Saying goodbye to your dog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lost the avatar on July 1st, 2016 and still miss her every day. She was only 9 and had an inoperable bony growth in her chest cavity - probably been there since birth and grown with her - that was pressing on her lungs and windpipe meaning she couldn't breathe when lying down. She was fine in every other respect.

It broke my heart into bits when she ran down the driveway and leapt into the back of the car on the day we decided to take to the vets for the last time. Took me months before I could even talk about her without tearing up.

I'll never forget the look on her face in the vets as we held her steady for the needle - the one that said "Okay, I'll put up with this. But you owe me a trip to the beach when I wake up". I honestly don't know how I drove home.

We knew it was the right thing to do but it didn't help at the time.

We now look back with fondness at the memories we have of our time with her. Time does heal - it just sometimes takes a while.

I keep her as my avatar as she reminds me of the great times we had when she was part of our family - her lovely, gentle nature (despite her size and the way she looked) and often her absolute stupidity when confronted with something she wasn't keen on - always had us in stitches.

Stick in mate. It will get better. I promise.

Got something in my eye.

Had to let my dog go to the great kennel in the sky this morning. She’s been my best friend and companion for nearly 17 years, seen me through marriage and divorce, and the birth of my youngest. I’m absolutely broken hearted today. I keep seeing her bed and wondering where she is.

I suppose I should get rid of her bed and bowls and suchlike, at least put them somewhere where I can’t see them, but I just can’t bring myself to just yet. Can’t even bring myself to mop the muddy paw prints off the floor from where she came in from the garden for the last time just before I took her to the vet. She didn’t have any real quality of life by the end, but I still feel guilty for letting her go.
It's a wounder mate but you did the right thing, dogs are amazing companions, I can only hope you get another one soon.

Had to let my dog go to the great kennel in the sky this morning. She’s been my best friend and companion for nearly 17 years, seen me through marriage and divorce, and the birth of my youngest. I’m absolutely broken hearted today. I keep seeing her bed and wondering where she is.

I suppose I should get rid of her bed and bowls and suchlike, at least put them somewhere where I can’t see them, but I just can’t bring myself to just yet. Can’t even bring myself to mop the muddy paw prints off the floor from where she came in from the garden for the last time just before I took her to the vet. She didn’t have any real quality of life by the end, but I still feel guilty for letting her go.

Its heartbreaking, i had to get my Staffy put to sleep over 2 and half years ago and it killed me doing it, he was me best mate. I cried like a bairn for ages! Vowed never to get another as i couldnt replace him but after a while (2.5 years) we decided to go for it and bought a french Bulldog. He is absolutely class and really makes it worthwhile getting him, couldnt be without him!
Time makes it better mate but believe me i know exactly what you are going through, keep your chin up and you will know when you are ready to do it all again if that time comes.

Lost our absolutely beloved boy (we've had other dogs who've come and gone but he was our first and longest lived) between Christmas and New Year - his control of his back end had gone and he was really starting to suffer with dementia (and he'd never been the sharpest pencil in the box to start with)... absolutely heartbreaking. I still keep expecting a nose prod for an "oi I want an ear scratch right now" from him to this day. It's actually only looking back at photos of him that it becomes crystal clear just how much he'd slowly declined and lost his quality of life mind - you really don't notice it creeping up on you.

With the amount that bugger shed though I'll still be finding enough of his hair to reconstruct him for the next decade.

Its heartbreaking, i had to get my Staffy put to sleep over 2 and half years ago and it killed me doing it, he was me best mate. I cried like a bairn for ages! Vowed never to get another as i couldnt replace him but after a while (2.5 years) we decided to go for it and bought a french Bulldog. He is absolutely class and really makes it worthwhile getting him, couldnt be without him!
Time makes it better mate but believe me i know exactly what you are going through, keep your chin up and you will know when you are ready to do it all again if that time comes.

Staffies are beautiful animals. Shame the way some now see them as a charver dog. Think if I ever got another dog I'd go with that or a British Bulldog.

