Saying goodbye to your dog

There’s absolutely nothing worse than losing a furry marra. I’d be remembering all the good stuff and having a good cry with a massive bowl of ice cream, me.

Oh, and don’t watch Marley and Me, fuck, that’ll scar you for life.

Lost the avatar on July 1st, 2016 and still miss her every day. She was only 9 and had an inoperable bony growth in her chest cavity - probably been there since birth and grown with her - that was pressing on her lungs and windpipe meaning she couldn't breathe when lying down. She was fine in every other respect.

It broke my heart into bits when she ran down the driveway and leapt into the back of the car on the day we decided to take to the vets for the last time. Took me months before I could even talk about her without tearing up.

I'll never forget the look on her face in the vets as we held her steady for the needle - the one that said "Okay, I'll put up with this. But you owe me a trip to the beach when I wake up". I honestly don't know how I drove home.

We knew it was the right thing to do but it didn't help at the time.

We now look back with fondness at the memories we have of our time with her. Time does heal - it just sometimes takes a while.

I keep her as my avatar as she reminds me of the great times we had when she was part of our family - her lovely, gentle nature (despite her size and the way she looked) and often her absolute stupidity when confronted with something she wasn't keen on - always had us in stitches.

Stick in mate. It will get better. I promise.
I have always loved Alsations so so loyal. My favourite was called Stray Dog. As his name suggests I found him or rather he found us. He lay on the waste ground near our house all day and as it was getting dark I coaxed him in with a bit of meat. When i got him in the house I found wire embedded round his neck I remember stopping up all night bathing his neck, I had him for another five or six years after that. loved him.

Really sorry mate.

I have one now, first ever pet (I'm 40...) & she's great. Better to have loved & lost & all that.

Sort yourself out in time then do your pal the ultimate compliment. Get another one.

Really sorry mate.

I have one now, first ever pet (I'm 40...) & she's great. Better to have loved & lost & all that.

Sort yourself out in time then do your pal the ultimate compliment. Get another one.
I have had seven in total and loved all of them grieved six of them but would not change it for the world.

Had to let my dog go to the great kennel in the sky this morning. She’s been my best friend and companion for nearly 17 years, seen me through marriage and divorce, and the birth of my youngest. I’m absolutely broken hearted today. I keep seeing her bed and wondering where she is.

I suppose I should get rid of her bed and bowls and suchlike, at least put them somewhere where I can’t see them, but I just can’t bring myself to just yet. Can’t even bring myself to mop the muddy paw prints off the floor from where she came in from the garden for the last time just before I took her to the vet. She didn’t have any real quality of life by the end, but I still feel guilty for letting her go.
You did the right thing and you’re definitely a responsible owner albeit she was part of your family, however must go cos there’s quite a bit of dust in our living room and it’s getting in my eyes ( try and think of the happy times mate )

Sorry to hear that mate :(. We lost ours (11) in October and it was a really difficult time, buried her in the back garden under the tree she'd always charge at to catch the squirrels. It was difficult taking the other one on a walk and everyone asking where she was ect. An old bloke who asked about her put it best; 'Nobody lasts for ever and you give her a fantastic life'. Scary how often she turns up in my dreams though!

Had to let my dog go to the great kennel in the sky this morning. She’s been my best friend and companion for nearly 17 years, seen me through marriage and divorce, and the birth of my youngest. I’m absolutely broken hearted today. I keep seeing her bed and wondering where she is.

I suppose I should get rid of her bed and bowls and suchlike, at least put them somewhere where I can’t see them, but I just can’t bring myself to just yet. Can’t even bring myself to mop the muddy paw prints off the floor from where she came in from the garden for the last time just before I took her to the vet. She didn’t have any real quality of life by the end, but I still feel guilty for letting her go.
Thoughts with you mate. We lost our fella 2 days before Xmas and it was the saddest time for us as a family. You won’t ever forget her but thinking of the good times and her little ways will bring a little smile now and again.

Got something in my eye reading this thread. Thoughts with you fella. Can't comprehend losing little Monty like, he's 3 and a half but I know one day...:(

Oh FFS man , its a bastard what your going thru , chin up mate , mine went 18 month ago , wife insisting we not having another , decided am having one after we get back from our summer hols, wish I had done it sooner , maybe you should mate.

Oh FFS man , its a bastard what your going thru , chin up mate , mine went 18 month ago , wife insisting we not having another , decided am having one after we get back from our summer hols, wish I had done it sooner , maybe you should mate.

Looks like a collision course there, tiptoptap. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sympathies are with you. Our pets become part of the immediate family and give you unconditional love and likes all their days until they fill your heart and soul.

You bond and become a part of each other. Have lost 3 best mates due to old age and illness, over the years all different dogs in breed, temperement and character.

Not one replaced the other but all gsve love and received love. I still think of each one with fondness and memories years later. The grief dies but they are always missed and talked about even now. Things will get get easier in time, even though you cannot see that now.

As long as you remember and chat about the good times tigrther then they are always still with you.

We lost ours in August just before 13th birthday, vet came out to the house and she died looking into our eyes. Canny distressing tbh, I’d already dug a grave in the back garden so she was wrapped in her favourite blanket and buried with her lead etc. Got a little bird bath type thing where we buried her. Still think about her loads

We lost our boxer 6 month ago. He was only 5. I was walking him and he just lay down next to me and was gone. The vet said he likely had a massive heart attack with it being so quick. Didn't seem in pain and glad I was there with him but horrible thing to happen. He seemed as fit as anything. I carried him back home which wasn't easy the size of him!

Get what your saying about not knowing what to do after. We still have his lead, collar, bowls, bed etc. Seems daft but can't part with them.

:cry:Feel for you mate, it’s heartbreaking...I’ve got to make a decision about Alf this week I think.

Back