Scan as you shop

Normally just got to scan ten different items innit?
We're trained to try to pick things people might "forget" to scan and to pick at least on thing that has other products on top in case someone is trying to be clever and hide something.

But for my company the likelyhood of someone stealing is low due to how easy it is to identity the thief with customer accounts and that. So really being a pain and not just picking the 10 easiest things to get is more for show to be an effective deterrent.

This argument has been going for ages now , intro self service tills - taking away people’s jobs , online shopping - taking away people’s jobs , scan as you go - taking away people’s jobs and yet the supermarkets continue to recruit ?

The benefits need to be mentioned aswell though, lower prices, quicker shopping, better returns on investments (pensions) in these shops, ..... would you rather have increased prices to avoid the tech? I wouldn’t.

So howcome the cheapo supermarkets (Aldi and Lidl) don't usually have self checkouts?
dunno but it’s a pain when you’ve done 3 or 4 weeks at Sainsbury’s then think ‘I’ll have a cheapo week’ and have to gan on with the hassle in aldi or lidl. Queuing down the aisles like a chump.
Their fruit and veg is a disgrace.

This argument has been going for ages now , intro self service tills - taking away people’s jobs , online shopping - taking away people’s jobs , scan as you go - taking away people’s jobs and yet the supermarkets continue to recruit ?
Still have to put the stock on the shelves. That's what really determines hours of labour. How much we sell. A self shopper buying 50 items is doing more to keep me in a job than the person getting me to scan 10 items through a till.

Still have to put the stock on the shelves. That's what really determines hours of labour. How much we sell. A self shopper buying 50 items is doing more to keep me in a job than the person getting me to scan 10 items through a till.
Yep and loads are employed now as pickers for home deliveries

Yep and loads are employed now as pickers for home deliveries
Not just that but for us in Convenience Deliveroo and Uber Eats are rolling out more in stores so need people to do those orders which are very time sensitive. A nearby store to mine went on Deliveroo earlier this year and is now accounting for around 15% of sales.

Not just that but for us in Convenience Deliveroo and Uber Eats are rolling out more in stores so need people to do those orders which are very time sensitive. A nearby store to mine went on Deliveroo earlier this year and is now accounting for around 15% of sales.
That’s a massive amount like , Covid has changed the way so many of us shop for ever

That’s a massive amount like , Covid has changed the way so many of us shop for ever
It has. Even in my shop. While sales are down, we used to do just over 50% of our trade in the first half of hour operating hours (so until 3pm). Now it's more like 66% of the trade coming after 3pm.

I had a trip down to Leeds recently to collect a roof truss for a home project. I stopped at the KFC at Wolviston on the way back as my son was starving. Anyway, a minimum of six Uber drivers were cycling in and out for the duration of my wait and I’d have estimated the sold more via this than the did the drive through or walk ins combined.

I had a trip down to Leeds recently to collect a roof truss for a home project. I stopped at the KFC at Wolviston on the way back as my son was starving. Anyway, a minimum of six Uber drivers were cycling in and out for the duration of my wait and I’d have estimated the sold more via this than the did the drive through or walk ins combined.
I think Covid will have made that happen for eating places. I wonder if it lasts a long time for the more fast food places as it's more expensive to do so, but suddenly take away options for a night can now be a chain restaurant as well as a local pizza/kebab place.

Back