Running Thread 2018

Looking for assistance. Been marathon training for a number of weeks. At 18 mile distance for a month ( nothing too quick, approx 3 hrs for the 18 miles currently ) but top of feet now in real pain. It's long bones to big toes. Thought it was shoes but changed them and made it worse. Any tips/advice to get back to running.
Are your laces too tight?

Looking for assistance. Been marathon training for a number of weeks. At 18 mile distance for a month ( nothing too quick, approx 3 hrs for the 18 miles currently ) but top of feet now in real pain. It's long bones to big toes. Thought it was shoes but changed them and made it worse. Any tips/advice to get back to running.
You may have wide fitting feet and wearing a narrow trainer like Adidas ? Did you get fitted ?

Possibly tendonitis from too much too soon but could be as simple as how you have your running shoes laced up.

Logon or register to see this image

Remember your feet swell as you run so take that into account as well when you're tightening/tying your laces.

Who's achieved their targets this year then?

My year started well with a 72min half in York in January. . .but that was it really, got close to 10k/5k PBs in the spring. I was injured by the end of July and I'm just about getting my zip back now. Hoping to end the year nicely at Saltwell 10k next week.

Targets for 2019 will be 10k/5k PBs

My year started well with a 72min half in York in January. . .but that was it really, got close to 10k/5k PBs in the spring. I was injured by the end of July and I'm just about getting my zip back now. Hoping to end the year nicely at Saltwell 10k next week.

Failed once again. Aim was to do the Sunderland Half and hopefully get a PB and do 600 miles which should have been achievable.
Everything going well until April when gout reared its ugly head and everything went to shit. Whole host of other issues cropped up in the testing for gout and had best part of six months out.
I'm back running again but can only manage a maximum of two or three runs a week so I'll have to manage it carefully. I'm comfortably doing 10k runs now so I'll slowly ramp it up in the New Year and make the Sunderland Half my target again.
Got appointment to get insoles fitted in January so might alleviate some of my issues.
Shows what a cripple I've been over the years that one more run will see me beat my miles total for every year except 2014 and 2017.:lol:

Failed once again. Aim was to do the Sunderland Half and hopefully get a PB and do 600 miles which should have been achievable.
Everything going well until April when gout reared its ugly head and everything went to shit. Whole host of other issues cropped up in the testing for gout and had best part of six months out.
I'm back running again but can only manage a maximum of two or three runs a week so I'll have to manage it carefully. I'm comfortably doing 10k runs now so I'll slowly ramp it up in the New Year and make the Sunderland Half my target again.
Got appointment to get insoles fitted in January so might alleviate some of my issues.
Shows what a cripple I've been over the years that one more run will see me beat my miles total for every year except 2014 and 2017.:lol:
Your ‘niggles’ trump mine!

Best of luck for next year

Did the races I wanted to for the year but didnt hit the 2,000 miles I had hoped back in Jan been lazy and unmotivated too many weeks and the race times suffered. Will try and hit that as target next year along with two marathins and possible ultra.

Started the year injured & was just hoping to chip away at my marathon pb but as it turns out I've had the most injury free year in a couple of decades & beaten every one of my pbs for 5k & over. Last race of the year yesterday at Loftus & knocked 7 mins off my previous course best which I'm over the moon with considering I've traditionally been shite at anything involving mud or running downhill at any more than a plod. Just another 3 parkruns to finish the year off now.

Fastest 10k of the year this morning and at the pace I want to do the Half Marathon in so quite pleased with that.
Start building up gradually in the New Year whilst trying to keep the same pace and should be okay by May.
Probably tempting fate given my injury record but signed up for the Sunderland Half this morning. (Xmas present from my brother).

Possibly tendonitis from too much too soon but could be as simple as how you have your running shoes laced up.

Logon or register to see this image

Remember your feet swell as you run so take that into account as well when you're tightening/tying your laces.
had a rest but will take this into account for run either tomorrow or between Christmas nd new year. Thanks

You may have wide fitting feet and wearing a narrow trainer like Adidas ? Did you get fitted ?
Didn't. I have wide stumpy feet like so may get advice for next pair of trainers.. thanks

Are your laces too tight?
Tried with lose laces but now have advice so hopefully will be better next time. I am getting fatter so this won't help either :(

Last edited:
Sebastian Coe said:
"In the winter of 1979, during the lead-up to the Olympic Games in Moscow, I remember training on Christmas Day.

It was a harsh winter (harsh enough to bring down a government) but I ran 12 miles on Christmas morning. It was a hard session and I got home, showered and felt pretty happy with what I had done.

Later that afternoon, sitting back after Christmas lunch, I began to feel uneasy but was not quite sure why. Suddenly it dawned on me. I thought: “I bet Steve Ovett’s out there doing his second training session of the day.” I put the kit back on, faced the snow and ice and did a second training session. I ran several miles, including some hill work.

Not long ago, over supper in Melbourne, I told him the story. He laughed. ‘Did you only go out twice that day?’ he asked."

Just the local parkrun for me.

1 HR 45 for the Sunderland HM, which I was over the moon with. Onwards and upwards for 2019

My target was a Parkrun in 2018 and I managed 3, so we’ll chuffed. Couldn’t run 5 minutes earlier in the year.

2019 is to chip away at the 5k time. Current PB is 34.48 so not sure what a realistic time to shave off is.

My target was a Parkrun in 2018 and I managed 3, so we’ll chuffed. Couldn’t run 5 minutes earlier in the year.

2019 is to chip away at the 5k time. Current PB is 34.48 so not sure what a realistic time to shave off is.
I think aiming for 30 mins is more than achievable to begin with. You might surprise yourself and shave another couple off that but just aim to improve month on month.
I guarantee that you will get one absolute flyer and you'll not know where it has come from. My PB came on a day when it was absolutely lashing down and hardly anyone turned up. I was determined not to finish last so pushed myself as hard as I could. Shaved a couple minutes off my PB and don't think I've got close since.:lol:

After a couple of days stuffing my face I decided to treat myself to an 'easy' 10k along the seafront this morning. With about two miles to go, not only did my achilles tighten up but I was busting for a shit.:eek:
It was early so I don't think the public toilets would be open so I must have looked a picture hobbling along holding a turd back as I raced to the car. Never been so relieved to get home.

Back