Prog Rock?

I'm not familiar with their catalogue, but if this song is typical of their writing style, then they're almost the opposite of prog rock - they have one idea for a riff and play it for the entire duration of the song with no progression at all...

That said, the song almost sounds like the intro to a prog rock song, though. If they used almost exactly what they have there with maybe a few minor variations for the start of a 10 minute song that then went on to have peaks and troughs and take you on more of a musical journey then it would qualify.

Take this Tool song for example... They start off with only a few basic ideas with variations on the theme, but they pass it between instruments a bit and vary it more and more throughout the song while incorporating other themes, very much like you see in classical music.

Much as it will leave me open to ridicule, I have to say I like Tool.

I'm surprised you don't know of The Fall. As Peel once said - 'always different, always the same' (or something along those lines).

Much as it will leave me open to ridicule, I have to say I like Tool.

I'm surprised you don't know of The Fall. As Peel once said - 'always different, always the same' (or something along those lines).

I've heard people talking about The Fall many times, and probably have heard one or two tracks over the years while inebriated but never been grabbed by them. Is it worth exploring?

Oh and :cool: Tool are awesome, fuck the naysayers - they're all wrong.

Counterparts
Grace Under Pressure
Hold Your Fire
Roll The Bones
Test For Echo
Power Windows

For personal favourite prog rock (& prog metal) bands, mine are:

Tool
Rush
Marillion (Fish era)
Dream Theater
Queensryche

Some modern cariants of the genre are quite interesting too...
Anglagard
LITE
Actual Music Quartet RSM
Don Caballero

Also, an honorable mention to Meatloaf for a couple of tracks.

Rock music essentially, but written so that the music progresses rather than being the usual "pop" song structure of intro-verse-bridge-chorus-verse-bridge-chorus-middle8-chorus-end (or variations on that theme).

Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody is an easy example of a progressive rock song everyone will have heard of. Goes all over the place, has no chorus section at all and only a few melodies that are repeated elsewhere in the song.

^^^^ variants* not "cariants".

No Clockwork Angels? I've played that virtually non stop since I got it. All Rush songs are great but this album ranks alongside 2112 and GUP for me as being their best ever.

The 90s prog revival, which was basically one band

Very good album though

Suppose there was a few other weirdos like Ozric Tentacles etc

What happened to Dr Phibes

Demise[edit]

On 16 February, 1997 Howard King Jr was charged by North Wales Police with murdering his mother, Avril Fiona King, two days earlier at their shared home in Connah's Quay in north East Wales. King Jr, who stabbed and beat his mother, was jailed for life at Caernarfon Crown Court.[2]

Never knew that @Arkle

Last edited by a moderator:
The 90s prog revival, which was basically one band

[vid snip]

Very good album though

Suppose there was a few other weirdos like Ozric Tentacles etc

Canny!

"Basically one band [in the 90's]" is utter piffle though. :lol:

(Aside from the fact that many prog artists like Rush, Queen, Marillion/Fish, Asia, Yes, Mike Oldfield, Jethro Tull, Barclay James Harvest, Fates Warning and Queensryche were still producing new material every few years throughout the 80's so I'd debate there being a "revival" in the 90's at all...)

Pink Floyd's Division Bell was early 90's, Rush's Roll The Bones, Counterparts and Test For Echo were 90's, you had new material from many existing prog bands like Asia, Yes, shedloads of Steve Howe, Jethro Tull, Porcupine Tree, Barclay James Harvest, Queensryche, Fates Warning, the reformed King Crimson, and then from the heavier end of the spectrum you had bands like Dream Theater that were on the road to prominence throughout the 90's, Liquid Tension Experiment, Pain Of Salvation, Opeth, Symphony X, and Tool released their first two albums in the 90's, we also had new bands making more traditional-sounding prog such as...

Spock's Beard...

Änglagård...

IQ...

...and many other newcomers like Deus Ex Machina, The Flower Kings, Apocalypse (Brazil).

That's before you get onto the emergence of minimalistic prog bands calling themselves "post rock" like Sigur Ros, and the obvious prog influences in select tracks by a wide range of bigger artists like Soundgarden and Radiohead. :D

Wow, this was supposed to be a quick post and it's ended up taking over an hour with all the YouTube/Wiki exploration. :lol:

Last edited:
Canny!

"Basically one band [in the 90's]" is utter piffle though. :lol:

(Aside from the fact that many prog artists like Rush, Queen, Marillion/Fish, Asia, Yes, Mike Oldfield, Jethro Tull, Barclay James Harvest, Fates Warning and Queensryche were still producing new material every few years throughout the 80's so I'd debate there being a "revival" in the 90's at all...)

