Ricky Gervais joke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think he is funny. Understandable the folks got upset but I don't think he should apologise. It's not actually joking about dead babies.

I love the office and his podcasts, but his stand up lacks intelligence and wit.

He thinks just saying something offensive is funny, its not, and not because it offends people (doesn't offend me at all), its just simplistic shock humour.

Its one step away from Mike Reid.

I remember when I seen him at the empire and he was going on about raising money for hospitals so technically the cancer machines were his. He said he should walk into the hospital and say "get that baldy fucker off that machine, it's mine and I want to use it " or words to that effect. There was a few boos at that point like.
It's on his dvd, it's Ricky all over ,he points at himself and all of us in equal measure .That was about people with money's motivation for good deeds .I remember when my son was tiny living through the whole "fragile" thing .To me he's merely speaking out loud what goes through people's minds

Love Gervais but I think this joke is unnecessary, no need at all to go there.
You'd be right to argue leaving it out but it's his call ,like the song you don't like from a great band

Last edited:
The best thing about Gervais is/was Karl. Ricky just seems a bit of a self important arsehole - has twitter to basically wind up people who believe in God and act like a condescending bell whiff

As I think he might have said, every joke told might wrankle with someone in the audience, but they laugh at the other 99%. You know it's a joke for the other stuff, so why not just accept the 1% 'thing' is a joke too.

It's interesting to wonder like, is anything off limits or should anything go?

I'm not in favour of censorship but certain things are distasteful to me. As soon as some celeb dies all the 'comedians' on here are tripping over themselves trying to say something hilarious about George Michael or whoever. I wonder if these same people participate in death lists? I wonder if they'll be trying out 'hilarious' jokes when time runs out for Bradley? I just don't find much to laugh about regarding death.

Maybe people should police themselves. I think Chris Rock is one of the funniest of all but I cringe every time he says 'nigger' - same for Dave Chappelle, DL Hughley et al. Paradoxically Chris Rock used to have a hilarious bit - 'I LOVE my Black people, but the niggers got to GO! I know exactly what he's on about and thought he was spot on with the underlying point but he cut it out of his show as being too offensive.

But dead baby jokes can be funny. You can make jokes the holocaust, genocide, rape, murder etc. which are funny.

Why should he apologise?
Not for the joke but to the couple. If nothing is off limits then people shouldn't complain about Jin Davidson.

Really enjoyed Animals, Politics and Fame but thought Science was absolutely shite. He also ended with a joke nicked off Roy Chubby Brown.

I'll give Humanity a go when it's available on DVD/Kodi, hopefully it's an improvement on his last.

Got to say I don't mind Gervais, talented bloke who can be funny. Does well with highlighting certain charities, unfortunately it's in a way that a lot of people won't get.

As for this joke, sincere condolences to anyone who has lost a child but why hasn't the article printed the joke so we can see context plus what kind of people go to the press being offended?

This is the problem for me, some people will find the joke in bad taste, some will see it for what it is, but the people who go to the press to complain about their outrage are attention seeking bells and prior to their absolute personal tragedy are probably the type of people who would complain about the slightest thing, societies pain in the arse. But because they have gone through what they've gone through they are above any criticism.

Whilst still utterly outraged and incredibly offended by this joke haven't heard, my fury and indignation is now doubled having realised the OP reads 'lad bible'

Reminds me of the carry on with Billy Connolly a few years back. Taken out of context. Although why on earth you'd go and see such an unfunny gonk as Gervais in the first place, you probably deserve to be upset tbh.

I know some people who didn't "get" his routine on cancer from 10+ year back, I can't remember exactly what it was but they took it hugely out of context. And that's completely ignoring him actively backing cancer charities at the time.
I remember when I seen him at the empire and he was going on about raising money for hospitals so technically the cancer machines were his. He said he should walk into the hospital and say "get that baldy fucker off that machine, it's mine and I want to use it " or words to that effect. There was a few boos at that point like.
It's on his dvd, it's Ricky all over ,he points at himself and all of us in equal measure .That was about people with money's motivation for good deeds .I remember when my son was tiny living through the whole "fragile" thing .To me he's merely speaking out loud what goes through people's minds

Aye, that's the show I saw, although at Newcastle city hall.

At no point were cancer patients the butt of the joke, despite the "baldy f'er" reference. Yet some people were spitting feathers. Some walked out, many booed, some muttering to themselves about 'you can't joke about that'. Totally missing the point.

The structure of the joke wasn't even remotely complex but seemingly people just looked to those key words. Mind you, even though it must have been c2006, the amount of people pratting about on their phones I'm surprised they got any of the jokes at all.

I thought the show was brilliant, I really enjoy his stand up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back