Saying goodbye to your dog

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Mol's greatest talent was catching balls. The local cricket team asked if she would play in the slips until I pointed out that she would have no teeth left. Her greatest accomplishment was her ability to catch flies her reactions were so fast. Don't ask me about the day she caught a wasp by mistake or nearly chased a fox in to my house! I have a thousand wonderful memories of the greatest dog the rest of mankind never knew about :lol:

Awww she sounds class :cool:

Our Suzy was a fly catcher. One would buzz across the room and she'd leap in the air and catch it mid-flight :lol:

Sorry for your loss mate just think you gave her 17 amazing years she was lucky to have you and you her. Know how you feel had to get my boy put to sleep coming up 4yr ago the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do.
The bedlington we have now has a cancerous tumour on his leg nothing they can do for him :( luckily the vet said he’s not in pain

I never wanted a dog. In fact I was dead against it.
As I am soft I ended up with a very big daft Old English Sheepdog.

I'll be honest, when the family isn't looking or I am on the hills he'll get more attention than my wife (not in that way).
I feel for you mate....I used to dismiss these threads.

RIP. My thoughts are with you.

I never wanted a dog. In fact I was dead against it.
As I am soft I ended up with a very big daft Old English Sheepdog.

I'll be honest, when the family isn't looking or I am on the hills he'll get more attention than my wife (not in that way).
I feel for you mate....I used to dismiss these threads.

RIP. My thoughts are with you.
I am very much afraid that I have to tell you that you are a "dog lover" - there will neve be any escape - lucky you. They are the most amazing animals . Is there any two species that have such a bond? Is anyone aware of another two species that are so close?

I took mine on Saturday. We got him from Dogs Trust back in 2001. Still questioning whether we did the right thing, awful feeling.

He was 16, had serious bad breath due to liver problems, was becoming incontinent, was deaf and was becoming less active.

Actually after reading the above, it does feel like the right thing to do.

My eldest, who is 8 was crying all day yesterday! She is gutted!

I took mine on Saturday. We got him from Dogs Trust back in 2001. Still questioning whether we did the right thing, awful feeling.

He was 16, had serious bad breath due to liver problems, was becoming incontinent, was deaf and was becoming less active.

So sorry for your loss. This sounds very like my Molly. She had been deaf for several years. She could hear a sharp sound, like if you clapped your hands or sneezed suddenly, but not just generally calling her. She had been incontinent for over a year, but as downstairs is all laminate flooring, it was just a case of mopping up after her. But then her back legs started to give way underneath her from time to time, or sometimes they weren’t strong enough to push her up when she wanted to stand, and sometimes she would fall if she had to negotiate steps (even just the doorstep when she wanted to go into the garden).

She still got excited at the thought of going for a walk, but would turn back as soon as she got a couple of houses up the road, and sometimes before she’d even got to the end of our garden path, and she spent most of the time just lying on her bed, so it was time to let her go.

It’s 10 days simce I let her go. I’ve made up a box with her collar, lead, tennis balls, brush, some fur off her bed, that sort of thing. She had two “beds”, big cushion type ones. I’d bought the second to replace the first that was getting old, but somehow she ended up just having one in the kitchen and one in the front room instead. I’ve binned the old one, but can’t bring myself to get rid of the newer one just yet. I’ve given it a wash and moved it into the kitchen, so it’s not in my eyeline all the time, but that’s as much as I want to do at the minute

It’s silly things that get me upset. All the time she was here, I never noticed that the house had a doggy smell, but I really noticed it from the first few days afterwards. Yesterday was the first time I’d carved a Sunday joint and not been able to give her the bone, and this morning I’ve eaten a bacon sandwich in peace for the first time. I even miss having to hoover up her hairs, and mop up her wees, or pick up her mess from the garden; all the things I used to hate doing when she was alive!

16 is a cracking age for a dog. He obviously had a troubled start to end up at Dogs Trust, but you've made the rest of his life a brilliant one. Once they start suffering with ailments, it is kinder to let them fall asleep and leave us peacefully, than get worse and suffer. Feel for the bairn. He'll have been her best mate and she probably a kind of comfort blanket, like one of mine is with my youngest. It'll get easier in time, but it is really hard to go through. Love to you all xx

It’s silly things that get me upset. All the time she was here, I never noticed that the house had a doggy smell, but I really noticed it from the first few days afterwards. Yesterday was the first time I’d carved a Sunday joint and not been able to give her the bone, and this morning I’ve eaten a bacon sandwich in peace for the first time. I even miss having to hoover up her hairs, and mop up her wees, or pick up her mess from the garden; all the things I used to hate doing when she was alive!

Still thinking of you and sending hugs and a peck on the cheek xx

So sorry for your loss. This sounds very like my Molly. She had been deaf for several years. She could hear a sharp sound, like if you clapped your hands or sneezed suddenly, but not just generally calling her. She had been incontinent for over a year, but as downstairs is all laminate flooring, it was just a case of mopping up after her. But then her back legs started to give way underneath her from time to time, or sometimes they weren’t strong enough to push her up when she wanted to stand, and sometimes she would fall if she had to negotiate steps (even just the doorstep when she wanted to go into the garden).

She still got excited at the thought of going for a walk, but would turn back as soon as she got a couple of houses up the road, and sometimes before she’d even got to the end of our garden path, and she spent most of the time just lying on her bed, so it was time to let her go.

