Ricky Gervais joke

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Ricky Gervais, had me cracking up on his podcasts, but I guess you had to be there with that one. :neutral: I don't really find it in bad taste though.

Personally I think if jokes can be made about 9/11, paedophilia and down's syndrome then I'd say anything goes. Whether they're funny or not is another thing.

Last edited:

No idea if its accurate but this was one of the comments on the article:

"Ricky is talking about why he and his girlfriend never wnated to have a baby, part of it has to do with how fragile babies are. Ricky pretends he is holding his non-existing-never-born-pretend-child, dearly while he lolabies it to sleep and, to show how fragil babies are, when he puts the baby to the crib he goes "Look... He's dead. I just layed him on the crib and he's dead.". Then he talks about how he should go about telling it to his girlfriend.

The joke is not about a dead baby, the joke his about how fragil babies are and how inapt Ricky and his girlfriend feel to take on that kind of responsibility, in order to illustrat that, Ricky pretends his NEVER-BORN-baby dies."

:evil:

He isn't funny at all. The podcasts were funny because of Karl pilkington. Gervais has never been funny. The office was shite as well

I disagree. His stand ups are decent, the Office was great (although the film wasn't) Extras was good, and all three of them made the podcasts hilarious. Karl admittedly was the star though.

I'm not sure it's his finest work but I don't think, contextually, that it's massively offensive (if at all offensive).
I'd agree with this.

I know some people who didn't "get" his routine on cancer from 10+ year back, I can't remember exactly what it was but they took it hugely out of context. And that's completely ignoring him actively backing cancer charities at the time.

I've found the same type of people sometimes get outraged and confused by satire yet lap up things like Mrs Brown's Boys.

That said, it's obvious the subject matter is raw to some and people have a right to be upset about anything, and a right to be vocal about it if they choose.

I remember when I seen him at the empire and he was going on about raising money for hospitals so technically the cancer machines were his. He said he should walk into the hospital and say "get that baldy fucker off that machine, it's mine and I want to use it " or words to that effect. There was a few boos at that point like.

I saw the show in York a few weeks ago.
In the context of the routine the segment was very funny, in fact it got some of the biggest laughs in the whole show.
Yes, if you've lost a child the subject matter will be distressing, but in the context it was delivered I had no problem with it.

I'm not easily offended and I'm quite harsh but I think there's a line and some things shouldn't be joked about.

I don't even think the joke is anywhere near funny, more and more comedians are just trying to be more controversial and see who can go far the furthest rather than concentrating on writing something actually funny, it's just like let's see who can be the most controversial nowadays, or that's how I see it anyway.

The fat f***ing unfunny prick

Can't believe people are offended by stuff like this. Surely it's not hard to separate your own real life feelings with a daft pisstake story clearly not targeted towards you and your loved ones? Literally no joke based around death or suffering should be allowed ever again if this is the case.

Not the best subject to crack a joke about and I have some sympathy with the young couple but for their first night out they go to see Ricky Gervais? A movie or a meal yes, but if they were feeling sensitive why go to see that shite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back