Saying goodbye to your dog

You did the right thing mate, but don't hang on to stuff.

A friend of a colleague had her lab put to sleep (she was very old and could barely walk) but the lady still has a room in her house as a shrine to the dog (pictures, lit candles and constant fresh flowers), and can't go various routes through her village where they used to walk, because it upsets her. The dog was put down nearly 2 years ago.

Had to let my dog go to the great kennel in the sky this morning. She’s been my best friend and companion for nearly 17 years, seen me through marriage and divorce, and the birth of my youngest. I’m absolutely broken hearted today. I keep seeing her bed and wondering where she is.

I suppose I should get rid of her bed and bowls and suchlike, at least put them somewhere where I can’t see them, but I just can’t bring myself to just yet. Can’t even bring myself to mop the muddy paw prints off the floor from where she came in from the garden for the last time just before I took her to the vet. She didn’t have any real quality of life by the end, but I still feel guilty for letting her go.

One of the hardest things I have done in my life is say goodbye to my dog/best mate. Took me ages put his items away in a memory box. I still go for a walk around our usual walks on his 18th October, his birthday and the 6th April, the date he died.

We lost ours before the decision had to be made ( was coming)
Bloody leave a big hole, house just seems quieter.

You did the right thing ....hard as it is

It's gut wrenching, 17 is a great innings though - lot's of great memories banked. Our Border Terrier is 15 now, the old fossil still has great quality of life but you know it's in the offing soon. I know I'll be in bits, I hope to god he just dozes off to eternal sleep one day..

Lost our collie about 5 yrs ago and I still look to where his bed was expecting him to be there and when I open the door my heart still misses a beat when he doesn’t come running. Dogs are ace and the fact you are hurting says lots about you as a real dog owner. 17 yrs every day is a big dog size hole in your ticker.

Had to let my dog go to the great kennel in the sky this morning. She’s been my best friend and companion for nearly 17 years, seen me through marriage and divorce, and the birth of my youngest. I’m absolutely broken hearted today. I keep seeing her bed and wondering where she is.

I suppose I should get rid of her bed and bowls and suchlike, at least put them somewhere where I can’t see them, but I just can’t bring myself to just yet. Can’t even bring myself to mop the muddy paw prints off the floor from where she came in from the garden for the last time just before I took her to the vet. She didn’t have any real quality of life by the end, but I still feel guilty for letting her go.

I’m sorry for you loss mate. I had to put my dog to sleep in November. She was the first dog I have ever had and it’s the worst experience I’ve ever gone through. It’s heartbreaking beyond words.

Keep your chin up mate and remember the time you had together.

Remember that a life is a story, and a story is a sequence of events that creates memories. Keep her alive by remembering her and she will never truly be gone from your life.

Sympathies to the OP. I had to have my seventeen year old poodle put to sleep just over a year ago and it still breaks my heart thinking of her. Strangely enough I sometimes see her out of the corner of my eye, sitting on the half landing, or the tail end of her rushing up the stairs when my daughter goes to bed. I even still feel her sitting on my knee when I’m watching tv!

We’ve talked about getting another dog but it still feels too soon, but I can’t imagine never having another dog at some point. I put the urn containing her ashes into her bed and we have put it in the dining room with all of her other bits and pieces. When I go, my daughter will put the urn in with me so we will be together forever.

I would say that it gets easier as time goes by, but I’m not sure that is true. Maybe we just get accustomed to missing them and it becomes the normal for us. I know that the heart of my house has gone though.

Lost the avatar on July 1st, 2016 and still miss her every day. She was only 9 and had an inoperable bony growth in her chest cavity - probably been there since birth and grown with her - that was pressing on her lungs and windpipe meaning she couldn't breathe when lying down. She was fine in every other respect.

It broke my heart into bits when she ran down the driveway and leapt into the back of the car on the day we decided to take to the vets for the last time. Took me months before I could even talk about her without tearing up.

I'll never forget the look on her face in the vets as we held her steady for the needle - the one that said "Okay, I'll put up with this. But you owe me a trip to the beach when I wake up". I honestly don't know how I drove home.

We knew it was the right thing to do but it didn't help at the time.

We now look back with fondness at the memories we have of our time with her. Time does heal - it just sometimes takes a while.

I keep her as my avatar as she reminds me of the great times we had when she was part of our family - her lovely, gentle nature (despite her size and the way she looked) and often her absolute stupidity when confronted with something she wasn't keen on - always had us in stitches.

Stick in mate. It will get better. I promise.

I feel for you mate.

That's very tough mate but you have done absolutely the right thing by her and she has been very very fortunate to be well cared for and loved by you for 17 years - that's a remarkable age.
I put a picture up of our Mol today on another thread. She is 14 years old now and is in pain with arthritis . We are keeping a very close eye on her with the help of the Vet because we don't want her suffer unduly but at the moment she is still enjoying life. There will however come a time in the near future when like yourself we shall have to do what is right by her and it will be very hard. I suspect that I shall feel just as guilty about it as you but who would not if they had the great fortune of having such a friend?

You done the right thing by your dog when it's quality of life is poor.
Had to let ours go last December and she was only 5.
Hardest thing we have ever had to do but it was the right thing for Poppy.
We are getting a new dog in a few weeks time, He won' replace her but make her passing easier to bear.

One of the hardest things I have done in my life is say goodbye to my dog/best mate. Took me ages put his items away in a memory box. I still go for a walk around our usual walks on his 18th October, his birthday and the 6th April, the date he died.
Same birthday as my Mam. :lol:

Mate you did the right thing. Posted this before and you need this.

Right now you are grieving and no dog could replace the one you have just lost.
Up on that dog pedestal where quite rightly so we place the one just lost.
You have to go through this process like all other dog lovers that have lost their best friend.

At the right time though you should get another one. You will love this dog just the same and albeit will love it’s personality and for sure it will be different.

There is a dog out there that one day needs you because of your post and dogs need great owners.
Heartbreaking I know but the pain goes.
No doubt running around with my Labs in the sky. Sally, Ben and Joe.

I feel your pain. We had to say goodbye to ours in November. Still got his rug in the corner of the room which we can't bring ourselves to move.

I have had to do it a few times in my lifetime and it gets no easier broke my heart every time. When people say it's just like losing one of the family I could not agree more although it may sound daft to some. The last one was cremated and I scattered his ashes on our favourite walks so even now I can have a bit yap (I know) with him when I am out. Take no notice of anyone, grieve in your own way and time. Every sympathy mate.

Back