Rumour time.........already

According to the minutes of the Discipline Sub committee,available on the NEPL website, there is another investigation underway .I understand that 2 more clubs involved but don't know which ones.

"Gordon Halliday then apprised the Sub-Committee of another investigation that is being carried out at the request of the Registration Sub-Committee. The Discipline Chairman will be forming a Sub-Committee to deal with this matter in the New Year."

Oswell s cheque book out in force at burnopfield.
Burnopfield are clearly a club going places.

Marty is a Burnopfield lad and I know how committed he is to that club. They have a great setup there and I'd be amazed if they dont top their division this year and get promoted into the big time. Marty's two sons are really good players. One of them is a cracking bowler who played for Durham 2nds last year.

Burnopfield are clearly a club going places.

Marty is a Burnopfield lad and I know how committed he is to that club. They have a great setup there and I'd be amazed if they dont top their division this year and get promoted into the big time. Marty's two sons are really good players. One of them is a cracking bowler who played for Durham 2nds last year.
They have a lot of in-fighting and Marty isnt even on the committee any longer (i think)! I heard he had irked too many with his empire building, and some of those are the Burnopfield stalwarts who are also no longer involved too.

According to the minutes of the Discipline Sub committee,available on the NEPL website, there is another investigation underway .I understand that 2 more clubs involved but don't know which ones.

"Gordon Halliday then apprised the Sub-Committee of another investigation that is being carried out at the request of the Registration Sub-Committee. The Discipline Chairman will be forming a Sub-Committee to deal with this matter in the New Year."
I understand that the 2 clubs involved are Blaydon and Mainsforth.

I must have missed the bit in the NEPL's summing up that said Washington were 'trying to pass off Malinga Surappulige as an amateur.' Do you have a link for that?

He was not signed on a ‘Tier 5’ visa, this is the only visa you can sign an overseas player who has played first class cricket on.

As he was not signed using this visa to all intents and purposes he must have therefore signed as an ‘overseas amateur’. Whether Washington regarded him as an amateur or a ‘pro’ is irrelevant as in the eyes of the NEPL he was signed as an amateur.

So Giraffa is quite correct in his statement. Obviously this may have purely been an oversight by Washington, however, knowing a few lads there I really don’t think they’d have been that naive so I can only come to the conclusion they were trying to pull a fast one...

He was not signed on a ‘Tier 5’ visa, this is the only visa you can sign an overseas player who has played first class cricket on.

As he was not signed using this visa to all intents and purposes he must have therefore signed as an ‘overseas amateur’. Whether Washington regarded him as an amateur or a ‘pro’ is irrelevant as in the eyes of the NEPL he was signed as an amateur.

So Giraffa is quite correct in his statement. Obviously this may have purely been an oversight by Washington, however, knowing a few lads there I really don’t think they’d have been that naive so I can only come to the conclusion they were trying to pull a fast one...

I’d disagree with this. He was signed as an amateur yes but h as living in this country as a student on a tier 4 visa. A tier 4 student visa doesn’t stop a student playing in the UK.

Where the problem lies is the fact he has played FC years ago, but in Washington’s defence (and all the other clubs he has played for under a Tier 4 as a student over past couple of years both in North East and elsewhere), as he was classed as an international student and primarily lived in UK then they may of thought there wasn’t an issue with being a former FC cricketer.

We had a similar issue at LCC with a lad who is still a student, lives in UK and works in UK (bar the 8 Weeks he flies home over course of year) who is also on Tier 4. However because he played for Singapore in ICC Competition in the past, we have subsequently been told he can no longer play club cricket in UK. He can only play for his place of study.

What makes it even more farcical is when he graduates it’s likely he’ll be offered a permanent contract at a huge international organisation in London who will ensure he gets a work visa (Tier 5). But with these rules he will never be able to play cricket in UK again (even as a permanent resident, paying taxes, on right visa etc) because he played for Singapore a few years back. Not even FC by the way! He will literally only be able to play for the works team!

