SMB film thread 2024

Reptile - or to give it it's longer name, Over Two Hours of Shite

A crime drama with Benicio del Toro and Justin Timberlake.

It plodded on and I ended up losing interest and fast forwarded it and then turned it off.

If you love atmospheric shots of people looking thoughtfully into the distance or out of a window, or like Del Toro looking sideways at things, you'll like this.

2/10

Passages (2023)

Self centred German film director Tomas is in a relationship with Ben Wishaw but becomes infatuated with a woman while living in Paris. A love triangle ensues. Well acted indie and one that will probably mean Franz Rogowski becomes more known to English audiences going forward, he’s very good in this.

8/10
Wasn't mad about this, but have liked Rogowski for a while. He's very good in Christian Petzold's Transit [2018]. Still haven't got round to watching Victoria [2015] yet for some reason.

Reptile - or to give it it's longer name, Over Two Hours of Shite

A crime drama with Benicio del Toro and Justin Timberlake.

It plodded on and I ended up losing interest and fast forwarded it and then turned it off.

If you love atmospheric shots of people looking thoughtfully into the distance or out of a window, or like Del Toro looking sideways at things, you'll like this.

2/10

Agreed
Absolutely cack this mind.

Hunger [2008] 9/10
The story of Bobby Sands' 1981 hunger strike in the six weeks prior to his death.

Brilliantly directed. Loved the sparse dialogue. Fassbender is magnetic. The 17 minute, 1-take conversation is powerful.
Nowt to do with the film but I was just thinking about this yesterday when my memory was jogged watching This Town

I remember as a bairn being down Hendon and seeing graffiti 'If Bobby Sands dies.....' not sure why I'm posting this but it brought back a really vivid memory. 😁

As an aside to that I've never thought that much about it, but the speech in This Town made me realise how strong your resolve would have to be to carry this out, like it's not simply a case of just not eating. Political causes aside, it must be an incredibly difficult thing to do to put it mildly.

I guess the film covers this. Not sure if I would find it enjoyable but on the back of this current update in my thought process I should probably give it a watch.

I guess the film covers this. Not sure if I would find it enjoyable but on the back of this current update in my thought process I should probably give it a watch.
That's what the brilliant 17 minute, 1-take is. Michael Fassbender (Sands) and Liam Cunningham (a priest) sitting either side of a table in the visitor's room discussing why he intends to do it and the consequences. Really powerful stuff.

Shoshana (sky movies)

7.5/10

About the British occupation of Palestine in the late 30’s and through the war and how the CID tried to stop terrorism from both the Arab and Jewish population (terror groups) Based on true story. Film is mainly based on two British coppers hunting down a Jewish terrorist.

Really enjoyed it, good production.good performances.

Harry melling stars who I think is a class actor like.

Shoshana (sky movies)

7.5/10

About the British occupation of Palestine in the late 30’s and through the war and how the CID tried to stop terrorism from both the Arab and Jewish population (terror groups) Based on true story. Film is mainly based on two British coppers hunting down a Jewish terrorist.

Really enjoyed it, good production.good performances.

Harry melling stars who I think is a class actor like.
Sounds ok I'll look out for that

Hereditary

9/10

Missed this first time around, tried to watch it a few weeks ago and my stick died 30 minutes in. Finally sat down to try again last night and so glad I did.

Toni Collette is absolutely sensational and I thought Gabriel Byrne was also tremendous support. The dream sequences genuinely had me second guessing what was real and what wasn’t, a few really terrifying moments but mostly I just thought it was a really well executed film.

National Theatre Live: Grenfell [2023] 10/10
A verbatim play using interviews with survivors of the tragedy.

Very powerful. Will make you angry and sad. Watched with National Theatre at Home subscription.

Prey….predator vs red Indians
Was alreet, no where near as good as the original but few sequels ever are 6/10. Ok for a easy hour and half’s watch

Hunger [2008] 9/10
The story of Bobby Sands' 1981 hunger strike in the six weeks prior to his death.

Brilliantly directed. Loved the sparse dialogue. Fassbender is magnetic. The 17 minute, 1-take conversation is powerful.
Just watched.

Really good film that ta!

Hereditary

9/10

Missed this first time around, tried to watch it a few weeks ago and my stick died 30 minutes in. Finally sat down to try again last night and so glad I did.

Toni Collette is absolutely sensational and I thought Gabriel Byrne was also tremendous support. The dream sequences genuinely had me second guessing what was real and what wasn’t, a few really terrifying moments but mostly I just thought it was a really well executed film.
She’s absolutely brilliant in that. The car scene and the morning after was haunting.
Poor Things
Really enjoyed this.
8/10
To be fair it’s brilliantly executed and it’s Emma Stone shagging for two hours :lol:

Last edited:
Almost Famous (2000) - 6.5/10 - Watched this after someone recommended it on here. Like them I'd never really heard of it. Really enjoyed it. It was an extended version so was quite long but still decent and some excellent performances.

Really enjoyed and excellent performances but 6.5/10. Harsh critic!
Haha, I nearly pushed it to a 7! I think my scoring is out to be honest. I'd say it was above average but not a classic. There's not many movies I'd rate as a 10 (some classics). Most of the best would hit a 9 and a very good would be an 8. I'm fussy like and think most stuff is shite/average at best these days!

Dune part two. Really enjoyed it and didn’t feel almost three hours long but think I enjoyed it as a spectacle more than as a cohesive film, was a bit jumpy and not the easiest to follow. Still epic viewing and great soundtrack so I’ll still score it a potentially slightly generous 8.

Dune 2 [2024] 9/10

Not as good as the first. Felt like there had been some pretty big cuts in certain places. Still visually amazing, though. Needed more Florence Pugh.

Back