Rumour time.........already

Status
Not open for further replies.

Points deductions for next year apparently. 120 for Newcastle, 60 for Chester and Stockton and 30 for Washington I believe (or along those lines). Someone more ITK may be able to confirm or correct.

Apparently for this year just been and Newcastle striped of banks. #justiceforburnopfield

Think shields deducted same and so still relegated - someone who has seen the statement may be able to clarify more?

Will it mean the winner of the Salver will just be left blank?

I don't think if it was me I'd want to get the trophy after having lost the final - even if they were cheated. Would feel hollow.

Will it mean the winner of the Salver will just be left blank?

I don't think if it was me I'd want to get the trophy after having lost the final - even if they were cheated. Would feel hollow.

Agree - though have seen a couple of tweets congratulating benwell hill which would suggest that they have been given it. Not sure what the prize money is but not sure it is too significant to celebrate having won in extenuating circumstances...

Thanks, Big Bird.

Haven't read it all - can you summarise?
Washy 30 points deduction for having limited overseas experience and the player having been approved by the league.

Stockton 60 points for having significant experience with overseas but accepting full culpability and saying they did not knowingly try to gain advantage

Chester 90 for the position the club chairman holds with the league

Newcastle 120 for apparently knowing the player having been declined registration with the Birmingham & District league and challenging the ruling on the players visa

Here's the recommendations as well

(1) All four clubs to receive a letter of reprimand from the League, which will include as a statement: “Any transgression of a similar magnitude in the future will result in the LMC giving serious consideration to the Club’s expulsion from
the NEPL”.
(2) All four clubs to be barred from registering any Category 3 Overseas Player for the 2018 and 2019 seasons.
(3) Newcastle Cricket Club to have its tenure of the 2017 Banks Salver withdrawn and to refund the £300 prize money. The runners-up, Benwell Hill Cricket Club, to be awarded the Salver and the £300.
(4) The following points to be deducted from the total achieved by the Club’s First XI during the 2017 season:
- Washington 30 points
- Stockton 60 points
- Chester-le-Street 90 points
- Newcastle 120 points.
(5) The LMC is recommended that it takes all the necessary steps it can to ensure sufficiently robust registration procedures are introduced prior to the start of the 2018 season in an effort to minimise the risk of a similar situation occurring at a future date.
(6) The LMC is recommended to consider an additional rule is adopted by the League prior to the start of the 2018 season along the following lines, “In the event of a Club fielding an ineligible player in a match then all of the points gained by that team from that match will be forfeited. In instances where the player in question plays in more than one match then all of the points gained by the team in all of those matches will be forfeited”.

Last edited:
Thanks big bird.

Saw a tweet the other day from on of the Felling lads saying that it was a good Christmas as they had moved up the league and ended the season as a mid-table side :lol:

Retrospective points deductions are hardly a punishment but 2 seasons without an overseas is an effective deterrent. To be fair the problem arose partly because FTECB aren't clear on rules of eligibility -now there's a surprise.

Retrospective points deductions are hardly a punishment but 2 seasons without an overseas is an effective deterrent. To be fair the problem arose partly because FTECB aren't clear on rules of eligibility -now there's a surprise.
There clearly must be some sort of further clarity needed then? I'm absolutely gobsmacked at CLS CC not knowing the rules considering the chairman of that club is the chairman of the league.

There clearly must be some sort of further clarity needed then? I'm absolutely gobsmacked at CLS CC not knowing the rules considering the chairman of that club is the chairman of the league.
That was mentioned in the report basically saying that CLS were well aware of the rules given their chairmans position. Surely a review of the league exec should take place as a consequence

Newcastle don't have a leg to stand on IMO. They knew their lad had been turned away from the Birmingham league already, yet still went ahead and signed him. Surely Chester are also better placed than anyone to know the rules too with Robson in charge. If they were more unfashionable clubs they would have had the book thrown at them.

Newcastle don't have a leg to stand on IMO. They knew their lad had been turned away from the Birmingham league already, yet still went ahead and signed him. Surely Chester are also better placed than anyone to know the rules too with Robson in charge. If they were more unfashionable clubs they would have had the book thrown at them.
Although Newcastle have done relatively well recently their finances et al were in a shocking state not so long ago and I'm not sure that they have much of a junior section to shout about.

Chester le Street seem to be at a bit of a cross roads but always had a good eye for talent. They have some good junior cricketers coming through who are starting to make an impact at senior level which bodes well for them.

I've heard that South North arent particularly well placed financially presently and was told a story about them by an NEPL club chairman that raised eyebrows and I wont repeat on here. Could of course be wrong, but I'll be interested too see what team they turn out next year and how many high earners are shed. Melvyn Betts of course left as head coach and the position went part time I was told.

Melvyn is now first team cricket coach at Burnopfield although will still play for Sacriston I was told.

Last edited:
Although Newcastle have done relatively well recently their finances et al were in a shocking state not so long ago and I'm not sure that they have much of a junior section to shout about.

Chester le Street seem to be at a bit of a cross roads but always had a good eye for talent. They have some good junior cricketers coming through who are starting to make an impact at senior level which bodes well for them.

I've heard that South North arent particularly well placed financially presently and was told a story about them by an NEPL club chairman that raised eyebrows and I wont repeat on here. Could of course be wrong, but I'll be interested too see what team they turn out next year and how many high earners are shed. Melvyn Betts of course left as head coach and the position went part time I was told.

Melvyn is now first team cricket coach at Burnopfield although will still play for Sacriston I was told.
Oswell s cheque book out in force at burnopfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back