magpies, ive lost count of the times ive seen them killing and eating the smaller birds
Down here in smoggy we've got Egret's of all things about the local bec :eek:

There does seem to be a lot more than the used to be these days.

We have Robins in the nest box, first time ever. I only noticed them this morning. We normally get Great tits and I've been wondering where they were despite them casing the box in January. It looks this fella has told him to do one.
Is it an open front nest box?

This. They take a lot of small birds and eggs from nests. In our urban area, Magpies, wood pigeons and strangely Blackbirds have all done well.
Rarely see a Thrush. Would love them in the garden because they eat snails, and we have loads of them. Sparrows numbers seem well down in our area.

No, but it's a bit battered and has a gap in the side they seem to be using as well. I've never wanted to replace it in case it stopped anything coming back.

No, but it's a bit battered and has a gap in the side they seem to be using as well. I've never wanted to replace it in case it stopped anything coming back.

Last edited:

We put both types up, looks like the blue tits are going to get one but haven't seen anything go in the open front one, was hoping the Robins would be interested.

. Plus we are infested with bloody Magpies, ive lost count of the times ive seen them killing and eating the smaller birds

Same down here in Spain, never seen so many of the evil twats.
Time they were done away with,
Both varieties.

Surprised so many dislike Magpies (the birds). Every time one lands in my garden it gets set upon by around 5-7 starlings. Poor thing is only trying to get the suet lumps knocked onto the floor.

I've seen loads of Redwings down here in SE London, that's pretty exotic for round here. Not seen one before this winter. Seems far less variety of birds recently, perhaps they've not felt the need to feed in gardens. Got loads of sparrows mind.

We have Robins in the nest box, first time ever. I only noticed them this morning. We normally get Great tits and I've been wondering where they were despite them casing the box in January. It looks this fella has told him to do one.

I've had robins in ours every year, unsurprisingly. However, this year a mouse has set up home in it, felt a bit guilty evicting it this weekend. I've never seen so many seeds crammed in such a small space.

Last edited:
Had a couple of viewings recently. Three properties have been snapped up but this couple said they'll think about it. It is an older property though. Made them all meself.

Logon or register to see this image
This pic is inspiring me to make some bird boxes again.:)

I've got a pair of Cardinals, a pair of Blue Jays, a Wren, a load of finches and two doves feeding on my feeder every day now.

Oh, and five Chinese Geese and 30 or so Muscovy ducks outside my back fence

Untitled by Graeme Beattie, on Flickr
I remember the days when birds flocked to my kip.;)

I've seen loads of Redwings down here in SE London, that's pretty exotic for round here. Not seen one before this winter. Seems far less variety of birds recently, perhaps they've not felt the need to feed in gardens. Got loads of sparrows mind.

I've had robins in ours every year, unsurprisingly. However, this year a mouse has set up home in it, felt a bit guilty evicting it this weekend. I've never seen so many seeds crammed in such a small space.
I wouldn't have been arsed about moving the mouse out. He'll only get braver and move into your house sooner or later.

I've got a pair of Cardinals, a pair of Blue Jays, a Wren, a load of finches and two doves feeding on my feeder every day now.

Oh, and five Chinese Geese and 30 or so Muscovy ducks outside my back fence

Untitled by Graeme Beattie, on Flickr
Finches won't come to my feeders as it's a bit boisterous for them, so they go to my neighbour's. I get the sparrows, blue and great tits - and the long tailed tits as well as a woodpecker (great spotted) and his mrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back