Running thread 2022

To get back running regularly. I've gone 6 months without running, last time I did that was 2001....when I took up running in an effort to lose weight. I'm the fattest, heaviest and laziest I've been for 20 years. It's utterly depressing
Are you going running tomorrow?

Are you going running tomorrow?
I hope so, but I'm now so unfit I'll have to wait til it gets dark so that I'm not embarrassed if I get spotted by someone I know since I'll be so slow.

When I started running in 2001, I went from struggling to do 3 miles in under 30mins to running GNR in 1.31, sub 4 hour marathon and 9.1 miles in 60mins.

Even as recently as 2019, I set myself a target of running 200k per month for 12 months. I managed it apart from one month when I had achilles issues.

It just feels like it'll be a huge task to get any level of fitness back

I hope you manage to sort it out.
Cheers Dan , soon as start body just says no , not enjoyable when running thru pain all time so bit pointless , most would just pack in or do what Pottsy did and have a full gap year, try again in the spring as god loves a trier😆😆
I hope so, but I'm now so unfit I'll have to wait til it gets dark so that I'm not embarrassed if I get spotted by someone I know since I'll be so slow.

When I started running in 2001, I went from struggling to do 3 miles in under 30mins to running GNR in 1.31, sub 4 hour marathon and 9.1 miles in 60mins.

Even as recently as 2019, I set myself a target of running 200k per month for 12 months. I managed it apart from one month when I had achilles issues.

Make it happen 👊👊

Last edited:

Just think, you're out there making a change, you'll end up inspiring people. You've got this.

Happy New Year to all!

Sub 3:00 standard duathlon. Doing Derwent Resevoir again. Bike is quite hilly. That’ll be taking 25 minutes off last year so will have to find a lot.

Sub 1:55 HM. PB is 2:09.

Run a marathon. Never done the distance before.

Good luck all!

I spent the better part of last year with various niggles, I gave up in the autumn and retreated to the swimming pool, at least 4 swims per week.

I now appear to be mended but I’m going to continue to mix the swimming with running.

Immediate upcoming plans are the Pier to Pier and Blaydon, loads of time to get right for those and then look at some half’s later in the year.

Don’t want to pressure myself time wise too much, I just want to stay fit and see what happens.

I've not been specific in terms of times, I have previously done that and they haven't motivated me much, and I wasn't bothered when I reached them.

My view / aim for running this year is to make as much progress as possible in distances from 5k to ultra.

That said I have a 5k race in Spring and an Ultra in July which I specifically want to do well in.

Last edited:

Back