Returning to the north east after 44 years

Me ma and da come down and house/pet sit for us when we go on holiday. They love the warmth down here for our end of January holiday. They’re not so keen on the May and September ones. Ower hot for em in comparison with NE. The wind n rain down here are nowt in comparison to up there. I only found out that walking without leaning forward was humanly possible when I left the NE.
Because its windy and cold up here people automatically think we get loads of rain. We dont. We had one light rain shower in the whole of April and it was sunny most days.

In Britain it rains more in the west and gets less the further east you go. Being in the north or south makes little difference to rainfall levels.
Bognor Regis is the place for sunshine
Any place beginning with B on the south coast
Bognor Regis is the place for sunshine
They also get more rain than Sunderland which does surprise me.

Last edited:

Last edited:
He lives in a city with 146 rain days per year while we have 109. People on this board talk a load of pish :lol:

For those that have absolutely no idea about the weather in Sunderland look at the map of average yearly rain. You might have to take your rosey southern specs off though 😎
Can’t believe anyone is trying to defend north East weather. It’s f***ing shite. It’s not as wet and west coast etc but fuck me with the North Sea wind and cold it makes the south of england look like st tropez. There’s about 10 degrees difference in temp.

Can’t believe anyone is trying to defend north East weather. It’s f***ing shite. It’s not as wet and west coast etc but fuck me with the North Sea wind and cold it makes the south of england look like st tropez. There’s about 10 degrees difference in temp.
Firstly stop talking pish. No one has defended our shit weather, certainly not me.But when people are talking shit saying it always rains in Sunderland and is never sunny they should be corrected.

This. Worked in Brighton (ooh eer) for a month in July 2017 and the first 10 days or so it was 29 degrees plus, remember sweltering in the shitty accommodation. I checked the weather app a few times and most days it was 13-15c overcast or wet in Sunderland (like it had been the previous two weeks I was there). Same happened a year later when I worked in Torquay. Scorching down there, literally 15c higher than SR3 (according to the app) some days.

We agreed London gets less rain than Sunderland. Can you source your sunshine hours also?
We agreed nothing of the sort :lol:

Yes I can source my data
Sitting in me garden now still 19 degrees
Still 17 degrees in mine and amazingly its sunny. Just about to go in my hot tub
We agreed London gets less rain than Sunderland. Can you source your sunshine hours also?
For your amusement if you check the 30 year averages you will see:
Sun hrs/yr. Rain mm/y
Tynemouth. 1515. 597
Greenwich observatory 1410. 557
Hampstead. 1540. 704
Kew gardens. 1653. 622
Northolt. No data. 639
146 days of rain compared to 109 days here. Almost 50% more rain days than we get.

Last edited:

Back