Saying goodbye to your dog

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was getting upset reading this thread last week because I knew id have to be saying goodbye to our 11 year old Staffy, Rosko at some point in the not too distant future.

It ended up happening this morning and I am just lost now. Took him home at 6 weeks old and he has been my absolute best mate ever since. His health deteriorated over the weekend and his heart was starting to fail this morning, he wouldnt have made it, but its still so hard. Just knowing the days of him greeting you when you walk through the door, grabbing a shoe and his tail hitting everything is just absolutely heartbreaking beyond words.

I just cant believe that his time with us is over now. Atleast there’s endless happy memories ❤️

Logon or register to see this image

Aww that smile is absolutely class. He definitely had a superb life. Loads of love xx

I’ve been putting off reading this thread, as you may know I’ve got 2 westies, both 14 1/2. They are both slowing down, one a lot more than the other, I can’t face losing one never mind both of them. We bought a puppy 18 months ago in preparation for losing one of them so the other would have another dog around. I really think it’s harder to lose a dog because you can’t explain to them what is happening, to the OP you definitely did the right thing, I just hope when the time comes I can be as strong as you.

I don’t go on about me dad like that never mind a pet. Were they married? It does happen
Apparently she didn't have kids, but treat the dog like one. My colleague is very good friends with her, and says she's been having counseling to try to help come to terms with her dog's death.

Edit ; the counseling isn't working.

Apparently she didn't have kids, but treat the dog like one. My colleague is very good friends with her, and says she's been having counseling to try to help come to terms with her dog's death.

Edit ; the counseling isn't working.
She needs to get her money back and buy another dog

I’ve been putting off reading this thread, as you may know I’ve got 2 westies, both 14 1/2. They are both slowing down, one a lot more than the other, I can’t face losing one never mind both of them. We bought a puppy 18 months ago in preparation for losing one of them so the other would have another dog around. I really think it’s harder to lose a dog because you can’t explain to them what is happening, to the OP you definitely did the right thing, I just hope when the time comes I can be as strong as you.
Dogs don't care. They live for now

So sorry for your loss. This sounds very like my Molly. She had been deaf for several years. She could hear a sharp sound, like if you clapped your hands or sneezed suddenly, but not just generally calling her. She had been incontinent for over a year, but as downstairs is all laminate flooring, it was just a case of mopping up after her. But then her back legs started to give way underneath her from time to time, or sometimes they weren’t strong enough to push her up when she wanted to stand, and sometimes she would fall if she had to negotiate steps (even just the doorstep when she wanted to go into the garden).

She still got excited at the thought of going for a walk, but would turn back as soon as she got a couple of houses up the road, and sometimes before she’d even got to the end of our garden path, and she spent most of the time just lying on her bed, so it was time to let her go.

It’s 10 days simce I let her go. I’ve made up a box with her collar, lead, tennis balls, brush, some fur off her bed, that sort of thing. She had two “beds”, big cushion type ones. I’d bought the second to replace the first that was getting old, but somehow she ended up just having one in the kitchen and one in the front room instead. I’ve binned the old one, but can’t bring myself to get rid of the newer one just yet. I’ve given it a wash and moved it into the kitchen, so it’s not in my eyeline all the time, but that’s as much as I want to do at the minute

It’s silly things that get me upset. All the time she was here, I never noticed that the house had a doggy smell, but I really noticed it from the first few days afterwards. Yesterday was the first time I’d carved a Sunday joint and not been able to give her the bone, and this morning I’ve eaten a bacon sandwich in peace for the first time. I even miss having to hoover up her hairs, and mop up her wees, or pick up her mess from the garden; all the things I used to hate doing when she was alive!
I put 3 clem on when ours died.

Last edited:
Had to let my dog go to the great kennel in the sky this morning. She’s been my best friend and companion for nearly 17 years, seen me through marriage and divorce, and the birth of my youngest. I’m absolutely broken hearted today. I keep seeing her bed and wondering where she is.

I suppose I should get rid of her bed and bowls and suchlike, at least put them somewhere where I can’t see them, but I just can’t bring myself to just yet. Can’t even bring myself to mop the muddy paw prints off the floor from where she came in from the garden for the last time just before I took her to the vet. She didn’t have any real quality of life by the end, but I still feel guilty for letting her go.
I'm afraid you will have the lead weight in your stomach for a while. But you did the right thing. In the end the joy, love, loyalty and support you exchanged with her will lead you to another dog and the sheer joy will begin all over again.

I'm afraid you will have the lead weight in your stomach for a while. But you did the right thing. In the end the joy, love, loyalty and support you exchanged with her will lead you to another dog and the sheer joy will begin all over again.

Lovely post mate and so true.

The last dog that I grieved for was a Corgi / Alsatian cross. I got her from a dogs home at a guessed age of 10 months. She had a wonky heart and hated being in a car. The theory was that she had been discarded by being thrown from one.

She deloped arthritis early, at about 9, just to add to all of that. We moved from the south side of the English Channel down to the South West of France, into the sun which eased her arthritis and hugely extended her life.

She wasn't a pet, she was a member of our family. We all loved her. Just after her 21st (yes, 21st) birthday, yes, really, she went quetly out of the house into the sun, lay down and passed away. We were devastated.

