Ryanair...

For what, telling you where to sit on what is their own plane?
Some right soft cocks in the world now who can't be a few seats apart from their other half for a couple of hours, how insecure can people be.
Some people will bend over and take literally anything, won't they!

Just more context. Parents have to sit next to kids by law. So Ryanair obviously comply with this rule. By applying a mandatory charge to both passengers! :lol:

Just more context. Parents have to sit next to kids by law. So Ryanair obviously comply with this rule. By applying a mandatory charge to both passengers! :lol:

You buy a flight ticket and that gets you a seat on a plane, is sitting away from your mates or the other half for a couple of hours really that traumatic for you? Worried someone might try and chat your mrs up and she won't be able to say no?

Parents sitting away from kids is different entirely

Kids plus 1 adult get free seat reservation with ryanair

Kids plus 1 adult get free seat reservation with ryanair
I must have mis-read.

Actually, its a bit both:

"For bookings made from 1 September, adults travelling with under-12s will be obliged to buy one reserved seat per family, at £4 (or €4 for flights commencing in the euro zone). The children will receive reserved seats free of charge, as will the other parent if they are travelling."

I must have mis-read.

Actually, its a bit both:

"For bookings made from 1 September, adults travelling with under-12s will be obliged to buy one reserved seat per family, at £4 (or €4 for flights commencing in the euro zone). The children will receive reserved seats free of charge, as will the other parent if they are travelling."

Pretty much always been that - 1 adult and the kids is free, additional adult pays - only becomes an issue if theres more than 2 kids tbf cos one adult and 2 kids make 1 row

Pretty much always been that - 1 adult and the kids is free, additional adult pays - only becomes an issue if theres more than 2 kids tbf cos one adult and 2 kids make 1 row
They way I read that is the first adult pays, and the child and 2nd parent is free.

Just bought a flight earlier with priority boarding and 2 bags on board. The priority bit was 25% of the original ticket cost (on top).

I'm not suggesting suitcases be allowed on. Just a bag big enough for a weekend away.
too many people were taking the piss

they had no choice imho

Makes sense. There's little room in the cabin as it is, without people bringing on suitcases and filling up all the space.

I think everyone should only be allowed one small bag. That would be enough hold all your essentials and stuff needed on the flight and they'd be space for everyone to stow bags and jackets above their seat.
i agree, too many flights delayed because of people taking the piss with the overheads

then the wait to get them all put in the hold. as long as they keep it free then i have no issue with it

We've just come back from Portugal using Ryanair. Flights were cheap and on time both ways - actually early getting in to Faro.

On the way out from Newcastle, we ensured the cases and the backpacks didn't weigh more than 10kgs each and that they were within the size restrictions. (My backpack is one of those mini, hiking types which was actually slightly too big but I reckoned I could argue it would fold down to the necessary size and fit under a seat no bother).

At the last minute we paid for priority boarding on the outward flight only (£4 each - special offer of 30% off). At the check-in desk we told them we had priority boarding and were told to go straight up to the security area. We went through security with a bit of a faff about the number of toiletries etc. but, apart from that, no real hassle. At boarding time we walked out to the plane, put all our gear in the overhead lockers, and sat down.

At no point did anyone measure or weigh our hand luggage to see if it met their constraints.

Coming back from Faro was exactly the same, apart from we had to hand our small suitcases over to go in the hold as we hadn't bothered to pay for the priority boarding on the way back.

Why stress people out and threaten all kinds of additional, on-the-spot fines/costs if your luggage doesn't meet their specifications when they don't even bother to check them in the first place?

Do they only check hand-luggage that look over-sized or overweight to the naked eye?

Or does the fact that they offer Ryanair-branded hand-luggage on their website have anything to do with it? (made by Samsonite, so won't be cheap.)

Or am I just being cynical?

We've just come back from Portugal using Ryanair. Flights were cheap and on time both ways - actually early getting in to Faro.

On the way out from Newcastle, we ensured the cases and the backpacks didn't weigh more than 10kgs each and that they were within the size restrictions. (My backpack is one of those mini, hiking types which was actually slightly too big but I reckoned I could argue it would fold down to the necessary size and fit under a seat no bother).

At the last minute we paid for priority boarding on the outward flight only (£4 each - special offer of 30% off). At the check-in desk we told them we had priority boarding and were told to go straight up to the security area. We went through security with a bit of a faff about the number of toiletries etc. but, apart from that, no real hassle. At boarding time we walked out to the plane, put all our gear in the overhead lockers, and sat down.

At no point did anyone measure or weigh our hand luggage to see if it met their constraints.

Coming back from Faro was exactly the same, apart from we had to hand our small suitcases over to go in the hold as we hadn't bothered to pay for the priority boarding on the way back.

Why stress people out and threaten all kinds of additional, on-the-spot fines/costs if your luggage doesn't meet their specifications when they don't even bother to check them in the first place?

Do they only check hand-luggage that look over-sized or overweight to the naked eye?

Or does the fact that they offer Ryanair-branded hand-luggage on their website have anything to do with it? (made by Samsonite, so won't be cheap.)

they build time in their schedules so that they are consistently on time or early.

stick a flight time an extra 20 minutes and bobs your uncle

they build time in their schedules so that they are consistently on time or early.

stick a flight time an extra 20 minutes and bobs your uncle
Don't really mind that, to be fair. More of them should do it, if that's the case.

Makes planning your schedule on arrival a bit easier.

Could do without the sh!tty, triumphant fanfare when they do land on time, though. Wtf is all that about?

Last edited:

Depends where you fly and how busy they expect the flight to be. I've had my bag put into one of those little cage things to measure the size of it a few times. Most of the time they don't bother with that though unless you're quite blatantly taking the piss.

Back