Returning to the north east after 44 years

I was happiest of all in Sandwich, Kent. Loved there for 6 years hence the username. I've been living in Cambs, near Ely, for the past 15 years and I've never considered it as home.

If circumstances allowed I'd move to Northumberland in a heartbeat for the rest of my days.
When I moved back to the NE I would work down there a bit, lovely part of England. Mind some of the surrounding towns were a bit rough

I was happiest of all in Sandwich, Kent. Loved there for 6 years hence the username. I've been living in Cambs, near Ely, for the past 15 years and I've never considered it as home.

If circumstances allowed I'd move to Northumberland in a heartbeat for the rest of my days.

Was down Littleport at the weekend

That could be said about anywhere in the world.
I love the place. It has everything I want from life. Big enough city in Newcastle. ( I know) fantastic countryside. Plenty of bars and pubs. More than enough culture for me. A group of friends that I wouldn't swap for anything. No idea why people have such a downer on the place. I certainly wouldnt swap it for anywhere south of sheffield.
Glad I live in North Sheffield.

There's a lot of gentrification going on in the NE. A lot of the former colliery villages are gradually turning into just rural villages with good links to big towns/cities and plenty of scope for building. No public transport but no traffic to speak of either. And all dirt cheap for people selling houses in the southeast.

Seaham, mentioned above, is a good example - it’s a hidden gem now really, it would cost an arm and a leg to live somewhere like that in the south. A traffic-free little town by the sea with all amenities, countryside round about and a city centre only 15 minutes drive from there. Yet someone on here called it a shithole.

There's a lot of gentrification going on in the NE. A lot of the former colliery villages are gradually turning into just rural villages with good links to big towns/cities and plenty of scope for building. No public transport but no traffic to speak of either. And all dirt cheap for people selling houses in the southeast.

Seaham, mentioned above, is a good example - it’s a hidden gem now really, it would cost an arm and a leg to live somewhere like that in the south. A traffic-free little town by the sea with all amenities, countryside round about and a city centre only 15 minutes drive from there. Yet someone on here called it a shithole.
Seaham is really different from how I remember it just 20 years ago. I really like it now.

Also so many southerners won't consider Northumberland as a holiday destination because they (genuinely) think it has an Arctic climate.

Good!! And Robson Green can get fecked too advertising how lovely it is. Shhhh man!!

I lived in Co Durham until I went to uni at 18 and would say it’s a great place to live, but not to the exclusion of all others. The 3 years I spent in Edinburgh were exceptional and I’d move back there in a heartbeat. I’m in Montréal now and move to the other side of Canada in Feb. But when I get back to the UK in June, that is home. The exact town/city doesn’t matter because it’s so small, everything is close enough if you want to see family.

Je me souviens.
The vastness of the dominion has changed your perspective:)

Been back for a month now. Two things that have really struck me;

1. How open everyone is compared to down south - you meet someone for the first time and they immediately tell you personal stuff.
2. Mesmerised by the 5 red lights in the sky.

Back