Prog Rock?

Pretentious bollocks for mouth breathing types that wear t shirts with pictures of wolves and eagles on them.
:lol: Bit harsh that.

Reading through these posts I'm still not sure what Prog Rock actually is, other than Genesis and Yes (and I assume 'pop' Genesis weren't Prog). I suspect I probably like a few things that would fall under the category although they wouldn't be by Genesis or Yes.

:lol: Bit harsh that.

Reading through these posts I'm still not sure what Prog Rock actually is, other than Genesis and Yes (and I assume 'pop' Genesis weren't Prog). I suspect I probably like a few things that would fall under the category although they wouldn't be by Genesis or Yes.
Rock music made extra difficult for the sake of it,normally about a place that doesn't exist

Liked Family, bought music in a dolls house lp, Chapman had a great voice

Liked Family, bought music in a dolls house lp, Chapman had a great voice
I've got all their stuff, and a few Chapman solo albums. Not sure if I would ever class them as prog though. There's a very good fb page...Roger Chapman and Family appreciation group, this has very knowledgeable membership, including the original drummer, Harry Ovenall. He has some tales to tell.

I only found Steve Wilson through his work with Opeth..
What rush albums would you recommend? I have 2112 and Moving pictures..
Opeth...bloody brilliant. Try Katatonia who do truly beautiful, dark, melancholic music too and Pain of Salvation who cover so many styles and each album is different.

as for Rush. If you like the shorter, snappier stuff you could go for Permanent Waves. Signals brought in elements of Ska and was more synth based. I didn`t like it when it first came out but it didn`t half grow on me and I credit that album with the one that opened my eyes to listening to different styles of music.

I also have a soft spot for Grace Under Pressure. It`s quite a stark, bleak album but has some great songs. Again there`s an element of Ska rhythms in there in The Enemy Within and songs like After Image, Red Sector A and between The Wheels are excellent.

For a more hi-tech approach Power Windows and Hold Your Fire are excellent. Quite keyboard orientated and Alex Lifeson`s guitar sound is tight and snappy along the lines of maybe early U2 but Middletown Dreams from Power Windows is one of the best songs Rush have done and Manhattan Project and Marathon are both excellent songs.

If you like it more Proggy jump in the deep end with Hemispheres which sees Rush at their most self indulgent. A Farewell To Kings is also highly recommended with Xanadu and Cygnus X-1 going deep into Prog territory.

You have two of their very best in 2112 and Moving Pictures. If you like those you can`t go wrong with anything from 2112 to Hold Your Fire so basically everything from 1976 to 1987.

But don`t forget to check out Katatonia and Pain of Salvation. I assume you also know of Porcupine Tree through Steven Wilson...if not check out Fear of a Blank Planet.

Opeth...bloody brilliant. Try Katatonia who do truly beautiful, dark, melancholic music too and Pain of Salvation who cover so many styles and each album is different.

as for Rush. If you like the shorter, snappier stuff you could go for Permanent Waves. Signals brought in elements of Ska and was more synth based. I didn`t like it when it first came out but it didn`t half grow on me and I credit that album with the one that opened my eyes to listening to different styles of music.

I also have a soft spot for Grace Under Pressure. It`s quite a stark, bleak album but has some great songs. Again there`s an element of Ska rhythms in there in The Enemy Within and songs like After Image, Red Sector A and between The Wheels are excellent.

For a more hi-tech approach Power Windows and Hold Your Fire are excellent. Quite keyboard orientated and Alex Lifeson`s guitar sound is tight and snappy along the lines of maybe early U2 but Middletown Dreams from Power Windows is one of the best songs Rush have done and Manhattan Project and Marathon are both excellent songs.

If you like it more Proggy jump in the deep end with Hemispheres which sees Rush at their most self indulgent. A Farewell To Kings is also highly recommended with Xanadu and Cygnus X-1 going deep into Prog territory.

You have two of their very best in 2112 and Moving Pictures. If you like those you can`t go wrong with anything from 2112 to Hold Your Fire so basically everything from 1976 to 1987.

But don`t forget to check out Katatonia and Pain of Salvation. I assume you also know of Porcupine Tree through Steven Wilson...if not check out Fear of a Blank Planet.
I have a couple of Katatonia albums but I haven't listened to them in years, I'll check out pain of salvation and some of the Rush albums you recommended.. Cheers.

Back