She is buried under a cherry tree that we planted for her outside the farmhouse with her bed, a play bone and her collar.

It took us nearly a year to get over the loss. Now she has been continued (not replaced) by an incredibly loving, familiale amusing and loyal Beauceron. We got him at 8 weeks and hope for another long life.

I don't know where dogs go, but I hope she can see him. She would approve.

The last dog that I grieved for was a Corgi / Alsatian cross. I got her from a dogs home at a guessed age of 10 months. She had a wonky heart and hated being in a car. The theory was that she had been discarded by being thrown from one.

She deloped arthritis early, at about 9, just to add to all of that. We moved from the south side of the English Channel down to the South West of France, into the sun which eased her arthritis and hugely extended her life.

She wasn't a pet, she was a member of our family. We all loved her. Just after her 21st (yes, 21st) birthday, yes, really, she went quetly out of the house into the sun, lay down and passed away. We were devastated.

She is buried under a cherry tree that we planted for her outside the farmhouse with her bed, a play bone and her collar.

It took us nearly a year to get over the loss. Now she has been continued (not replaced) by an incredibly loving, familiale amusing and loyal Beauceron. We got him at 8 weeks and hope for another long life.

What a lovley post , and thoughts to everyone who's lost a pet on this thread xxx

My mam and dad had to have their dog put to sleep this morning. My dad is 72 and the dog was his life he took it everywhere. First time I've seen him cry in my lifetime.

God man I haven't even chopped onions for days.

Great post.

When our dog passed away, I went into work the next day and something got mentioned and I got emotional. Bloke I worked with was a former marine, big burly bloke.. dragged me into his office and told me to cry! Stated they’re a member of the family and nothing could break that bond. I’ll never forget that!

I lost my corgi/alsatian cross in august. She was just over 18 and it killed me. We lost her "sister" who we got at the same time on the 11th of this month at 18 and a half and the house is empty without them. I feel for anyone who has had to go through this. It' awful knowing we had to make the decision for them.

The picture did it for me. :D :cry:

Don't forget all the happy memories he had of you and the family. I'm sure he knew he was loved. ;)

Cheers Dagzd, I think he did :)

Sorry for your loss. Try and remember the good times you had together. It helps.
Cheers Jimmer, all ive done today is think about how he made everyone laugh. Greatdog :)

Aww that smile is absolutely class. He definitely had a superb life. Loads of love xx
Thank you Becs :)

I was getting upset reading this thread last week because I knew id have to be saying goodbye to our 11 year old Staffy, Rosko at some point in the not too distant future.

It ended up happening this morning and I am just lost now. Took him home at 6 weeks old and he has been my absolute best mate ever since. His health deteriorated over the weekend and his heart was starting to fail this morning, he wouldnt have made it, but its still so hard. Just knowing the days of him greeting you when you walk through the door, grabbing a shoe and his tail hitting everything is just absolutely heartbreaking beyond words.

I just cant believe that his time with us is over now. Atleast there’s endless happy memories ❤️

Logon or register to see this image
Looks a proper character! Before too long you'll have a smile on your face every time you think of him I'm sure.
Sorry for your loss, looks like a real "best mate" sort of dog.

Looks a proper character! Before too long you'll have a smile on your face every time you think of him I'm sure.
Sorry for your loss, looks like a real "best mate" sort of dog.
Cheers marra,

Aye he definitely was like, the sort of dog that was always happy when you got home and immediately wanted to go out in the garden for chase his ball :lol:

My mam and dad had to have their dog put to sleep this morning. My dad is 72 and the dog was his life he took it everywhere. First time I've seen him cry in my lifetime.

Old guy round here got a puppy about the same time we got the awesome idiotic dog we lost at Christmas. My dog and his absolutely loathed each other and would try to murder each other absolutely everytime they crossed paths locally - but I was walking our surviving dog a few weeks ago and he just came over and handed me a roll of poo bags cos he'd just had his guy put down. Poor fella was absolutely and utterly broken - I've never seen a guy look so completely shattered.

Dont know why i read these friggin threads. Had to take 2 dogs to be put to sleep over the years. They were family dogs.

Me and the Mrs have had Millie 6 years in July, the 1st dog that is my own I suppose so bonded more with her, when she was 3, from the RGT. Best thing we ever did, but Jesus it kills you when they have to go. I dread to think what we'll be like when its Millie's turn to go. She's lying on her back on the floor next to me now, legs akimbo the tart. She's a daddy's girl (which narks the Mrs at times ).

Gonna take her to the beach as she loves it (despite hating water) when the Mrs finishes work at 2pm.

Condolences to those that have their loved ones on this thread.

Sort yourself out in time then do your pal the ultimate compliment. Get another one.

I lost my old boy back in April, a week after initially reading this thread. Ive been really down about it and got myself into the mindset that getting another dog would be wrong and disloyal and kept telling myself i cant get one yet. But this post stayed in my head. On tuesday we picked up our new pooch. Hes a 4 year old rescue who was found a stray and he now we have given him a home and its an amazing feeling and I do feel like it is the best compliment to my old boy to help out another dog like him.
Thank you, your post really helped me out alot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back