Saying goodbye to your dog

Had to let my dog go to the great kennel in the sky this morning. She’s been my best friend and companion for nearly 17 years, seen me through marriage and divorce, and the birth of my youngest. I’m absolutely broken hearted today. I keep seeing her bed and wondering where she is.

I suppose I should get rid of her bed and bowls and suchlike, at least put them somewhere where I can’t see them, but I just can’t bring myself to just yet. Can’t even bring myself to mop the muddy paw prints off the floor from where she came in from the garden for the last time just before I took her to the vet. She didn’t have any real quality of life by the end, but I still feel guilty for letting her go.

Had to let my dog go to the great kennel in the sky this morning. She’s been my best friend and companion for nearly 17 years, seen me through marriage and divorce, and the birth of my youngest. I’m absolutely broken hearted today. I keep seeing her bed and wondering where she is.

I suppose I should get rid of her bed and bowls and suchlike, at least put them somewhere where I can’t see them, but I just can’t bring myself to just yet. Can’t even bring myself to mop the muddy paw prints off the floor from where she came in from the garden for the last time just before I took her to the vet. She didn’t have any real quality of life by the end, but I still feel guilty for letting her go.
Aye it's heartbreaking when it happens, I got another within a year, it's almost as if it's a reincarnation, same breed and colour love him to bits, but will never forget the one that I lost. Best of luck to you mate.

You did the right thing, and what you're feeling is natural. Just allow yourself to grieve, and remind yourself that you gave her the best possible life and were with her until the end.

No you have absolutely done the right thing. My best ever dog was put down in front of me while she ate and licked at the smoked salmon from my hand. I still - 19 years later - look back and remember the great times/ fantastic walks and general other stuff that she brought to my life. Look after yourself, let time do its thing and and you will know when it's right to do the other bits. All the best.

Don't feel guilty pet. She's been poorly for a while and it was kinder to let her go. You've looked after her well and you couldn't have done anything more.

I know how much you loved her and you gave her a cracking life. Sending a git big massive hug.

Really gutted for you. Love you loads xx

So sorry to hear of the loss of your lovely friend fella, big (((hugs))) to you - take it easy, move her stuff when you're ready xx :cry:

I’ve done it about half a dozen times and it never got any easier...one of the saddest experiences you will ever encounter...you know it’s for the best but there’s always the feeling that yo have let them down...especially if you stay with them while the vet does the business...they look at you as if you are going to help them....very very sad...I found it easier when one of the dogs died of old age....took Ill shortly after eating a bowl of food....and died in my arms...no pain ... will always remember it as it was the day Princess Diana died

So sorry to hear that mate. At least she isn't suffering now. Keep remembering the great times.

Mine went just before Christmas (October time) and it took me ages to get used to the fact she wasn’t there, edging doors open so as to not catch her paws, the routine we had for her and the fact she was the only one in the house who never gave me grief.

Every now and then my daughter asks where she is (she’s three) and I get a little lump in my throat.

As has been said, time will heal.

It’s a real heartbreaker, but it has to be done rather than letting them suffer.
Lost mine nine months ago and was lost without him.
Six weeks later I bought a pup with a totally different character.
I’ve never tried to replace like with like, not really a good idea imo .

Back