I posted my commiserations to @Kevin Arnott's right boot on the loss of his faithful pal and said it was a decision that the Mrs and I would have to face in the near future. When I got up this morning I did not realise that it would be today.

Molly our 14 year old English Springer had a mild stroke while we walked with her at lunch time and completely lost the use of her back legs and some of her sight. We both decided that enough was enough and poor Molly was put to sleep in the back of our car in my wife's arms by our local vet at 3-30 pm today

Bugger!

I posted my commiserations to @Kevin Arnott's right boot on the loss of his faithful pal and said it was a decision that the Mrs and I would have to face in the near future. When I got up this morning I did not realise that it would be today.

Molly our 14 year old English Springer had a mild stroke while we walked with her at lunch time and completely lost the use of her back legs and some of her sight. We both decided that enough was enough and poor Molly was put to sleep in the back of our car in my wife's arms by our local vet at 3-30 pm today

Bugger!
Mine was called Molly too.

So sorry for your loss.

That brought a tear to my eye....
Sorry to hear this :cry:
You did the right thing though....we just give them the best lives possible while we can...

Bugger!
Beautiful dog. I'm in bits here.

Staffies are beautiful animals. Shame the way some now see them as a charver dog. Think if I ever got another dog I'd go with that or a British Bulldog.

There was a Staffie loose on Brixton Hill and I parked the car up on a central reservation, left a small child in the car and went and caught the dog. They have such a bad reputation people were too scared to catch her. I called her Jubilee as it was the Jubilee and took her to Battersea.
Sweet natured dog but they had to put her down.
Still makes me sad.

We had a cat almost from birth (beautiful thing) and it died aged 5 or so the other month. I let it out as i usually do late at night; it normally roamed the streets and was waiting outside the back door normally the following morning to get back in (although had been known to literally jump up a height and on to the window ledge and let itself in an open window).

I think it was the day of the Burton Albion game it never came back and we got wind that a cat had died just along the road following a Facebook appeal. We duly found it dead. It had been crossing the road, it looked like, and had been bumped by a car as its eye was all up and the side of its head was smashed. It hadnt died instantly but had crawled off to die.

The thought of it lying dying by itself is what got me and my wife and our then 13 year old daughter was in tears for days. Took my wife a good 2 months to get over it.

We have 3 dogs. :(

Simple way of saying, its not good and hopefully you will come to terms with it. Difficult but necessary.

Bugger!

So sorry to hear that. She's a bonny lass. It's an awful thing to go through. Sending my love xx

My Sam had a stroke and I went through similar with him. He was a wannabe goalkeeper. If you kicked a football at him, he'd jump up on his hind legs and punch it away with his front paws :lol:

The thought of it lying dying by itself is what got me and my wife and our then 13 year old daughter was in tears for days.

That's really sad that. Sorry to hear that too and it would upset me xx

Last edited by a moderator:
We lost our boxer 6 month ago. He was only 5. I was walking him and he just lay down next to me and was gone. The vet said he likely had a massive heart attack with it being so quick. Didn't seem in pain and glad I was there with him but horrible thing to happen. He seemed as fit as anything. I carried him back home which wasn't easy the size of him!

Get what your saying about not knowing what to do after. We still have his lead, collar, bowls, bed etc. Seems daft but can't part with them.

That must have been awful :(

So sorry to hear that. She's a bonny lass. It's an awful thing to go through. Sending my love xx

My Sam had a stroke and I went through similar with him. He was a wannabe goalkeeper. If you kicked a football at him, he'd jump up on his hind legs and punch it away with his front paws :lol:

That's really sad that. Sorry to hear that too and it would upset me xx
My Mol's greatest talent was catching balls. The local cricket team asked if she would play in the slips until I pointed out that she would have no teeth left. Her greatest accomplishment was her ability to catch flies her reactions were so fast. Don't ask me about the day she caught a wasp by mistake or nearly chased a fox in to my house! I have a thousand wonderful memories of the greatest dog the rest of mankind never knew about :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back