Returning to the north east after 44 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funnily enough, I got used to the freezing cold months but I never adapted to the scorchers. Now I'm back in Co Durham it's never cooler than about -5° even in winter and I've lost my montréalais hardness. :lol:
I lived in the far-east before,the humidity was incredible at times,Ottawa summers are beautiful in comparison,the winters are killers.

Last I was there I was passing through on my way to Mam's funeral and I thought that I would give Marley Pots a look for old time's sake. It was a quiet Sunday afternoon and interestingly they seemed to have cop cars running around the estate instead of the ice cream vans that I had been familiar with. I parked up beside our old home but before very long I decided it was best to drive on in case someone thought that a competing drug lord had just turned up. :D

I did notice that they still had the privet hedge around our house and that the garden was nice although mam's favorite laburnum tree had gone . Mr grandad and nan are still in Southwick Cemetery so I still have family connections there.
I notice you say you left Sunderland in 1966 . Weren't you still at school then ? I thought I'm older than you and I didn't leave until '68 after a year in the remove . Then they removed me .

I notice you say you left Sunderland in 1966 . Weren't you still at school then ? I thought I'm older than you and I didn't leave until '68 after a year in the remove . Then they removed me .
Nah I said I left Marley Pots in 1966 mam and dad just moved to another part of Sunderland - I left Sunderland in 1971 returned for a year and then left permanently in 1977.

The funny thing is if you read my great great paternal grandfather's story on a recent thread my fathers' family didn't arrive in Sunderland until 1870 or thereabouts.
Because of a number of factors there is a good possibility that my father's family was exiled to Northern Ireland as Reivers around 1605 so ending up in Marley Pots was about par for the course.

Its grim - cant wait till we get the electric light
We should have kept it in Sunderland
Weather is just too shit. Its shit in London too. Everyone remembers the sunny days from when they were kids but kijing though the cheviots in a hoolie is f***ing grim
Sunderland gets more sun than London
I don't have any issue with the weather in the northeast, mind. When I lived in Montréal the weather really dictated what I could and couldn't do: in summer it was 38°C and humid so I could barely go outside! En winter it was in the -30s but I coped much better. Nowt too unmanageable in Durham!
I loved Montreal when I was there. The people were so friendly the weather and food was great and I went to the Jazz festival. I'm not really a fan of jazz music but it was a great experience.

Last edited:
I remember going to do a job at a house a few years ago, got talking to the bloke and he told me he had lived in Morpeth until he was 17 then moved to Hong Kong, joined the police force and lived there until he retired. He had just moved back to the uk(still Morpeth), and just couldn’t get his head around how much had changed, not just the layout of everything but the culture and people. Felt quite sorry for him, it obviously wasn’t what he was expecting.

It doesn't like but ok.
It's the smog down there :lol:.

In all seriousness there isn't an awful lot of difference with the 20 year avererage sunshine hours depending on which Met office weather station you look at. Sunderland hasn't got a weather station but if you look at the Tynemouth one (1515 hours) then compare it with Hampstead (1540 hours/year) the average difference really is negligible.

It's the smog down there :lol:.

In all seriousness there isn't an awful lot of difference with the 20 year avererage sunshine hours depending on which Met office weather station you look at. Sunderland hasn't got a weather station but if you look at the Tynemouth one (1515 hours) then compare it with Hampstead (1540 hours/year) the average difference really is negligible.
Is not much difference no. Less rain, more sun and slightly milder here but you're right it's not much.

Is not much difference no. Less rain, more sun and slightly milder here but you're right it's not much.
London has more rain than Sunderland (over 100mm) and broadly comparable sunshine hours. Some years we have more sunshine hours, sometimes less. This is according to Met Office 30 year averages.

I don't know where you get your information. Guessing I guess?

I remember going to do a job at a house a few years ago, got talking to the bloke and he told me he had lived in Morpeth until he was 17 then moved to Hong Kong, joined the police force and lived there until he retired. He had just moved back to the uk(still Morpeth), and just couldn’t get his head around how much had changed, not just the layout of everything but the culture and people. Felt quite sorry for him, it obviously wasn’t what he was expecting.
He must have seen a massive amount of changes in Honkers over his time there also,it's no longer the world of Suzi Wong,huge changes in the last 3 decades,everywhere changes,it's life.

Climate data. Org
Try the Met Office.

Not being funny but I've studied climatology and meteorology and spent quite a bit of time looking at historic data sets. London is a lot warmer than Sunderland, but not really different when it comes to sunshine or rainfall due to our unique geography. A few miles inland is different

London has more rain than Sunderland (over 100mm) and broadly comparable sunshine hours. Some years we have more sunshine hours, sometimes less. This is according to Met Office 30 year averages.

I don't know where you get your information. Guessing I guess?
Me ma and da come down and house/pet sit for us when we go on holiday. They love the warmth down here for our end of January holiday. They’re not so keen on the May and September ones. Ower hot for em in comparison with NE. The wind n rain down here are nowt in comparison to up there. I only found out that walking without leaning forward was humanly possible when I left the NE.

Nah I said I left Marley Pots in 1966 mam and dad just moved to another part of Sunderland - I left Sunderland in 1971 returned for a year and then left permanently in 1977.

The funny thing is if you read my great great paternal grandfather's story on a recent thread my fathers' family didn't arrive in Sunderland until 1870 or thereabouts.
Because of a number of factors there is a good possibility that my father's family was exiled to Northern Ireland as Reivers around 1605 so ending up in Marley Pots was about par for the course.
Thanks for the explanation . I wonder, did you fag for me at Southmoor ? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back