Scan as you shop

It's easiest thing ever really. Scan each item, pack it into bags. Pay, then walk out.

The main problem is the random checks, but it happens maybe 1in 5 times, always when you're in a hurry.

Problem was, it wouldn't scan very easily. Took an age to register

I tried it once and I would chuck half a dozen things in the trolley and then remember I hadn't scanned. Cue retro-scanning of items. I can't decide if I was ripped off or the store. I guess that you become used to it, in which case it's a positive.

Where does it stop though Bob? Automated farming? Systems and processes that operate 24/7 without people on slightly more than minimum wage?

The problem is: I would consider these things in my line of work as the cost savings are tangible. But when you step back and look at the global picture, everyone is doing the same, there’s a future inflated population coupled with a jobs shortage on the near horizon.

I don’t know what the answer is.

Universal income? Might be done way away but AI can now diagnose cancer from scans to a higher degree of accuracy than the words best oncologists. Issues remain around the legal position when things go wrong but massive changes to the world if work are coming.

Hopefully society uses this to its advantage and we gain more tike to do the stuff we enjoy...

For the spot checks, say you bought 3 of the same thing..... and only scanned one. Would it not alert them on a spot check as it registers you have scanned one?

Just thinking how much I could save on my weekly shop.

Universal income? Might be done way away but AI can now diagnose cancer from scans to a higher degree of accuracy than the words best oncologists. Issues remain around the legal position when things go wrong but massive changes to the world if work are coming.

Hopefully society uses this to its advantage and we gain more tike to do the stuff we enjoy...
When automated systems were first introduced and people were worried about jobs it was sold as a way to give humans more time to do things other than going to work, and don't worry about where your wages are coming from because there'll be so much money everyone will be looked after.

Instead there's so much money they likes of Bezos can spend billions f***ing about with his dildo rocket while paying his staff minimum wage.

I tried it twice - once when my youngest was there - I picked, she scanned. Worked a treat, until we had to unpack everything at the end. Second time, on my own, I gave up. Takes way longer to stop and scan rather than just getting into a scanning rhythm at the end. Shan't be doing it again, but I expect that supermarkets will reduce the number of tills more and more and the queues get bigger and bigger until you are foreced to do it.

I tried it twice - once when my youngest was there - I picked, she scanned. Worked a treat, until we had to unpack everything at the end. Second time, on my own, I gave up. Takes way longer to stop and scan rather than just getting into a scanning rhythm at the end. Shan't be doing it again, but I expect that supermarkets will reduce the number of tills more and more and the queues get bigger and bigger until you are foreced to do it.

Not sure if it’s Google tracking or otherwise, but I saw a clip only today where the scanner was built into the basket, so you swipe and scan as you put the time in. Makes some sense.

Why did you have to unpack everything at the end?

Why did you have to unpack everything at the end?

first time they check a sample of 10 thing to make sure you haven't missed anything, if you have they do the whole lot. If everything is right they'll only check the 10 items every now and then. I can't remember the last time I had mine checked

I once designed a system where you could put rfid chips on the products and 3 or 4 scanners in the trolley/basket that would automatically register when you placed an item in the trolley/basket. You would have registered your card on a chip and pin on the trolley/basket wandered in filled your trolley/basketand been auto charged as you left the shop. There were teething issues like and the VC wanted half just for his backing.

Once Amazon have completed their network of mega-warehouses and people migrate to online only shopping, other supermarkets will follow suit. Soon, there’ll be no reason to leave home.

Another airport sized Amazon mega structure facility currently under construction at Follingsby Park.

I once designed a system where you could put rfid chips on the products and 3 or 4 scanners in the trolley/basket that would automatically register when you placed an item in the trolley/basket. You would have registered your card on a chip and pin on the trolley/basket wandered in filled your trolley/basketand been auto charged as you left the shop. There were teething issues like and the VC wanted half just for his backing.

That outdoor wear shop at team valley have a system like this. It's magic.

Back