Running thread 2022

Last week before Kielder Marathon on Sunday, feels odd doing bot all beforehand after 12 weeks of seemingly non-stop training.

Anyone else doing it?

Last week before Kielder Marathon on Sunday, feels odd doing bot all beforehand after 12 weeks of seemingly non-stop training.

Anyone else doing it?
I'm doing it, 1st ever Marathon. I fell into the trap of "Britain's Most Beautiful" marathon before finding out it should be called "Britain's Hardest". Got to say I'm not looking forward to it.

I'm doing it, 1st ever Marathon. I fell into the trap of "Britain's Most Beautiful" marathon before finding out it should be called "Britain's Hardest". Got to say I'm not looking forward to it.

First for me too, been hammering the hills in preparation but nervous about not doing the distance before.

Hoping for under 4 hours but see how it goes.

First for me too, been hammering the hills in preparation but nervous about not doing the distance before.

Hoping for under 4 hours but see how it goes.
I've done plenty of hill's in prep. Only got to 20 miles in training and that was back in August. I've been going at 4hr pace in training for the 20 miles I've done but I think looking at the elevation I'll be happy under 4:30 but just getting round would be class.

Good Luck.

I've done plenty of hill's in prep. Only got to 20 miles in training and that was back in August. I've been going at 4hr pace in training for the 20 miles I've done but I think looking at the elevation I'll be happy under 4:30 but just getting round would be class.

Good Luck.
I did what looks like the same course for dark skies, it wasnt so much the hills its the constant up and down undulation that got to me very few flat bits just the nature of a path round I guess.

Injuries injuries injuries….. can anybody help here?

Knee and ankle are just in bits from running at the moment. Never long distance just 5-8k. Always had knee problems and piriformis syndrome, almost fixed that about 18mths ago with help from a very pricey physio (probably not worth it al told). Was at my peak until about 3 months ago when I had to stop running for about 7 weeks due to a small operation.

Now I’m back at it an I understand my fitness and pace will be down, I can get that. But my knee injury has returned and I’ve developed a completely rancid ankle. Takes about 10 mins to warm up. Frustrating as fuck. Anybody struggle with constant niggles? How are you getting through them?

I’m about 1min per I’m down on my pre-op pace so not exactly pushing hard either.

Any advice, products and exercises would be a mega help.

Help. My first half marathon is a week Sunday. Typically my partner tested positive for covid this morning. I have a headache, sore throat and sniffs. I've tested negative but last time it took about 3 days for a positive and it completely floored me for 2-3 months but that was pre vaccine. I do suspect I have it but even if not I've got a cold and feeling pretty crap. To date I've been good at following my plan, increasing long run steadily most weeks culminating in 12 miles last Thursday). Has anyone been in a similar position a week and a half before a race Would you do?
  • Keep to your plan (8 miles tonight; 3 & 4 miles sat/sun; 4 Tues; 3 Thurs.
  • Maybe keep running sessions but reduce mileage to 3
  • Rest and see how I feel at the end of next week and possibly get a couple of miles in Thur and fri
  • Total rest

Help. My first half marathon is a week Sunday. Typically my partner tested positive for covid this morning. I have a headache, sore throat and sniffs. I've tested negative but last time it took about 3 days for a positive and it completely floored me for 2-3 months but that was pre vaccine. I do suspect I have it but even if not I've got a cold and feeling pretty crap. To date I've been good at following my plan, increasing long run steadily most weeks culminating in 12 miles last Thursday). Has anyone been in a similar position a week and a half before a race Would you do?
  • Rest and see how I feel at the end of next week and possibly get a couple of miles in Thur and fri
  • Total rest
Hi TAD, I tested positive the Sunday before Manchester marathon. I was gutted. I did a little 5k on the Tuesday and Friday to see how I felt and decicded to run it. It was my 6th marathon and no doubt the hardest and I would put that down to the covid

• Total rest
Personally I would rest and see how I feel at the end of next week, you have the miles in your legs if you did 12 miles last week so focus on getting better first.

Thanks @Hooky and @VodkaBob . I agree resting for the next few days is probably the best option and see how I feel next week. There's no hurry if I do get to the start line and if it is covid and I'm too ill to complete I know I was ready and there's always the Saturn run in November for a half. My main goal is marathon next year so need to remember that.

Injuries injuries injuries….. can anybody help here?

Knee and ankle are just in bits from running at the moment. Never long distance just 5-8k. Always had knee problems and piriformis syndrome, almost fixed that about 18mths ago with help from a very pricey physio (probably not worth it al told). Was at my peak until about 3 months ago when I had to stop running for about 7 weeks due to a small operation.

Now I’m back at it an I understand my fitness and pace will be down, I can get that. But my knee injury has returned and I’ve developed a completely rancid ankle. Takes about 10 mins to warm up. Frustrating as fuck. Anybody struggle with constant niggles? How are you getting through them?

I’m about 1min per I’m down on my pre-op pace so not exactly pushing hard either.

Any advice, products and exercises would be a mega help.
Same for me. Only started regular running during COVID as footy wasn't available as an exercise anymore. Got up to 10ks but loads of knee injuries, then found i had some arthritic stuff in my left knee. Took three months off after some intermittent attempts to keep going, and the left knee is fine but the bastard right knee is the problem now.

I am still running but do loads of warm up and stretches, and go slower than I used to. I am back up to regular 5ks and aim to push slowly back up to 10k again. I seemed to lose a lot in terms of fitness and stamina with those three months off. I guess it doesn't help i changed jobs in December and went from a (shit) job where i was walking about 15k steps a day to a (great) job that has me sat at a desk doing about 50 steps a day!

• Total rest

I tested + on 27th of December. Isolated & did no exercise at all for 10 days. Ran Brass Monkey ½ Marathon on 16th of Jan. I was about 10mins slower than I'd have expected if I hadn't had covid but otherwise fine.

Back