Prog Rock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have a couple of Katatonia albums but I haven't listened to them in years, I'll check out pain of salvation and some of the Rush albums you recommended.. Cheers.
The later period Katatonia is more melancholic and atmospheric. The earlier stuff is much heavier with a growls in the vocals but the later stuff his voice is so bloody melodic.

I can't get away with the Rush love-in on here. Horrible screechy vocals, warmed-over Zep riffs, no thanks.

And as for the lyrics, don't get me started...Geddy Lee should learn to keep it real. A few lessons from Jon Anderson wouldn't go amiss.

Neil Peart is the lyricist. They ditched the Sci-Fi and fantasty stuff after Hemisphere`s in 1978. Since then they`ve tackled far more real life/social commentary issues issues. Peart is acknowledged as a top class lyricist. The sub Zep riffs went after their debut album in 1974 too. The 80`s era Rush was far more restrained with the riffs taking in synthsNew Wave and Ska influences

By the way if you like Jon Anderson his new release with Roine Stolt from the Flower Kings is worth checking out.

Last edited:
I only found Steve Wilson through his work with Opeth..
What rush albums would you recommend? I have 2112 and Moving pictures..

Counterparts
Grace Under Pressure
Hold Your Fire
Roll The Bones
Test For Echo
Power Windows

For personal favourite prog rock (& prog metal) bands, mine are:

Tool
Rush
Marillion (Fish era)
Dream Theater
Queensryche

Some modern cariants of the genre are quite interesting too...
Anglagard
LITE
Actual Music Quartet RSM
Don Caballero

Also, an honorable mention to Meatloaf for a couple of tracks.

:lol: Bit harsh that.

Reading through these posts I'm still not sure what Prog Rock actually is, other than Genesis and Yes (and I assume 'pop' Genesis weren't Prog). I suspect I probably like a few things that would fall under the category although they wouldn't be by Genesis or Yes.

Rock music essentially, but written so that the music progresses rather than being the usual "pop" song structure of intro-verse-bridge-chorus-verse-bridge-chorus-middle8-chorus-end (or variations on that theme).

Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody is an easy example of a progressive rock song everyone will have heard of. Goes all over the place, has no chorus section at all and only a few melodies that are repeated elsewhere in the song.

^^^^ variants* not "cariants".

Last edited:
Counterparts
Grace Under Pressure
Hold Your Fire
Roll The Bones
Test For Echo
Power Windows

Tool
Rush
Marillion (Fish era)
Dream Theater
Queensryche

Anglagard
LITE
Actual Music Quartet RSM
Don Caballero

Rock music essentially, but written so that the music progresses rather than being the usual "pop" song structure of intro-verse-bridge-chorus-verse-bridge-chorus-middle8-chorus-end (or variations on that theme).

Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody is an easy example of a progressive rock song everyone will have heard of. Goes all over the place, has no chorus section at all and only a few melodies that are repeated elsewhere in the song.

If it involves Bohemian Rhapsody then no thanks. Based on that definition, would The Fall qualify? I f***ing love them.

If you like Jon Anderson his 'Olias Of Sunhillow' album is well worth a listen. Progtastic album title as well.

Logon or register to see this image
Great album, just discovered by chance last year.fantastic vocals

Big fan of Genesis. Always meant to listen to others. Any recommendations?
Some great recommendations from other posters. Yes are worth a listen, started off with a best of the progressed to individual albums. Gentle giant are worth a punt, recommended ages ago on here and very good. Jade warrior are another recommendation from here that are great. The mother of all prog has to be King Crimson, great act to start with.

Last edited:
If you associate prog with concept albums, then the Moody Blues should be included. They had a few decent albums, and some just full of pretentious crap.
Days of future Passed is canny, and has the full version of Nights in White Satin on it.

Playing this at the moment. My favourite Jethro Tull album 'Thick As A Brick'. Technically prog? I love 'A Passion Play' by them as well.

Logon or register to see this image
Probably prog. Was recorded as a reaction to critics describing Aqualung as a concept album. Anderson disagreed and said "righto then, I'll give you the mother of all concept albums". :lol:

They played it in full on the Thick as a Brick II tour a few years back, with all the theatricals and jokes as they did in 72. Absolutely brilliant.

Being brought up on punk it was anathema to me, but I've got right into Henry Cow and related acts recently.

Never f***ing Genesis though.

Don't think of the later Genesis stuff Marra, i.e. the Phil Collins pop band version. Try Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, Selling England By The Pound, and maybe The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway. That is to say, the Peter Gabriel Genesis. The rest is shite.

Anderson is touring with rabin and wakeman as well
Now I want to see that Trevor Rabin is a genius.

Counterparts
Grace Under Pressure
Hold Your Fire
Roll The Bones
Test For Echo
Power Windows

Tool
Rush
Marillion (Fish era)
Dream Theater
Queensryche

Anglagard
LITE
Actual Music Quartet RSM
Don Caballero

Brave and Marbles from the Steve Hogarth era are also top class modern Prog albums

Has no one mentioned King Crimson`s In The Court of the Crimson King yet?? Epitaph must surely be one of Progs greatest moments when those mellotrons go into over drive.

If it involves Bohemian Rhapsody then no thanks. Based on that definition, would The Fall qualify? I f***ing love them.

I'm not familiar with their catalogue, but if this song is typical of their writing style, then they're almost the opposite of prog rock - they have one idea for a riff and play it for the entire duration of the song with no progression at all...

That said, the song almost sounds like the intro to a prog rock song, though. If they used almost exactly what they have there with maybe a few minor variations for the start of a 10 minute song that then went on to have peaks and troughs and take you on more of a musical journey then it would qualify.

Take this Tool song for example... They start off with only a few basic ideas with variations on the theme, but they pass it between instruments a bit and vary it more and more throughout the song while incorporating other themes, very much like you see in classical music.

Don't think of the later Genesis stuff Marra, i.e. the Phil Collins pop band version. Try Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, Selling England By The Pound, and maybe The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway. That is to say, the Peter Gabriel Genesis. The rest is shite.

The invisible touch album is the only one I have a problem with. The rest I see as the band changing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back