Running Thread 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Third 5k of my comeback yesterday and apart from a twinge on the very last step that made me swear out loud, there doesn't appear to be any major side effects.
Not going to push it and going to stick to short runs for a few weeks to see how I cope and then start building the miles up.

Managed to run 10 miles yesterday morning. First time I've got to double figures. 1 hour 27 mins. Quite enjoying these long, slower runs. I'll stick to these at the weekend with a quicker 5miles in the week, with the odd 'race' (maybe 10k) every now and again to test if this routine is working - see if I can beat my 10k PB which is around 48 mins.

Anyone got any experience of pain in the lower hamstring/back of knee? Was out the other week and had a pain in the hamstring, a bit like electric going through it, next run my leg felt numb and was limping for a couple of days after. Rested it for a week but went out this morning to test it and it was exactly the same straight away. Doesn’t feel like a tear, it didn’t have a visible bruise but very sore to touch

A few weeks into couch to 10k. Join ship soon though for 6 weeks and we don't have a treadmill onboard but there is a spinning bike and a concept 2 rower. Just wondering what would be best to continue on with my training? Guessing the bike? Cheers!

A few weeks into couch to 10k. Join ship soon though for 6 weeks and we don't have a treadmill onboard but there is a spinning bike and a concept 2 rower. Just wondering what would be best to continue on with my training? Guessing the bike? Cheers!
Running on the spot

:lol::lol:

I would do both so you don't get bored. You could do intervals on the bike to mix things up.
Aye I was literally gan do the couch to 10k thing on a machine, so like hammer it on the bike for 3 mins, slow for 90 secs. So wanted to know what exercise was the most similar to running. I've done insanity/T25 when I've been away before but never tried to run obviously!

Aye I was literally gan do the couch to 10k thing on a machine, so like hammer it on the bike for 3 mins, slow for 90 secs. So wanted to know what exercise was the most similar to running. I've done insanity/T25 when I've been away before but never tried to run obviously!
Both will keep your cardio up.

Good read, good points about the anxiety and obsessiveness of running. Not sure about the crying bit like. Must admit Gout must be a right pain, literally as no known method of keeping it at bay when it appears.

Good read, good points about the anxiety and obsessiveness of running. Not sure about the crying bit like. Must admit Gout must be a right pain, literally as no known method of keeping it at bay when it appears.
I've been sick of my life but never cried.:lol:
I'm on medication for the gout and it dehydrates you so I have to drink gallons of water which then makes me piss loads so not sure how that's going to translate to me doing longer runs.
Bit of a vicious circle with the gout aggravating osteoarthritis and the osteoarthritis aggravating the gout.:evil: Suspect that it's been around longer than I realised as my left foot always swelled up after a run and all my knee problems were on my left side so I wonder whether I was over compensating.
Hopefully find out more next week and more blood tests in a few weeks to see if the medication is working or if it has to be upped again. Determined to do the Sunderland Half next year even if I have to hop round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back