SMB film thread 2024

Knock at the Cabin (2023)
4 armed strangers rock up to a secluded holiday cabin of a family of 3 with the ultimatum that one of them has to be sacrificed within 24 hours otherwise the world will end. Very typical Shyamalan film. A decent set up which introduced some mystery and intrigue was let down by shite writing. Never boring at least and Dave Batista put in a surprisingly great performance
5.5/10

All of Us Strangers (2023)
A lonely, repressed gay man reconnects with the ghosts of his long dead parents while embarking on a budding relationship with a fellow resident of his almost empty apartment building. A haunting examination of loneliness, longing and grief. The film drifts at times which may be boring for some, but the ending totally brings everything around. Performances are outstanding. Also possibly the gayest thing I've ever seen
8.5/10

4 armed strangers rock up to a secluded holiday cabin of a family of 3 with the ultimatum that one of them has to be sacrificed within 24 hours otherwise the world will end. Very typical Shyamalan film. A decent set up which introduced some mystery and intrigue was let down by shite writing. Never boring at least and Dave Batista put in a surprisingly great performance
5.5/10

A lonely, repressed gay man reconnects with the ghosts of his long dead parents while embarking on a budding relationship with a fellow resident of his almost empty apartment building. A haunting examination of loneliness, longing and grief. The film drifts at times which may be boring for some, but the ending totally brings everything around. Performances are outstanding. Also possibly the gayest thing I've ever seen
8.5/10
Both these films are amazing 👍👍

Barbie
Nice production design but otherwise it fell a bit flat for me.
Not terrible but nothing particularly special either, just a bit "was that it?"
4/10

Aftersun.
Nostalgic tale of a girl on holiday with her father. Not a whole lot happens but I found it pretty watchable. 6/10.

Almost Famous.
Can't believe I haven't seen this film before. Rock band on tour in the 70's with a young reporter on board. 8/10.

Manchester By The Sea.
Casey Affleck gives his very best performance as a broken man looking after his teenage nephew. 8/10.

Clean and Sober [1988] 8/10
Cokehead Michael Keaton hides from the cops in a rehab clinic when a woman overdoes in his bed. Counselor Morgan Freeman tries to make him face up to his problems.

Very enjoyable. Keaton is excellent. Darkly funny when he is at the depths of his addiction.

A Man For All Seasons [1966] 8/10
Paul Scofield is Sir Thomas More, who refuses to swear the Oath of Supremacy to Robert Shaw's Henry VIII.

Really good historical drama. Scofield is terrific. Orson Welles has a nice cameo as Cardinal Wolsey. John Hurt plays a great, snivelling betrayer.

Last edited:
5.5/10

8.5/10
Knock at the cabin was very good I thought, compared to my low expectations going in.

Ghostbusters Frozen Empire

I think others have posted views on this before. Lots of fun, and some good gags, but there are too many ghostbusters now, and as a consquence there were characters who didn't have anything to do with the main story arc.

Worth the £5 I spent on it!

Just tried to catch up on some action filns

Edge of tomorrow
7/10 solid sci-fi action which dies off a little at the end.

Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning
2/10 absolute shite. Badly shot, awful cheesy script, too convoluted and just bollocks really.
The 2 is for Hayley Atwell and Vanessa Kirkby

The Inside Man (on @Fletch73 recommendation) was a good movie. Not a great deal of dialogue but ticked along nicely and Angie Dickinson/Ann-Margaret certainly added some nice flavour. Action sequences were very much "of their time" and early 70's America wasn't sugar coated at all. 7.5/10

Get Carter (original) been meaning to watch this again and off the back of The Inside Man and was a great contrast as a similar time period but a very different feel. Dark, gritty and always felt like it was about to kick off big time, it's a great watch. Everyone knows about the Britt Ekland scene but the sex scene with the lass in the car was extremely well done, couldn't remember that at all. Back street Newcastle in the 70's, grim but there was some depth to the story which unravelled nicely. Better than I recall, 8.5/10

Kill the Irishman with the late Ray Stephenson based on true story of hardman/enforcer Danny Greene and his turf war with the local mob . Apparently one year Cleveland was worse than Belfast for car bombings.
was ok 06/10 Val kilmer and Christopher Walken also in it. Your run of the mill gangster stuff

Barbie 0/10 Shite how the hell Gosling got nominated for academy award i don't know.

8.5/10
that was one of the best films i've seen of recent months, and the ending is brilliant. i would imagine that its a bit like the Usual Suspects that having seen it once, you'll watch it the second time and its a different movie & you'll see things you didnt see first time round. i picked up on something half way throught that had me doubting i was watching what i was watching, and that it was akin to a game of 3D Chess... having read more about the story, its possible it was actually a game of 4D Chess...

Hunger [2008] 9/10
The story of Bobby Sands' 1981 hunger strike in the six weeks prior to his death.

Brilliantly directed. Loved the sparse dialogue. Fassbender is magnetic. The 17 minute, 1-take conversation is powerful.

Passages (2023)

Self centred German film director Tomas is in a relationship with Ben Wishaw but becomes infatuated with a woman while living in Paris. A love triangle ensues. Well acted indie and one that will probably mean Franz Rogowski becomes more known to English audiences going forward, he’s very good in this.

8/10

Back