SMB film thread 2024

Rampart (2011)

Woody Harrelson is the cop hurtling towards ruin in this LA based drama. Think Bad Lieutenant with more sex. Harrelson throws himself into the role delivering a brilliant performance (and a good prequel to his character in True Detective) but the story sometimes seems unfocused - it could be this was deliberate due to the spiral of its main character, but for me it slowed the story.

6/10

The Unknown Soldier (2017)

World War 2 drama, subtitled Finnish movie. Follows a group of Finnish soldiers through the course of the war, beginning with the invasion of the Soviet Union in the summer of 1941 up to the eventual armistice in 1944. Contrasts between the fighting and their life with families when on leave. Covers the fighting over several summer and winter campaigns and their increasing disillusionment as the course of the war turns against Finland and they are forced to give up what they had won. Several of the group don't make it. Well shot with some striking scenery and gritty, uncompromising action scenes.
On Amazon Prime

The Unknown Soldier (2017)

World War 2 drama, subtitled Finnish movie. Follows a group of Finnish soldiers through the course of the war, beginning with the invasion of the Soviet Union in the summer of 1941 up to the eventual armistice in 1944. Contrasts between the fighting and their life with families when on leave. Covers the fighting over several summer and winter campaigns and their increasing disillusionment as the course of the war turns against Finland and they are forced to give up what they had won. Several of the group don't make it. Well shot with some striking scenery and gritty, uncompromising action scenes.
On Amazon Prime
Max Manus: Man of War is a good Finnish war film.

Days of Glory following African troops fighting for their French "motherland" another.

Leave The World Behind (2023) - 6.5/10 - End of the world movie starring Julia Roberts. I thought it was an interesting premise, focusing on our reliance on technology. Roberts character annoyed me though! :) [Netlfix]

The following two it turns out I had seen before but must have either been half-cut or fallen asleep at some point! Had vague recollections of parts of these but the missus (nah) knew the end etc.

My Son (2021) - 5/10 - James McAvoy as a father returning home from his work abroad as his son has gone missing. Seen these sorts of movies a thousand times (and this one itself once before!) but it seemed a bit cliched really. [Netflix]

Frozen Ground (2013) - 6.5/10 - Nicholas Cage as a detective investigating a Canadian serial killer in the '80's. True story also stars John Cusack. Decent enough! [Amazon]

Frozen Ground (2013) - 6.5/10 - Nicholas Cage as a detective investigating a Canadian serial killer in the '80's. True story also stars John Cusack. Decent enough! [Amazon]
Good film,based loosely on Robert Hansen the baker who would fly women into the Alaskan wilderness to hunt them.

Shooter (2007). Mark Wahlberg plays an ex army sniper framed for an assassination. The film follows his endeavour to find the truth amongst a myriad of shady government officials. 5/10. Easy watch, but a bit far fetched at times. Netflix.

Mississippi Burning (1988). First watch of this since we picked it apart in GCSE History in 1997. Brilliant film depicting racial tensions in the southern US. Gene Hackman at his imperious best. 9/10. Amazon prime.

Shooter (2007). Mark Wahlberg plays an ex army sniper framed for an assassination. The film follows his endeavour to find the truth amongst a myriad of shady government officials. 5/10. Easy watch, but a bit far fetched at times. Netflix.

Mississippi Burning (1988). First watch of this since we picked it apart in GCSE History in 1997. Brilliant film depicting racial tensions in the southern US. Gene Hackman at his imperious best. 9/10. Amazon prime.
Absolutely love Mississippi burning, Hackman and Defoe both superb

Zone Of Interest - superb. 9/10
Beautifully shot, clever, kind of horrificly funny in a grim way. And absolutely stays with you, as it should. Fantastic piece of art

Road House (2024)

No idea why the decided to ‘remake’ this but it truly was not a worthwhile exercise. Jake Gyllenhaal sleepwalks through the film and Connor McGregor is as poor an actor as you’d expect. Looks like it had minimal budget and feels like a made-for-tv production. 3/10

Road house (2024)

I must be in the minority, I enjoyed it. I thought it wasn’t too self aware and leant into the cheese of the original, I also thought it was the prefect role for McGregor and was actually impressed with his acting in some instances, given he’s never done it before.

I think this would have made a fortune at the cinema had it gone there but nevermind.

7/10

Road house (2024)

I must be in the minority, I enjoyed it. I thought it wasn’t too self aware and leant into the cheese of the original, I also thought it was the prefect role for McGregor and was actually impressed with his acting in some instances, given he’s never done it before.

I think this would have made a fortune at the cinema had it gone there but nevermind.

7/10
I thought he was okay anarl considering he’s not an actor.
(Can’t agree would have made fortune at cinema like), juts too poor a film)

Just back from Ghostbusters Frozen Empire and although it had the old New York Ghostbuster charm and 4 of the original group the story was very weak. The opening sequence was good to set the scene including the frozen baddie but the real threat didn't kick in until very late on. In the meantime there were numerous side plots, teenage angst and James Acaster popping up in a Q sort of role which was a bit odd but he wasn't given much to work with.
I know there have been various writer strikes but main story arc was very brief which let the whole movie down. Fine for another sequel and I enjoyed the initial reboot (not the one that shouldn't be mentioned) but it should have been tighter.
5.5/10

Back