SMB film thread 2024

Manchester By The Sea (2016)

One of the saddest films you’re ever likely to see. Casey Affleck giving the performance of anyone’s career. A gut punch of a film. Michelle Williams sensational. The meeting of the two characters later in the film is a scene etched in my memory. Improvised I believe. Amazing.

8.5/10

Just back from Ghostbusters Frozen Empire and although it had the old New York Ghostbuster charm and 4 of the original group the story was very weak. The opening sequence was good to set the scene including the frozen baddie but the real threat didn't kick in until very late on. In the meantime there were numerous side plots, teenage angst and James Acaster popping up in a Q sort of role which was a bit odd but he wasn't given much to work with.
I know there have been various writer strikes but main story arc was very brief which let the whole movie down. Fine for another sequel and I enjoyed the initial reboot (not the one that shouldn't be mentioned) but it should have been tighter.
5.5/10
I watch red letter media on the YouTube and they said similar. Seemed to have been written for a limited series then squashed down into one fillum. I'll be giving it a swerve.

Manchester By The Sea (2016)

One of the saddest films you’re ever likely to see. Casey Affleck giving the performance of anyone’s career. A gut punch of a film. Michelle Williams sensational. The meeting of the two characters later in the film is a scene etched in my memory. Improvised I believe. Amazing.

8.5/10
Remember seeing this at the cinema. Great film and great performances as you say

Next Goal Wins
The latest from Director Taika Waititi, this is a comedy/ drama based on the true story of the American Samoan football team.
Watchable, but I was expecting more laughs from writers Waititi and Iain Morris.
5/10

Watched Will on Netflix, Flemish subtitled WW2 drama. Started well but just fizzled out into nothing, really.

At one point there is a fight in the toilets and one guy gets his face held down in the urinal trough, which is truly disgusting.

The Outside Man [1972] 7.5/10

Roy Scheider and Jean-Louis Trintignant are dueling hitmen leaving a trail of bodies in their wake in 70's LA.

Really liked this. Maybe slightly long. Ann-Margret gives good (ahem) support. Angie Dickinson is underwritten.
Ooooh looks reet up my strausse this.

Watched The Man With Bogarts Face a couple of days ago on you tube. A DVD will set you back £80+ so hurry before it’s taken down. Yer main man is one of the two blokes who made a living as a Bogie lookalike back in the 60s-80s. He’s more realistic than the other feller who was used in the Woody Allen film Play It Again Sam.
It’s not a great film by any means but worth watching for the novelty and Maltese Falcon/Casablanca mash up in jokes. Bogie (Sam Marlow) won’t take off his trench coat or tux unless he’s in the arms of a b&w film actress lookalike.
Herbert Lom plays a Peter Lorre type slime ball, Victor Bueno plays the Sydney Greenstreet role, Michelle Phillips (mamas n papas) plays the secretary. The cop is played by Richard Bakalyan who should have been the lead any Chet Baker Story film, Matt Smiths yer man for it now.

I’d imagine watching this, Play It Again Sam and Dead Men Don’t Wear Plaid under the influence of drink would be some experience.
8/10 for novelty factor.

Cold Souls. 2009. 6/10.

The teacher from last years The Holdovers plays a version of himself in a sort of weirdo comedy Being John Malkovich type thing. He’s a NYC actor struggling to separate on stage from off stage etc etc……..so of course he has his soul removed and stored by a joint US-Russian owned soul removal and storage company until he wants it back. Waddyamean…….of course there’s a few mix ups involved.
There’s also the feller who was in Oppenheimer last year who was also in LA Confidential, Eight Men Out, a couple ofBourne films plus Clooneys debut as a director Goodbye and Good Luck. The English lass from Punch Drunk Love and Syndoche plays the male leads long suffering Mrs.
Weird.

Play It Again, Sam [1972] 9/10

A neurotic film critic obsessed with the movie Casablanca attempts to get over his ex-wife by dating again with the help of a married couple and Humphrey Bogart.

LOVED this. Laughed throughout. The first date scene is genuinely one of the funniest scenes ever.
Love that film but haven’t watched it in years. Is that the one where he buys a dirty mag and the shopkeeper shouts out the name of it?

Roy Scheider and Jean-Louis Trintignant are dueling hitmen leaving a trail of bodies in their wake in 70's LA.

Really liked this. Maybe slightly long. Ann-Margret gives good (ahem) support. Angie Dickinson is underwritten.
Where did you watch it mate? My usual routes have come up blank.

Off to see the new Godzilla today, hopefully there aren't many kids in the cinema

Might give this a look. Anything with them two ladies in has to be worth watching!

Godzilla and Kong, now best buddies, "bromance" if you will. Quite entertaining in a CGI exclusive way with a thin veneer of a story and loads of titan battles. Rock solid 5/10 but more if the CGI titan battles is your thing.

Ghostbusters Afterlife on telly last night. Passable, 6/10. Probably the best Ghostbusters film although I'm yet to see Frozen Empire. The lasses 2016 one was also on TV last night and that's the worst.

Die Hard With a Vengeance. Far better than I remember it being. 6.5/10 although I still can't remember how to do the gallon puzzle even though googling it makes perfect sense. :confused:

Ghostbusters Afterlife on telly last night. Passable, 6/10. Probably the best Ghostbusters film although I'm yet to see Frozen Empire. The lasses 2016 one was also on TV last night and that's the worst.

Die Hard With a Vengeance. Far better than I remember it being. 6.5/10 although I still can't remember how to do the gallon puzzle even though googling it makes perfect sense. :confused:
Watched afterlife last night as well, it was canny enough, a 6.5/10 at most for me too (the young lass in the specs was the stand out performance for me) and a nice little cameo from the 3 surviving originals 😎👍

Play It Again, Sam [1972] 9/10

A neurotic film critic obsessed with the movie Casablanca attempts to get over his ex-wife by dating again with the help of a married couple and Humphrey Bogart.

LOVED this. Laughed throughout. The first date scene is genuinely one of the funniest scenes ever.
The run of films from Take The Money And Run to Love And Death are superb.

Herbert Ross did a great Woody Allen-esque job on PIAS.

I have a gub.

The Hit [1984] 7/10

10 years after ratting on the mob, two hit men (John Hurt, Tim Roth) drive the grass (Terence Stamp) to Paris for his execution. However, while on the way, whatever can go wrong, does go wrong.

Pretty decent early Stephen Frears. Stamp (zen), Hurt (menacing) and Roth (psychotic) are all good.

Back