SMB film thread 2024

The Blair Witch project (1999)

Groundbreaking at the time. One of the greatest advertising campaigns ever for a film. 3 of the most annoying people you’ll likely ever meet arguing in the woods. A truly terrifying ending.
REC (2007)

Spanish found footage horror where an infection has taken over an apartment block. Blair Witch walked so this could run. An unnerving final 10 minutes, with some good plot developments. Probably the best found footage film ever made?

8/10

Last edited:

One Life (2023) - 6/10 - Great story about the man who saved hundreds of Jewish children out of Czechoslovakia just as the Second World war was breaking. Unfortunately the movie itself was pretty average.

The Zone of Interest (2023) - 6.5/10 - Fascinating story and great production / cinematography about an Auschwitz official and his family living next to the camp. At times subtle, at times in your face.

I hadn't planned to watch these back to back but quite interesting moving from one to the other tonight!

REC (2007)

Spanish found footage horror where an infection has taken over an apartment block. Blair Witch walked so this could run. An unnerving final 10 minutes, with some good plot developments. Probably the best found footage film ever made?
I’d say so, yeah. Great film. Not seen the sequels but the less said about the American remake the better.

12 o clock high 1949

Gregory Peck stars in WW2 drama set around a fictional airbase during the 8th airforce dark days of 1943 as the US struggled with daytime bombing raids over occupied Europe. hadn't seen it surprisingly

I have to say I love my old 50's war films, but this blew me away. Its gritty, dark, and explores the causalities and psychological impact that the young lads suffered flying missions. I've not seen an old war film quite like it.

9/10

Watched Perfect Days last night, the Japanese entry in the international film category at this years Oscars.

For me it was 10/10, i think for a lot of people it would dog shit. If you're an introvert with a mild interest in photography, books, music & cycling - its a wet dream. Would be considered quite slow, and there isn't a huge amount of dialogue.

It appears that for the Tokyo Olympics of 2020 the Japanese built 9 fancy pants public toilets for the expected visitors, which thanks to COVID were never used by the hordes of foreign tourists. Someone decided they should commission a documentary about these netties, but the winning idea was from Wim Wenders (Paris, Texas) who came up with a film about a toilet attendant...

probably not really selling it, but i loved it.

Watched Perfect Days last night, the Japanese entry in the international film category at this years Oscars.

For me it was 10/10, i think for a lot of people it would dog shit. If you're an introvert with a mild interest in photography, books, music & cycling - its a wet dream. Would be considered quite slow, and there isn't a huge amount of dialogue.

It appears that for the Tokyo Olympics of 2020 the Japanese built 9 fancy pants public toilets for the expected visitors, which thanks to COVID were never used by the hordes of foreign tourists. Someone decided they should commission a documentary about these netties, but the winning idea was from Wim Wenders (Paris, Texas) who came up with a film about a toilet attendant...

probably not really selling it, but i loved it.
Enjoyed it. I gave it 8/10. Great soundtrack.
Those toilets are pretty swanky.

I’d say so, yeah. Great film. Not seen the sequels but the less said about the American remake the better.
It's class like, from memory the second one is a continuation of the first much the same and still pretty good, the third at a wedding but abandons the first person, and the last goes back to it and set on a ship.

In order 1,2,4 and a dim and distant 3, but all worth a watch

What was the remake Quarantine? I enjoyed that but saw it at the flicks and didn't even know there was an original - which is much better

It's class like, from memory the second one is a continuation of the first much the same and still pretty good, the third at a wedding but abandons the first person, and the last goes back to it and set on a ship.

In order 1,2,4 and a dim and distant 3, but all worth a watch

What was the remake Quarantine? I enjoyed that but saw it at the flicks and didn't even know there was an original - which is much better
Might have to set aside some time for the sequels one day.

And yeah, Quarantine it was. Had the lass who played Dexters sister in it. Think it was always fighting a losing battle with me because I held Rec in such high regard.

Spotlight

Boston Globe Paper vs Catholic Church cover ups worldwide.

True story -Really opened my eyes couldn't believe it's all true.

Came up the other night for a watch, massively underrated film n didn't get the publicity it deserves.

Mark Ruffalo
Michael Keaton

Spotlight

Came up the other night for a watch, massively underrated film n didn't get the publicity it deserves.

Mark Ruffalo
Michael Keaton
I saw that at the cinema when it first came out and agree it is a massively underrated film. One of those few films that actually made me quite angry while watching it. There is one particular scene that was so disturbing it really got my blood boiling.

It is the scene where where Rachel McAdams is interviewing a priest who has retired and he's so unrepentant over what he's done. It was what he came out with what shocked when she asked him if he molested children - "Sure I fooled around. But I got no gratification from it. It is important for you to understand I got no pleasure from it.'

Death at a Funeral

The original. Typical British comedy with a few laughs. Was perfect Friday night viewing enjoyed it. 7.5 out of ten

Spotlight

Mark Ruffalo
Michael Keaton
It's a great movie. Not sure if you've seen The Keepers documentary series on Netflix. Focuses on the disappearance of a Catholic school teacher and investigation into the background of what went on and the church keeping things quiet.

Spotlight

Mark Ruffalo
Michael Keaton
A fantastic film. One of my favourites of the 2010’s

“THEY KNEW!!! AND THEY LET IT HAPPEN!”

Couple of Nicole Kidman oldies I’d never seen before…

Destroyer - gave it 45 mins, shite.
To die for - she certainly looks it in this film, tremendous :lol:

It's a great movie. Not sure if you've seen The Keepers documentary series on Netflix. Focuses on the disappearance of a Catholic school teacher and investigation into the background of what went on and the church keeping things quiet.
A did a while back, was a bit worrying. Another incident swept under the carpet.

Reality (2023). Slow burn true story about US Govt security whistleblower (Sydney Sweeney) getting apprehended by FBI. Tense. 7/10.

American Fiction (2023). Satirical look at black culture/fiction writing. Watched this with no idea what film was about, had I known would probably not have bothered! Enjoyed it. 7/10.

Back