Returning to the north east after 44 years

I never feel like London gets that much rain. Not a very wet city imo.
It doesn’t . It’s like a micro climate . Nearly always warmer than elsewhere in the UK too
Can’t believe anyone is trying to defend north East weather. It’s f***ing shite. It’s not as wet and west coast etc but fuck me with the North Sea wind and cold it makes the south of england look like st tropez. There’s about 10 degrees difference in temp.
I love lots of things about back home but if there is one thing that’s a constant pain it’s the shocking miserable weather. It seems every time I come up it’s either miserable drizzle or wind, or both, or it’s happened recently and the ground is still wet. Granted not as bad as the west coast but still infuriating. If it had good weather the beaches would be an economic boom area from seaton Carew up to Northumberland

Last edited by a moderator:
We agreed nothing of the sort :lol:

Yes I can source my data

Still 17 degrees in mine and amazingly its sunny. Just about to go in my hot tub

For your amusement if you check the 30 year averages you will see:
Sun hrs/yr. Rain mm/y
Tynemouth. 1515. 597
Greenwich observatory 1410. 557
Hampstead. 1540. 704
Kew gardens. 1653. 622
Northolt. No data. 639

146 days of rain compared to 109 days here. Almost 50% more rain days than we get.

165 rainy days in the Uk last year mind UK: Annual rain days 1990-2019 | Statista

Going to be lovely down in the smoke again today. Went out for me walk at half 6 and it is glorious out there

I wonder how much the drop in traffic and all the emmissions and stuff has affected the weather - you lot are having a prolonged period of good weather, most of this part of europe are on a drought warning its been that warm and dry for the time of year as well

London is surrounded on 3 sides by hills in what's known as The London Basin. It gets plenty of sunshine, probably about the same as Sunderland and the rainfall is comparable. In summer it's always a lot warmer down the smoke but in winter they get plenty of days colder than Sunderland when the wind is coming from the continent. The biggest difference is the wind, it always seems windy up in Sunderland and loads more foggy days. I'm living down Portsmouth and get sick of explaining to people down here that it doesn't rain all the time up there, they never believe me.
Lyrics like this from a Genesis song don't help dispel the belief either.

"For a gaol can give you a goal
[and a] goal can find you a role
On a muddy pitch in Newcastle,
Where it rains so much"

Back on topic, my missus is from down south and loves it up in Sunderland she wants to move up there. Not a f***ing chance I tell her, being on holiday up there is completely different from living there. Although once I retire I might change my mind. I have made it clear though once I die I want my ashes dumped off the end of Roker Pier, I've checked the tides and there is zero chance of them drifting anywhere near the tyne.

165 rainy days in the Uk last year mind UK: Annual rain days 1990-2019 | Statista
Sunderland, S Shields and the south Northumberland coast lies in rain shadows from the hills in the north, west and south

This gives us less cloud and rain than the surrounding areas as it gets dumped on Newcastle and Durham before it gets to us. Its called an orographic effect, much the same as in South Moravia if you have a clue where that is :D

Sunderland, S Shields and the south Northumberland coast lies in rain shadows from the hills in the north, west and south

This gives us less cloud and rain than the surrounding areas as it gets dumped on Newcastle and Durham before it gets to us. Its called an orographic effect, much the same as in South Moravia if you have a clue where that is :D

:lol: I have heard of it

I've had a plant in my allotment for the last 2 year but got no fruit.
It’s like them asparagus I gave you mate don’t touch them for two year. Also you need a male and female for them to fruit. Mind you can now get single plants that will fruit.
I got a loads of asparagus through but just got to leave then. How’s yours doing.
Just been a herd of wilderbeest go up the back lane in SR6
Vultures circling back house for the owld coffin dodgers flaking out.

it’s cold now to be honest.

Last edited:
It’s like them asparagus I gave you mate don’t touch them for two year. Also you need a male and female for them to fruit. Mind you can now get single plants that will fruit.
I got a loads of asparagus through but just got to leave then. How’s yours doing.

Vultures circling back house for the owld coffin dodgers flaking out.

it’s cold now to be honest.
Doing great. Little ferns now cheers.

I bought 2 a couple of years ago and 1 died. I should probably get another one then.

Always much warmer down that way than the North East
Generally a cooling breeze from the North Sea keeps our temps at least 5 degrees lower , often more
Yes,roasting today down here,but Whitley bay was on the news earlier and it seemed a bit windy.

Did the OP ever move back home??? Don’t fancy wading through 11 pages or people saying where they live is better than where everyone lives.

Back