Running Thread 2018

Yes I avoid running indoors too, if I can’t run then cardio sessions are on the rower or bike. I’m under 70kg and I am about 5’ 8” so quite lean.

Spot on weight really.
I made a point of doing my long runs in heat last summer, just so I could build up a resistance/tolerance to it. The HR was a bit high at times, but like everything else, your body becomes accustomed to it.

Does anyone else run better/faster/easier when it is colder?

I felt great today even though it was a bit cool and misty, not a bit of a struggle aerobically.

Maybe I have had an infection without realising.

I wish.

Colder weather, particularly when it's also wet, tends to exacerbate my gout so I generally time my training cycles to ease off a bit during the winter months.

I'd still rather be out running in the cold & wet though than slogging away on a dreadmill indoors like some sort of insane hamster.

I wish.

Colder weather, particularly when it's also wet, tends to exacerbate my gout so I generally time my training cycles to ease off a bit during the winter months.

I'd still rather be out running in the cold & wet though than slogging away on a dreadmill indoors like some sort of insane hamster.
I'll have to watch out for this. I'm only going out a maximum three times a week at the moment but I'm finding that mixing it up with the gym on my days off has actually been beneficial although I don't use the treadmill. Thoroughly sick of the gout now, it's a massive inconvenience.

I'll have to watch out for this. I'm only going out a maximum three times a week at the moment but I'm finding that mixing it up with the gym on my days off has actually been beneficial although I don't use the treadmill. Thoroughly sick of the gout now, it's a massive inconvenience.

I run into problems if my feet get wet & cold early on in a long run & I don't get a chance to get them warm & dry again reasonably quickly so I'm ok on say a parkrun but on something like a 10k tempo run or a wet & muddy cross country I'm pushing my luck. This is my 1st winter since I switched to Febuxostat though & I've also got some GoreTex running shoes to keep my feet a bit dryer so maybe I'll be able to keep the training intensity up this year.

How many miles for the year then? 614 here ,just got into it this year though . Target 1000 next year

Last couple months being the best, got me mate to pace me on a 10k and got my second and third best 5 k times on it, took a few minutes off my park run time and lashed another couple off that at the track in the following weeks. Got the bug for the times now
Strava reckons 1745 miles.

I wouldn’t be able to run at this time, I have to have eaten something. And then I have to leave it to digest for at least 90 mins.

Did you have anything to eat?
Ate half an energy bar but it was only fifteen minutes before I went out. Sensible thing would be to eat something and let it digest but if I didn't get the run out of the way early, I wouldn't do it.

I wouldn’t be able to run at this time, I have to have eaten something. And then I have to leave it to digest for at least 90 mins.

Did you have anything to eat?

If you keep doing it your body adapts & becomes more ketogenic but it depends on what you eat as well. If I just have a banana & some water I can be out the door 15 mins after getting out of bed & stay out for at least a couple of hours without anything else if I pace it right. It took quite a while to get to that point though & if I have overnight oats instead then I need to let it settle for a good hour but then I can go faster &/or longer without taking anything more than a bit of water out with me..

Cracking 10k in the pissing down rain at 6am today. Fastest one of the year and the first time I've managed two in a week since my foot went mental in April. Think my toe is about to drop off now but I enjoyed it.:lol:
Was tempted to sign up for the Sunderland Half yesterday but don't want to tempt fate. It's definitely the target but it won't sell out so I'll wait until a bit closer to the time before signing up. Into the New Year doing comfortable 10k and injury free is the current target.

Cracking 10k in the pissing down rain at 6am today. Fastest one of the year and the first time I've managed two in a week since my foot went mental in April. Think my toe is about to drop off now but I enjoyed it.:lol:
Was tempted to sign up for the Sunderland Half yesterday but don't want to tempt fate. It's definitely the target but it won't sell out so I'll wait until a bit closer to the time before signing up. Into the New Year doing comfortable 10k and injury free is the current target.
I don't understand why people sign up so early to races when it won't sell out. Baffling.

I don't understand why people sign up so early to races when it won't sell out. Baffling.
In the past it's to give me motivation to train. If I've signed up for something, I know I will do the training to be ready for it but if I had nothing to aim for, I might slacken off.
I assume you would run regardless, not everyone is like that.

I do. I sign up on the day they open for entries whether they sell out or not. It's just 1 less thing to have to think about + some do early bird discounts & 2 0r 3 of those in a year could add up to being able to do an extra race for the same budget.

Distinct lack of motivation at the minute because of this weather. Went for a run yesterday and I was shite, was planning on running 6.5K in around 30 mins, the pace is normally comfortable however I was struggling by 5K. Not sure what was up there.

Few hours later my big toe balloons up underneath my nail, extremely painful to touch and put any pressure on it. Roll forward 18 hours and it's almost back to normal...

Back