Ricky Gervais joke

Status
Not open for further replies.

At no point were cancer patients the butt of the joke, despite the "baldy f'er" reference. Yet some people were spitting feathers. Some walked out, many booed, some muttering to themselves about 'you can't joke about that'. Totally missing the point.
Seriously, what was the point?

Someone somewhere will be upset by something.

Everyone has had heartache in their life. Some worse that others but it's called life. They said he should consider his audience? If all comics did that they wouldn't be able to tell a single joke because of point one.

It's interesting to wonder like, is anything off limits or should anything go?

I'm not in favour of censorship but certain things are distasteful to me. As soon as some celeb dies all the 'comedians' on here are tripping over themselves trying to say something hilarious about George Michael or whoever. I wonder if these same people participate in death lists? I wonder if they'll be trying out 'hilarious' jokes when time runs out for Bradley? I just don't find much to laugh about regarding death.

Maybe people should police themselves. I think Chris Rock is one of the funniest of all but I cringe every time he says 'nigger' - same for Dave Chappelle, DL Hughley et al. Paradoxically Chris Rock used to have a hilarious bit - 'I LOVE my Black people, but the niggers got to GO! I know exactly what he's on about and thought he was spot on with the underlying point but he cut it out of his show as being too offensive.
There are no limits IMHO. Everything is there to be discussed. It's either funny or isn't. Including race dead babies spastics muslims etc.

Seriously, what was the point?
I can't remember the full joke, but as the other post I quoted -

"That was about people with money's motivation for good deeds"

He was basically ripping it out of greed and the 'look at me' types.

He's basically playing the part of a narcissistic arsehole. The fact that because he is a generous superstar he believes that he is better than the normal poorly people who are using the machine he has paid for. Clearly not his own real life views. It's not that complicated and quite funny imo.
This, or thereabouts. As I say I can barely remember it as it was 10 years ago and I was howling.

He's basically playing the part of a narcissistic arsehole. The fact that because he is a generous superstar he believes that he is better than the normal poorly people who are using the machine he has paid for. Clearly not his own real life views. It's not that complicated and quite funny imo.

I think it was, he was doing stand up and wasn't playing David Brent on a TV show. I'd like to think they aren't his real life views and I quite like him when he talks on other subjects, particularly religion, but he didn't deliver that very well IMO. Maybe he should have known his audience were not likely to pick up on the point he was trying to make.

I think it was, he was doing stand up and wasn't playing David Brent on a TV show. I'd like to think they aren't his real life views and I quite like him when he talks on other subjects, particularly religion, but he didn't deliver that very well IMO. Maybe he should have known his audience were not likely to pick up on the point he was trying to make.
That's down to them imo. If they think they are his real views and not a character he is playing then they shouldn't be at his gigs in the first place. He slips between himself and the arsey character he mimics throughout. He doesn't even disguise it tbf.

He pretends to hear and responds to compliments from the audience as he walks on stage in a kings robe and crown at one of his gigs. Did you think that was real and genuine?

Last edited:
That's down to them imo. If they think they are his real views and not a character he is playing then they shouldn't be at his gigs in the first place. He slips between himself and the arsey character he mimics throughout. He doesn't even disguise it tbf.

He even pretends to hear and respond to compliments from the audience as he walks on stage in a kings robe and crown at one of his gigs. Did you think that was real and genuine?

Okay, maybe I should have clarified - I don't think they were his real views, I just don't think he delivered it very well or even if he should have been using that material.

Okay, maybe I should have clarified - I don't think they were his real views, I just don't think he delivered it very well or even if he should have been using that material.
The majority of posters who have discussed the cancer routine on this thread thought it was funny and saw it for what it was. You can't please everyone.

If he changed his act to suit everyone, he wouldn't be the same act.

Trying to make clever funnies to an audience made up largely of mags. He was on a hiding to nothing from the start.

Last edited by a moderator:
@rickygervais
Warning: My stand up mentions AIDS, cancer, Paedophilia, famine, race, terrorism, rape, murder, drugs, death and even food allergies.

It doesn't say if it includes any comedy.

jimmy carr said something similar on desert island discs, but then corrected himself suggesting hillsborough was off limits for the mainstream.

For a mainstream comedian who makes a living telling jokes some topics would be commercial suicide. That is a different issue.

He pretends to hear and responds to compliments from the audience as he walks on stage in a kings robe and crown at one of his gigs. Did you think that was real and genuine?
I think that's because a lot of those 'arsey characters' are actually him. I've never been overly struck on him because of it to be honest.

He's basically playing the part of a narcissistic The fact that because he is a generous superstar he believes that he is better than the normal poorly people who are using the machine he has paid for. Clearly not his own real life views. It's not that complicated and quite funny imo.

It's an act

It's like seeing whoever plays Phil Mitchell and giving them grief for something he's done on Eastenders

Either you joke about everything or nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back