It’s 10 days simce I let her go. I’ve made up a box with her collar, lead, tennis balls, brush, some fur off her bed, that sort of thing. She had two “beds”, big cushion type ones. I’d bought the second to replace the first that was getting old, but somehow she ended up just having one in the kitchen and one in the front room instead. I’ve binned the old one, but can’t bring myself to get rid of the newer one just yet. I’ve given it a wash and moved it into the kitchen, so it’s not in my eyeline all the time, but that’s as much as I want to do at the minute

Not sure what to say apart from I know exactly how hard it is to make the final decision, your post has helped me make a decision about Alf, he’s in the same position as Molly, his back end is giving way, he’s dragging his feet, can’t walk very far, etc....phoning the vets today to make the worst appointment for tomorrow. Today he’s going to be pampered to fuck then out for the longest walk he can manage in the morning. Got to tell the kids today what’s happening, not looking forward to that.

Not sure what to say apart from I know exactly how hard it is to make the final decision, your post has helped me make a decision about Alf, he’s in the same position as Molly, his back end is giving way, he’s dragging his feet, can’t walk very far, etc....phoning the vets today to make the worst appointment for tomorrow. Today he’s going to be pampered to fuck then out for the longest walk he can manage in the morning. Got to tell the kids today what’s happening, not looking forward to that.

My thoughts are with you and Alfie. Hard choice to make but you have to put your friends health and quality of life first.

It is never the right time for us to let them go. But you know when it is the right thing for them and have to ensure that they do not suffer when there is no need.

Been through it with three best mates in my life, all different boys and all the best friends ever at the time they were with me. Each indivdual and a topper.

It gets easier in time but although gone they are never forgotten as they stay in your thoughts and memories.

Photographs remind you of good times. The loss fades with time......but memories stay forever. My sympathy to all who have gone or going through this horrible but necessary process.

You did the absolutely right thing mate what sort of a person would you be if you didn't question yourself and feel bad about it. My Mol just would never have got better she would have got worse and more confused and afraid and that really sucks . Our dogs depend upon us to provide them with a long and happy life and to do the right thing when its time. This is the price that we pay for their love and loyalty.

My heart goes out to your daughter it must be very very difficult for her to understand but trust me she will never blame her Mam or Dad and she will understand things more as she gets older. Our dogs help us prepare for the sad events that we must face in our lives. When its the right time I am sure that your daughter will have you back at the Dogs Trust. I know my Mrs and I are not up to that at the moment but in the months to come we will find new friend.

16 is a cracking age for a dog. He obviously had a troubled start to end up at Dogs Trust, but you've made the rest of his life a brilliant one. Once they start suffering with ailments, it is kinder to let them fall asleep and leave us peacefully, than get worse and suffer. Feel for the bairn. He'll have been her best mate and she probably a kind of comfort blanket, like one of mine is with my youngest. It'll get easier in time, but it is really hard to go through. Love to you all xx

Still thinking of you and sending hugs and a peck on the cheek xx

Becs, his mother was a stray he was born there

Have a wonderful day today mate we shall be thinking of your family and Alf tomorrow. My Mol experienced no pain and very quickly went to her gentle rest.

Really would like a German Shepherd, but is it really fair? Me and the wife both work during the week, although I could take it to work with me, would really like to take it to proper training classes.

I don’t want to lumber me mam and dad with it either as they are both retired.

Had to let my dog go to the great kennel in the sky this morning. She’s been my best friend and companion for nearly 17 years, seen me through marriage and divorce, and the birth of my youngest. I’m absolutely broken hearted today. I keep seeing her bed and wondering where she is.

I suppose I should get rid of her bed and bowls and suchlike, at least put them somewhere where I can’t see them, but I just can’t bring myself to just yet. Can’t even bring myself to mop the muddy paw prints off the floor from where she came in from the garden for the last time just before I took her to the vet. She didn’t have any real quality of life by the end, but I still feel guilty for letting her go.
It all depends on what feels 'right' to the individual.
We lost our Suzie 18 months ago , yet her bed, lead, vaccination card and coat are still over near the radiator in the very room i'm sitting in now.
She used to follow me upstairs all the time, and towards the end i'd carry her up and down the stairs as she needed it.

We have 3 dogs and I think the world of all 3 of them, but I still miss my little Suzie so much.
It's fair to say she had 'issues', but I wouldn't have swapped her for the world.

I was getting upset reading this thread last week because I knew id have to be saying goodbye to our 11 year old Staffy, Rosko at some point in the not too distant future.

It ended up happening this morning and I am just lost now. Took him home at 6 weeks old and he has been my absolute best mate ever since. His health deteriorated over the weekend and his heart was starting to fail this morning, he wouldnt have made it, but its still so hard. Just knowing the days of him greeting you when you walk through the door, grabbing a shoe and his tail hitting everything is just absolutely heartbreaking beyond words.

I just cant believe that his time with us is over now. Atleast there’s endless happy memories ❤️

Logon or register to see this image

Last edited:
I was getting upset reading this thread last week because I knew id have to be saying goodbye to our 11 year old Staffy, Rosko at some point in the not too distant future.

It ended up happening this morning and I am just lost now. Took him home at 6 weeks old and he has been my absolute best mate ever since. His health deteriorated over the weekend and his heart was starting to fail this morning, he wouldnt have made it, but its still so hard. Just knowing the days of him greeting you when you walk through the door, grabbing a shoe and his tail hitting everything is just absolutely heartbreaking beyond words.

I just cant believe that his time with us is over now. Atleast there’s endless happy memories ❤️

The picture did it for me. :D :cry:

Don't forget all the happy memories he had of you and the family. I'm sure he knew he was loved. ;)

Sorry for your loss. Try and remember the good times you had together. It helps.

You did the right thing mate, but don't hang on to stuff.

A friend of a colleague had her lab put to sleep (she was very old and could barely walk) but the lady still has a room in her house as a shrine to the dog (pictures, lit candles and constant fresh flowers), and can't go various routes through her village where they used to walk, because it upsets her. The dog was put down nearly 2 years ago.
I don’t go on about me dad like that never mind a pet. Were they married? It does happen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back