Player Club Moves For 2019

The problem is mate especially at second team level where participation is decreasing players don’t want to play cricket nearly all day and 40 overs could be a good compromise.

The problem is that juniors coming through the ranks at second team level need to be playing the same rules as the firsts. A top order batsman needs to learn to build his innings or learn to bat for a draw. Also not all second teamers want to play overs cricket.

I honestly think the best solution is to amalgamate the leagues into one setup and have the seconds play in the same pyramid system as the firsts therefore taking the pressure off struggling clubs to field 2 teams.

Anyone who wants to play overs cricket in a shorter format can surely play in the hetton Lyons league? The hlscl is of equal if not better standard the the dcl second team leagues, particularly the first division.

Last edited:

For all the benefits of promotion and relegation. I believe one of the downsides is kids are not given a chance. Clubs in the past may have thought let’s give these kids a couple of years in the first team yes we will lose a lot but they will get experience and in a few years we will reap the benefits.
Now a lot of clubs go and pay some has been or never been £1000
In the hope they can avoid relegation or stay up. I rekon 60% of paid players in dcl would be playing 2nd team cricket in premier league!!!

The problem is that juniors coming through the ranks at second team level need to be playing the same rules as the firsts. A top order batsman needs to learn to build his innings or learn to bat for a draw. Also not all second teamers want to play overs cricket.

I honestly think the best solution is to amalgamate the leagues into one setup and have the seconds play in the same pyramid system as the firsts therefore taking the pressure off struggling clubs to field 2 teams.

Anyone who wants to play overs cricket in a shorter format can surely play in the hetton Lyons league? The hlscl is of equal if not better standard the the dcl second team leagues, particularly the first division.

Sorry mate but while I agree with you overs cricket and the fact that not all second team players want it.
Imo it is clear a lot of people don’t want to be playing cricket all day on a Saturday that is why numbers are dwindling and tbh at the level they playing at don’t really want to see someone spending all day building their innings as it bores them and they would rather be doing something else other than playing cricket.

Personally I would look to change the second team set up completely. Keep it in place for premier league on Saturdays and say dcl1. Remove the Sunday league and remaining leagues could play 2nd team on sundays, allowing some 1st teamers (those who bat 8 and bowl a couple of overs) to step down to stop games being conceded. Not sure how this would all work and maybe 2nd team leagues could be seperate to 1st team leagues so strong dcl 2nd teams replace poor premier league 2nd teams. Food for thought but something needs to change

Personally I would look to change the second team set up completely. Keep it in place for premier league on Saturdays and say dcl1. Remove the Sunday league and remaining leagues could play 2nd team on sundays, allowing some 1st teamers (those who bat 8 and bowl a couple of overs) to step down to stop games being conceded. Not sure how this would all work and maybe 2nd team leagues could be seperate to 1st team leagues so strong dcl 2nd teams replace poor premier league 2nd teams. Food for thought but something needs to change

Sorry mate but that would be a massively backward step for local cricket imo.

While saving a few second team games you'd kill off Hetton Lyons League, which has 14 fixtures each week.

It would be another nail in the coffin for participation in NE cricket. Sunday leagues have been the one growth area in the last 30 years (based on someone telling me they barely existed til the early 90s).

Sorry mate but that would be a massively backward step for local cricket imo.

While saving a few second team games you'd kill off Hetton Lyons League, which has 14 fixtures each week.

It would be another nail in the coffin for participation in NE cricket. Sunday leagues have been the one growth area in the last 30 years (based on someone telling me they barely existed til the early 90s).

We will have to agree to disagree, Sunday leagues did not exist in 90s. However in 90s a lot more (nowhere near a couple) of teams had thriving juniors and second teams. It’s a sad day for me when hetton Lyons ( this is not a Critisism of them as they do a lot of hard work) have 2 or 3 junior sides and a stellar team like burnmoor have none at some age groups. Parents are drawn away from local teams to premier league sides, it’s the nature of the beast with parents these days. When I was a. Kid u went to ur nearest team irrespective of what league they were in or how good their junior set up was. I have ran junior teams in past and the biggest obstacle is parents trying to live out their dreams via their kids.

