Police funding has been cut 25 per cent

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has to be addressed.

While it was good to see such a good police presence at Central Station this morning and it will be the same nationwide, it had me thinking we cannot as a country get in a position where we allow our police to become completely overstretched.

Has already happened

Yeah I did notice that. One year could be an anomaly however - if we see a reversal in the trend for 10 consecutive years it would be hard to argue against.

Some more evidence:

Logon or register to see this image

I'm nee expert but it seems most indicators tell us that crime is going down in the UK. No idea if someone is fudging the statistics but even if you adjust things by say 10% there seems to be a clear downward trend.

Not really

I'm just trying to find some objective evidence mate. Crime looks like it's falling. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
Yeah I did notice that. One year could be an anomaly however - if we see a reversal in the trend for 10 consecutive years it would be hard to argue against.

Some more evidence:

I'm nee expert but it seems most indicators tell us that crime is going down in the UK. No idea if someone is fudging the statistics but even if you adjust things by say 10% there seems to be a clear downward trend.
Orders can be given from government to start classifying crimes differently

A bit like when they lowered the poverty classification barrier a few years back to make it look like less people were in poverty

Sorry to bang on about it but cuts to the prison service are particularly damaging. Barely enough resources to keep prisoners from hanging themselves, never mind preventing radicalisation. The more people we arrest and prosecute the more we will have in our prisons and the combination of the stupidity and vulnerability of the average prisoner and the desire of extremists to recruit more is a toxic combo.
Labour were shits for this too mind. It a right mess and we have our head in the sand

The Tories never change

Forever trying to do things on the cheap

Orders can be given from government to start classifying crimes differently

A bit like when they lowered the poverty classification barrier a few years back to make it look like less people were in poverty
Maybe mate. Like I say I'm nee expert but those are the numbers we have. Wonder if @duff_man fancies weighing in. (For the record I think the police are underfunded - I'm just saying it's not likely crime is increasing)

Some more evidence:

I'm just trying to find some objective evidence mate. Crime looks like it's falling. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
But the Police deal with other things other than crime. Missing persons, public gatherings, football matches, demonstrations. Also there are more sexual offences being reported which take longer to investigate. Long term investigations like child sexual exploitation and human trafficking.

Some more evidence:

The ways in which crime is recorded have changed a couple of times during that time period. As well that is an estimate from the crime survery and not HO stats. As well the types fo crimes will have changed and that can have a huge bearing on it as well as the ability of forces to record and investigate crime. You can make the figures say anythign you like really.

Maybe mate. Like I say I'm nee expert but those are the numbers we have. Wonder if @duff_man fancies weighing in. (For the record I think the police are underfunded - I'm just saying it's not likely crime is increasing)

Figures have been massaged for years now and I will give you an example

Tonight in a city centre someone gets pissed and is shouting and swearing in the street causing someone present to be caused harassment,alarm or distress. Can be dealt with by two offences, either drunk and disorderly or public order act. If it is drunk and dis then that is a non recordable offence so no crime has been committed whereas the public order is a recordable offence so a crime has been committed.
It then gets even more complicated as if it is public order and the person is charged/cautioned/ticketed etc then it is a detected crime so can be used in the crimes we have solved column. It will be classified later by a crime unit to suit whatever target is the force or local priority.

I must add that the PC on the street has no part in this, they will arrest and record crime as they see it at the time, it is back office who then reclassify things

But the Police deal with other things other than crime. Missing persons, public gatherings, football matches, demonstrations. Also there are more sexual offences being reported which take longer to investigate. Long term investigations like child sexual exploitation and human trafficking.

This. I saw a statistic a few weeks back at a seminar saying that dealing with actual crime accounts for less than 50% of an officers time.

Use Northumbria as an example from Home Office stats (https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/police-recorded-crime-open-data-tables)

Crime recording changes came about in 2012-13 with some further changes more recently but it is important to compare stats using the same collection methods for better comparisons.

In 2012-13 there were 67,574 recorded crimes (12 murders)
In 2015-16 there were 93,758 recorded crimes (15 murders)
Already in 2016/17 (Q1 & Q2) there have been 7 murders,

Last edited:
Figures have been massaged for years now and I will give you an example

Tonight in a city centre someone gets pissed and is shouting and swearing in the street causing someone present to be caused harassment,alarm or distress. Can be dealt with by two offences, either drunk and disorderly or public order act. If it is drunk and dis then that is a non recordable offence so no crime has been committed whereas the public order is a recordable offence so a crime has been committed.
It then gets even more complicated as if it is public order and the person is charged/cautioned/ticketed etc then it is a detected crime so can be used in the crimes we have solved column. It will be classified later by a crime unit to suit whatever target is the force or local priority.

I must add that the PC on the street has no part in this, they will arrest and record crime as they see it at the time, it is back office who then reclassify things

This. I saw a statistic a few weeks back at a seminar saying that dealing with actual crime accounts for less than 50% of an officers time.
It's just like the wire

Politicians and senior coppers colluding to make crime 'magically' disappear by f***ing with stats

in the last five years

disgraceful imho

All overseen by Theresa May

This needs to end now, at no point have the public agreed to this, if anything it should be increased every year.

This is what two terms of Tory Rule brings, people have short memories
I agree 100% on this. Emergency services and education cuts are terrible.

Should it? Isn't crime falling?
No.

Probably falling as coppers are reluctant to do the shit stuff so doesn't get reported, so less going through the "books"? Maybe not as many coppers now so half the stuff goes under the radar also when it doesn't get investigated?

Just guessing mind, no proof or nowt in my babbling.

Probably falling as coppers are reluctant to do the shit stuff so doesn't get reported, so less going through the "books"? Maybe not as many coppers now so half the stuff goes under the radar also when it doesn't get investigated?

Just guessing mind, no proof or nowt in my babbling.
What do you mean by 5hit stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back