Pink Floyd's Division Bell was early 90's, Rush's Roll The Bones, Counterparts and Test For Echo were 90's, you had new material from many existing prog bands like Asia, Yes, shedloads of Steve Howe, Jethro Tull, Porcupine Tree, Barclay James Harvest, Queensryche, Fates Warning, the reformed King Crimson, and then from the heavier end of the spectrum you had bands like Dream Theater that were on the road to prominence throughout the 90's, Liquid Tension Experiment, Pain Of Salvation, Opeth, Symphony X, and Tool released their first two albums in the 90's, we also had new bands making more traditional-sounding prog such as...

Spock's Beard...

Änglagård...

IQ...

...and many other newcomers like Deus Ex Machina, The Flower Kings, Apocalypse (Brazil).

That's before you get onto the emergence of minimalistic prog bands calling themselves "post rock" like Sigur Ros, and the obvious prog influences in select tracks by a wide range of bigger artists like Soundgarden and Radiohead. :D

Wow, this was supposed to be a quick post and it's ended up taking over an hour with all the YouTube/Wiki exploration. :lol:
At least it keeps you off the streets

The invisible touch album is the only one I have a problem with. The rest I see as the band changing
i would agree with you there, he band of the late 80s was not the band of the late 70s and nor could it, but then how many other prog bands played four nights at wembley?!

i can't get away with from genesis to revelation either, other than the silent sun the rest is garbage - but then they were kids straight out of prep school.

i sway between which era i listen to, the 4 member mid 70s double album period is currently my place of choice... what would be considered the b side of the lp wind in wuthering is the selection of songs currently playing right now... :)

i.e. the Phil Collins pop band version.
the irony of the rkive interviews of a year or two ago, is that the drive behind that late 80s pop sound was Tony Banks, and to some degree Gabriel even though he wasnt in the band! Seeing his solo chart success (& Collins) influenced, or appers to have from interviews, the sound and success Banks wanted from Genesis themselves.

i was in rome for their 2007 gig at the circus maximus (look at me!) and commented on them playing to over 500,000 - they must have done something right? although i thought the biggest crowd reaction was for 'i know what you like'... :)

Last edited:
Anderson is touring with rabin and wakeman as well
Finally, got to see Trevor Rabin last night in York with Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman. An absolute master class in Prog with a great mix of old (Awaken, Heart of Sunrise, And You and I and Perpetual Change) with the more streamlined Rabin era material (Changes, Hold On and Rhythm of Love and also I Am waiting from the Talk album which was sublime.). Anderson`s voice was absolutely spot on too.

Finally, got to see Trevor Rabin last night in York with Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman. An absolute master class in Prog with a great mix of old (Awaken, Heart of Sunrise, And You and I and Perpetual Change) with the more streamlined Rabin era material (Changes, Hold On and Rhythm of Love and also I Am waiting from the Talk album which was sublime.). Anderson`s voice was absolutely spot on too.
I was at the city hall gig. Awaken was the highlight for me. I' surprised the stage supported Wakeman the big fat fucker. Good gig but they have been better.

I was at the city hall gig. Awaken was the highlight for me. I' surprised the stage supported Wakeman the big fat fucker. Good gig but they have been better.
I would`ve been there but I was away with work and wasn`t going to be able to get into Newcastle until after 8:30. I didn`t want to miss the first half hour or so, so decided to have a day off in York and catch them there. I did PiL instead on Tuesday as they weren`t coming on until after 9:00pm so I had more chance to get there for the start. Awaken was definitely a highlight as was I Am waiting from the Talk album. I`d chuck up some photos I took in York but not too sure how to do it on here!!

Saw them about together 5 years ago and was disapointed - Rick had minimal equipment with him and I thought Anderson's voice was shot. Glad they seem to have upped their game.

Saw them about together 5 years ago and was disapointed - Rick had minimal equipment with him and I thought Anderson's voice was shot. Glad they seem to have upped their game.
Seriously, Anderson`s voice was astonishingly good. Maybe only faltered once but overall, for a 73 year old he was mighty impressive. Much more so than Ian Anderson earlier this year. That was quite painful to hear.

The Barbican is a good venue, I saw Marillion there that was a good concert too, the first time I'd seen them without Fish.

The Barbican is a good venue, I saw Marillion there that was a good concert too, the first time I'd seen them without Fish.
I was really impressed with it. I`d definitely go back if a decent band plays there and not up in Newcastle. It was a bit tricky trying to get the photos taken as there`s no photo pit and I didn`t want to stand in front of people but I got some decent shots from the steps on both sides. Wakeman was tricky to get as he was hidden behind huge banks of keyboards.

Back