Last edited:
For all the benefits of promotion and relegation. I believe one of the downsides is kids are not given a chance. Clubs in the past may have thought let’s give these kids a couple of years in the first team yes we will lose a lot but they will get experience and in a few years we will reap the benefits.
Now a lot of clubs go and pay some has been or never been £1000
In the hope they can avoid relegation or stay up. I rekon 60% of paid players in dcl would be playing 2nd team cricket in premier league!!!

Hmm. A lot of paid DCL players wouldn’t feature for the top NEPL first teams but I think that’s a major exaggeration overall.

Hmm. A lot of paid DCL players wouldn’t feature for the top NEPL first teams but I think that’s a major exaggeration overall.

You maybe right I was thinking of division 1 only mind (I forget they have 2 leagues now) I can think of 3 players who played in the Philadelphia 2nd team when I captained them in the premier league who are now paid in dcl and I doubt they would get a game in Nepl 1 1st team

Last edited:
Sorry mate but while I agree with you overs cricket and the fact that not all second team players want it.
Imo it is clear a lot of people don’t want to be playing cricket all day on a Saturday that is why numbers are dwindling and tbh at the level they playing at don’t really want to see someone spending all day building their innings as it bores them and they would rather be doing something else other than playing cricket.
You’re right that a lot of second teamers get bored playing all day, that’s why they should go play in the hetton Lyons league. I was thinking about developing younger players who need to be playing the same type of cricket as the first teams.

Again, putting second teams in the same structure as the firsts will solve the problem imo. The “bored” players can go and play 45 overs on a Sunday, and whilst this would further reduce the pool of second teamers, (and therefore second teams) clubs wouldn’t have to struggle putting second teams out, they needn’t field one!

Fewer second teams and therefore games also helps the problem of not having enough umpires.

Those second team regulars who still enjoy the longer form can go to clubs who still have second teams in the “new” pyramid structure. I reckon the fact that the seconds could be promoted and relegated in their own right and therefore play some first teams will keep more players interested in playing seconds. I think a big problem of second team cricket at the minute is it’s meaningless. At the minute the league they play in dcl depends on what the first team has done. Add a bit spice to the second team games and you will get better participation

Again any influx of “bored” players into the Sunday leagues could allow that to expand.

Agree, it makes sense in many ways, so, lets do it.
Paid players is a scourge on all levels of cricket and if clubs want to pay "ordinary" players then, sadly, it is up to them, and if they go bankrupt then it is nobody's fault but their own. The same clubs cannot then claim that they cannot pay "fines". Just heard this week that one DCL club has had "money offers" made to 2 of their second team players from other DCL clubs !!
Agree with the fines comment, dock points not money from the clubs who do not have money to waste.
Still playing "overs cricket", just it is 95 instead of 90. Yes it does have the "draw" option and I still feel that cricket, at all levels, should place as much emphasis on taking 10 wickets as it does on scoring runs to win games.
As for the Umpires, yes the NEDCL has enough umpires but every other league is short. Share them out so all games get at least one qualified umpire.
I have no problem calling the merged league the NORTH EAST CRICKET LEAGUE, as it could attract clubs from just over the Durham borders, e.g Northumberland, Cleveland and even North Yorkshire.
Also would propose shorter games, 40 overs per side ?, for second team cricket, if that is what clubs would want ?
Get the debate moving, and for the good of local cricket sit down and talk sense with each other.
Do not have one club or one league digging their heels in and stopping progress. We saw what that did for the Durham Senior League.
I just see issues, at the minute no one is paid in the NEDCL so worry it will creep in.
At our recent AGM members unanimously voted they wanted to play 45 overs, not changing the format. So I'm worried we would lose players. Likewise the umpires were all offered a few years ago to join the DCL, 2 left, again worried many would retire as they almost all played in the league or were affiliated to a club.

So members of 10 clubs should just move leagues. So instead the NEDCL should merge with HLSL instead.