I’d disagree with this. He was signed as an amateur yes but h as living in this country as a student on a tier 4 visa. A tier 4 student visa doesn’t stop a student playing in the UK.

Where the problem lies is the fact he has played FC years ago, but in Washington’s defence (and all the other clubs he has played for under a Tier 4 as a student over past couple of years both in North East and elsewhere), as he was classed as an international student and primarily lived in UK then they may of thought there wasn’t an issue with being a former FC cricketer.

We had a similar issue at LCC with a lad who is still a student, lives in UK and works in UK (bar the 8 Weeks he flies home over course of year) who is also on Tier 4. However because he played for Singapore in ICC Competition in the past, we have subsequently been told he can no longer play club cricket in UK. He can only play for his place of study.

What makes it even more farcical is when he graduates it’s likely he’ll be offered a permanent contract at a huge international organisation in London who will ensure he gets a work visa (Tier 5). But with these rules he will never be able to play cricket in UK again (even as a permanent resident, paying taxes, on right visa etc) because he played for Singapore a few years back. Not even FC by the way! He will literally only be able to play for the works team!

Appreciate where you’re coming from Gregg, but with all due respect comparing methods to a few year back is a poor indicator.

You more than anyone know how the visa rules have tightened. Lads who could come over on visitor visas now have no chance! Remember the Sri Lankan lad from Castle Eden who chucked it, he would never get in on his student visa now!

Personally I would only bring a pro over on a Tier 5 as it’s just not worth the risk.

Spot on - it's crazy that lads who can work or study legitimately here cannot play cricket over here when their first class days are well behind them. Your case of the lad playing for Singapore is a prime example of the stupidity of the rule. Other countries are cracking down too - shame that decent young lads from here are struggling to get visas to play in e.g. Australia for a winter to get some experience.

Symptomatic of the current hysteric obsession with immigration, I'm afraid. Clubs should be allowed to bring 2 overseas players in and pay whatever they want. It's the best way for top local lads to test themselves and see if they maybe could be good enough to play professionally.

Alasdair Appleby Newcastle to Barnard Caste
Canny hike for him unless he's from there.

Anyone got any idea how the NEPL will shape up next year. CLS CC had an iffy season last year. Can they mount a challenge this year to South North?

Burnopfield to walk the other division? How will Sacriston shape up in the higher division?

Also Dan Stephenson from Sacriston to Eppleton?

Anyone got any idea how the NEPL will shape up next year. CLS CC had an iffy season last year. Can they mount a challenge this year to South North?

Burnopfield to walk the other division? How will Sacriston shape up in the higher division?

Can't see that, there's too many teams who can all beat each other.

I think Sacriston will do just fine, probably surprise a few of the big boys too.

As for Burnopfield, have they brought anyone in? From their side last season they could well mount a challenge, but I'm not sure they'll have enough to win it - mind, anyone of about five teams IMO could gain promotion. It's a very good, competitive league though. Which is a great thing for local cricket.

It's hard to judge without knowing which players teams have signed and lost but from what is known, Brandon will be massive favourites to win NEPL1. If it's true they have Humble, Muchall and Turner on top of the likes of good club players like Nicholson and Peareth, they'll win it at a canter in my opinion.

It's difficult to judge Sacriston. They'll not be near relegation in my opinion but I also think mid-table is the highest they will finish. Again, they may have went out and signed a few, but I guess they'll try and keep their young, homegrown team together if possible.

As for CLS challenging, I don't think they will this year. They seem to have went for youth and perhaps could be a little inexperienced to win the league this year. They've signed McCann (D.City), McGrath (Tudhoe) and Burgess (Burnmoor) according to rumour.

NEPL Winners - South North
NEPL Relegated - Felling

NEPL1 Winners - Brandon
NEPL1 Relegated - Seaham Harbour

Back