Prog Rock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Can't see how Aqualung qualifies in any way as provided rock. Thick as a Brick or Passion Play maybe, but after a bluesy start Tull became more or less a genuine rock band with some folky influences.

Fair point. They were one of those bands that tended to get lumped in with Prog. As you rightly say, there was a lot more to them.

I picked and choosed. Couldn't get into Yes but loved Genesis but what I think I enjoyed most was the influence that spread from prog music. Some mentioned already but also the likes of Tull and Rush....Zep and Sabbath. Loads of bands weren't progressive as such but a generation did feed off it.

Amon Duul, Van Der Graaf Generator, the Planet Gong. It was a pretty broad church musically at its height.
These 3 bands are the pinnacle of prog. Gong turned me onto so much other stuff like the whole canterbury scene, Steve Hillage, Caravan, etc. And Amon Duul II opened up the world of krautrock with Can, Neu and Harmonia. I no longer smoke hash but they turned me on to that as well.

Can't see how Aqualung qualifies in any way as prog rock. Thick as a Brick or Passion Play maybe, but after a bluesy start Tull became more or less a genuine rock band with some folky influences.
"File under Progressive" was what record shops (ask your dad) used to do with anything by long-haired musicians. We didn't have so many categories and sub-categories then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back