Returning to the north east after 44 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Well I have been living back up here for 16 months now. So glad I moved "home". Everything has gone well - apart from my dear mother passing on.

One particular highlight is Seaham. Really love the place;

- walk along the cliff to Hawthorn Dene
- Downeys fish and chip shop
- Tommy
- watching boats go in and out of the harbour
- etc.

Have worked out a route to cycle there from my house. Will try it soon.
Good for you. Glad it worked out
I’ve been away from the NE for years and would never move back either.
Been away over 20 years now and not sure what I think. Suspect it depends on your finances and stage in life. Some days I think I’d be able to move back because it would be nicer to be closer to family but equally I think in lots of other ways I’d struggle massively mentally. Been away for so long and It’s a totally different way of life to London and surrounds. Both places have their pros and cons, however with the impending Mag Empire starting up again, probably best to stay clear as they’ll be as unbearable as they were in the 90s 😃
Also so many southerners won't consider Northumberland as a holiday destination because they (genuinely) think it has an Arctic climate.

Good!! And Robson Green can get fecked too advertising how lovely it is. Shhhh man!!
It’s also a pain in the backside to get to relative to easier to reach places in Europe . Same as lots of nice places in the uK

Last edited by a moderator:
Nobody tells anyone about Northumberland - it is our secret. Robson Green needs to be taken from here and made to watch Tranmere.

Weather is just too shit. Its shit in London too. Everyone remembers the sunny days from when they were kids but kijing though the cheviots in a hoolie is f***ing grim

Weather is just too shit. Its shit in London too. Everyone remembers the sunny days from when they were kids but kijing though the cheviots in a hoolie is f***ing grim
I don't like the sun, never have done so it doesn't bother me in the slightest. It is a pain like as I work abroad half the year in usually stinking hot places.

You can't improve perfection m'lord .
Last I was there I was passing through on my way to Mam's funeral and I thought that I would give Marley Pots a look for old time's sake. It was a quiet Sunday afternoon and interestingly they seemed to have cop cars running around the estate instead of the ice cream vans that I had been familiar with. I parked up beside our old home but before very long I decided it was best to drive on in case someone thought that a competing drug lord had just turned up. :D

I did notice that they still had the privet hedge around our house and that the garden was nice although mam's favorite laburnum tree had gone . Mr grandad and nan are still in Southwick Cemetery so I still have family connections there.

Lived all over the world,some shit-holes,some really nice places,currently in surrey but I really love sunderland,just something about the city that's unique.

I don't have any issue with the weather in the northeast, mind. When I lived in Montréal the weather really dictated what I could and couldn't do: in summer it was 38°C and humid so I could barely go outside! En winter it was in the -30s but I coped much better. Nowt too unmanageable in Durham!
I have been in Quebec in -40 with windchill,i couldn't cope,love the summers though.

Dinnit want to pish on ya chips, but I left in 79 and returned in 2009. I only lasted 5 months. I still loved it, our lass not at all, although she's also from Horden. We couldn't persuade our grown kids to follow us and too much family angst.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back