As far as I can see it's chucking our club and league on the scrap heap. We run two teams and are founding a junior team and I can't honestly see us continuing if this change happens.
Add to that the poor manner that the DCL put forward the idea, showing utter sustain for the NEDCL and its clubs. Don't think it will be an easy road ahead.

Last edited:
I just see issues, at the minute no one is paid in the NEDCL so worry it will creep in.
At our recent AGM members unanimously voted they wanted to play 45 overs, not changing the format. So I'm worried we would lose players. Likewise the umpires were all offered a few years ago to join the DCL, 2 left, again worried many would retire as they almost all played in the league or were affiliated to a club.

So members of 10 clubs should just move leagues. So instead the NEDCL should merge with HLSL instead.

As far as I can see it's chucking our club and league on the scrap heap. We run two teams and are founding a junior team and I can't honestly see us continuing if this change happens.
Add to that the poor manner that the DCL put forward the idea, showing utter sustain for the NEDCL and its clubs. Don't think it will be an easy road ahead.
No not at all.

You’re correct, the DCL are a shambles at times! I think all the leagues should disband and merge once and for all under one banner and that includes the Sunday leagues and juniors teams and leagues.

Stop individual leagues looking after their own interests.

Saturday leagues for first and second teams longer format games, Sunday’s for say 40 over games, or vice versa. Teams and players are free to choose where they play.

No not at all.

You’re correct, the DCL are a shambles at times! I think all the leagues should disband and merge once and for all under one banner and that includes the Sunday leagues and juniors teams and leagues.

Stop individual leagues looking after their own interests.

Saturday leagues for first and second teams longer format games, Sunday’s for say 40 over games, or vice versa. Teams and players are free to choose where they play.
It's the last point that's the issue. We can't get teams out on a Sunday now, let along being forced to play all our games then. Players have chosen the NEDCL to avoid playing the longer format, since it doesn't suit everyone.

It's the last point that's the issue. We can't get teams out on a Sunday now, let along being forced to play all our games then. Players have chosen the NEDCL to avoid playing the longer format, since it doesn't suit everyone.
I didn’t say play on a Sunday though I said they could play on a Saturday (my vice versa comment). Basically we have a separate 40 over league played whenever it suits teams but under the same banner as the other leagues.

I’m not trying to get rid of nedcl clubs if that’s what you think mate I’m trying to think of ways to help all clubs in north east cricket!

I didn’t say play on a Sunday though I said they could play on a Saturday (my vice versa comment). Basically we have a separate 40 over league played whenever it suits teams but under the same banner as the other leagues.

I’m not trying to get rid of nedcl clubs if that’s what you think mate I’m trying to think of ways to help all clubs in north east cricket!
I know mate I didn't think that at all.
That's the hope, if a merger did take place that would be the way forward.

I'm a firm 2nd team DCL player(occasionally step up to 1st when required) and i'm thinking why should second team cricket be fiddled around with?

For me 2nd team cricket should be the breeding ground for younger players to learn the game and then look to push on into the 1st - how will that happen when the 1s and 2s don't play the same game - 40 overs a side with no draws is a completely different mindset to timed cricket with draws etc.

I'm a firm 2nd team DCL player(occasionally step up to 1st when required) and i'm thinking why should second team cricket be fiddled around with?

For me 2nd team cricket should be the breeding ground for younger players to learn the game and then look to push on into the 1st - how will that happen when the 1s and 2s don't play the same game - 40 overs a side with no draws is a completely different mindset to timed cricket with draws etc.
Would a slightly reduced but still timed overs match work to stem the dropout problem?

Would a slightly reduced but still timed overs match work to stem the dropout problem?

I beleive we only had 2 games conceded both of which were against Murton - so is there a big problem with drop outs? this is where junior set ups come into play imo - get the young uns in playing - it will do them the world of good.

I beleive we only had 2 games conceded both of which were against Murton - so is there a big problem with drop outs? this is where junior set ups come into play imo - get the young uns in playing - it will do them the world of good.
The general consensus on here was that far too many games across the region were played with teams failing to put a full XI on to the field.

Back