Scan as you shop

The OP would have a heart attack if an Amazon Fresh ever opened up here. They sound class tho imo.

Morrisons are trialing it aswell no doubt for when Amazon eventually buy them over (I believe they will anyway).
You can do your Morrison’s shop on Amazon up here. Used it once when me and our lass had Covid.

I like it but only at Tesco as rarely visit the others. Annoying in Asda today as the tills had massive queues as only half were open....with two people supporting 16 self serve areas making it mega slow.

You can do your Morrison’s shop on Amazon up here. Used it once when me and our lass had Covid.

Nah it's a physical store Amazon Fresh. You scan to enter and then it tracks what you pick up and you just walk out without a till at all.

Morrisons are trialling one in their HQ aswell - https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/...s-uk-store-shoppers-walk-out-b946871.html?amp

Where does it stop though Bob? Automated farming? Systems and processes that operate 24/7 without people on slightly more than minimum wage?

The problem is: I would consider these things in my line of work as the cost savings are tangible. But when you step back and look at the global picture, everyone is doing the same, there’s a future inflated population coupled with a jobs shortage on the near horizon.

I don’t know what the answer is.
It happened with the weavers, it’ll happen with the checkout operators. New jobs will come in to replace them. Years ago, no one had heard of software developers or needed them.

It happened with the weavers, it’ll happen with the checkout operators. New jobs will come in to replace them. Years ago, no one had heard of software developers or needed them.
What happens when we automate the software developers?

What happens when we develop AI androids that outperform us at everything?

Maybe we could get a decent centre forward.

Yes. Yes it is. And local councils are letting them build as the investment and jobs promise is massive. But they’re very forward thinking and automation features highly on their agenda. I can see a time they are not manned.
There’s a book by Al Gore that he’s predicting the future. Wrote in 2013
One of the points was automated shopping, we would never need to go to a store again, everything would be packed by machines/robots, then delivered to us in automated vehicles

Mechanisation removed the need for farm workers and drove people towards cities to work in new industries. Yes, natural migrations do occur.

What’s your opinion on AI? It won’t negatively affect you in your lifetime. But there’s work effort going into development which may remove the need for developers in the future?

Playing devil’s advocate.

There’s a book by Al Gore that he’s predicting the future. Wrote in 2013
One of the points was automated shopping, we would never need to go to a store again, everything would be packed by machines/robots, then delivered to us in automated vehicles
Doesn’t sound like much of a Nostradamus. He predicted in 2013 that something that was already starting to happen, would happen.

Doesn’t sound like much of a Nostradamus. He predicted in 2013 that something that was already starting to happen, would happen.
He wasn’t trying to be some kinda of mystic :lol: he was just saying where the world will be.

It’s just one of the points he made. Some of the others

Car garages would be as useless as outhouses. automated cars will make using your own car a pointless expense.

Building houses would be done by 3D printing the structure right at the site. Making it a much cheaper and effective option.

This isn’t some look at the year 3000 it’s all what’s happening and is possible in our lifetime

Mechanisation removed the need for farm workers and drove people towards cities to work in new industries. Yes, natural migrations do occur.

What’s your opinion on AI? It won’t negatively affect you in your lifetime. But there’s work effort going into development which may remove the need for developers in the future?

Playing devil’s advocate.
AI has its uses. As with mechanisation, it’ll remove some of the tedium in work.

Things that were once expensive will become cheaper: just like it did with the frankfurter; once the king of German sausages only available to those who could pay the cost of paying someone to manual grind up meat to a superfine consistency. Mechanisation has reduced it to the lowest form.

AI will have the biggest impact in medicine/surgery and legal. A lot of this work is cerebral and labour intensive, which is a perfect candidate for AI to do the donkey work.

The real benefit will be where it enhances a professionals skills rather than replacing them.

The OP would have a heart attack if an Amazon Fresh ever opened up here. They sound class tho imo.

Morrisons are trialing it aswell no doubt for when Amazon eventually buy them over (I believe they will anyway).
Amazon has opened an Amazon Fresh store in London, no scanning or tills, you simply pick the items you want and walk out, they email you your receipt and debit your account.

Back