Running thread 2022

Anybody whos done GNR in the past, best advice for parking somewhere and getting Metro in?

Considering SoL Metro station, then just jumping on the Metro - however not sure if it'll be rammed, anybody any experience of it?
Wherever you park , get there early
Great North Runners - how are we feeling?

Personally, could be better. Did 13k at goal pace on Friday and I’m doing my final intensity session today, but quite a short one.
I feel nervous this year, had a foot injury a couple of weeks ago and feel underprepared, but If I get anywhere under 2hrs 20 I'll be happy.

Last edited:
Fingers crossed for you mate. What did you do to your foot?

I’d desperately like to get under 2:00. If I just miss out due to getting caught behind people I won’t be too gutted.
Bruised the ball of my right foot overdoing a run, that's a good target to aim for. I'm running to the Tyne Bridge with my mate, he suffers from arthritis in his big toes, so has to walk every other mile. Hoping that will stop me going off to quick. Good luck tomorrow mate 👍

Have a good run tomorrow everyone.
I did my parkrun today and will do 4-5 miles in the morning with my running group in preparation for my half in October. Should get back and watch GNR on tv. I did my first ever double figures run on Thursday-a whole 10 miles. Didn't post an update then due to the sad news. My tight calves also seem to have been sorted after a trip to a sports massage person I was recommended.

Well, no chance of hitting any of my targets this year! Not going to set anything in future. Body is too unreliable now. Still getting plenty of miles in, but not what I wanted at all.

Took over coaching my daughter's football team too, training clashes with main club night and that's my biggest disappointment for the year.
Thought I'd not seen you for ages. You going to try and do a few of the cross country runs?

1 hour 41 About as good as I was expecting.

Anyone else find the new routes to the start areas orange/white a bit of a shambles. Never had much bother getting to start area before but there were massive queues and bottle necks. Poorly organised today.

Aye it was a nightmare. No idea why they didn’t just do the usual of checking when you entered a pen.

It didn’t help that loads of people basically just jumped the fence and avoided the queues.

Well done on your time marra, cracking run.

Back