Player Club Moves For 2019

I'm a firm 2nd team DCL player(occasionally step up to 1st when required) and i'm thinking why should second team cricket be fiddled around with?

For me 2nd team cricket should be the breeding ground for younger players to learn the game and then look to push on into the 1st - how will that happen when the 1s and 2s don't play the same game - 40 overs a side with no draws is a completely different mindset to timed cricket with draws etc.

Yeah I think we all agree in principle with what you saying, but the main point for me is that something has to be done to get more participation, and second team numbers are dropping soo much that it needs to change for the longevity of the game, or they will not be enough players or second teams for you to play whatever format!

Yeah I think we all agree in principle with what you saying, but the main point for me is that something has to be done to get more participation, and second team numbers are dropping soo much that it needs to change for the longevity of the game, or they will not be enough players or second teams for you to play whatever format!
There will be enough players and teams if the seconds play in the same pyramid system as first teams.

There will be enough players and teams if the seconds play in the same pyramid system as first teams.
Can you please explain how this would enhance the numbers playing Saturday cricket??

I would assume you would have the same number of players at best and if anything players would migrate from lesser first teams to play for stronger clubs 2nd teams. This over a period of time would reduce the number of clubs in the region as a greater rate to that we are seeing now.

I would rather have more clubs who can at least field 1 team. If anything allowing second teams to play in the first team leagues would have the opposite effect. It would make the current strong clubs even stronger and the weaker clubs weaker as their first team players migrate over time.

The wider issue of participation isn't going to be resolved by one change onky. Multiple challenges are required to increase the numbers but I agree the leagues need to try something soon before it's too late

I am behind the idea of 2nd teams being in the pyramid like any other. The standard of 2nd team cricket varies hugely. The top sides could compete with most 1st teams in the area, whilst in the lower level leagues, sides struggle to get 11, and even then a couple may be dragged off the street. Having these teams in the pyramid, and the pyramid adjusting the format further down the ladder could be beneficial here.

If a 2nd team like the day out and a beer before during and after, they will naturally end up in Division 10 or something, playing 40 overs a side, and having a good time. South North 2s will probably end up in Division 2, 1 below their first team, competing in 110 over format as they want to, playing competitive games. The risk is naturally that they could end up paying lads in their 2s but on the whole it takes the pressure off clubs to have more than 1 team if they cannot manage, and allows flexibility in the format.

Its the amount of time spent playing cricket that is the main reason, there are just too many distractions nowadays, unfortunately.

Of course it is, most people on here love their cricket and want to co continue the way it is, however like you say unfortunately there is to many other things to do and lots don’t want to play as long.

Can you please explain how this would enhance the numbers playing Saturday cricket??

I would assume you would have the same number of players at best and if anything players would migrate from lesser first teams to play for stronger clubs 2nd teams. This over a period of time would reduce the number of clubs in the region as a greater rate to that we are seeing now.

I would rather have more clubs who can at least field 1 team. If anything allowing second teams to play in the first team leagues would have the opposite effect. It would make the current strong clubs even stronger and the weaker clubs weaker as their first team players migrate over time.

The wider issue of participation isn't going to be resolved by one change onky. Multiple challenges are required to increase the numbers but I agree the leagues need to try something soon before it's too late
You will end up with more clubs who can field at least 1 team!

Under the current system teams will go defunct if they can’t field 2nd teams.

Under the proposed system those teams could still carry on with one team.

You ask how the seconds joining the same pyramid setup would enhance participation but I think the answer is obvious. Fair enough, A lot of lads get bored playing all day second team, but I think that’s because most games are meaningless. Unless the second teams going for the league title, it doesn’t matter where they finish as where they play next year depends on what their first team does. Personally I think this causes a bit of a divide between first and second teams at some clubs causing some second teamers to become dissolutioned and therefore they leave. The seconds playing in the same league setup where they can gain promotion and relegation in their own right would spice up games, increase interest and ultimately over time increase participation.

The idea that changing second team cricket to 40 overs in my opinion is very short sighted. Everyone needs to be playing by the same rules otherwise you will end up with top standard first team players going to play for clubs with strong second team because they like playing a shorter game. This would result in exactly the same situation as you said in your second paragraph.

Theres no easy solution!

You will end up with more clubs who can field at least 1 team!

Under the current system teams will go defunct if they can’t field 2nd teams.

Under the proposed system those teams could still carry on with one team.

You ask how the seconds joining the same pyramid setup would enhance participation but I think the answer is obvious. Fair enough, A lot of lads get bored playing all day second team, but I think that’s because most games are meaningless. Unless the second teams going for the league title, it doesn’t matter where they finish as where they play next year depends on what their first team does. Personally I think this causes a bit of a divide between first and second teams at some clubs causing some second teamers to become dissolutioned and therefore they leave. The seconds playing in the same league setup where they can gain promotion and relegation in their own right would spice up games, increase interest and ultimately over time increase participation.

The idea that changing second team cricket to 40 overs in my opinion is very short sighted. Everyone needs to be playing by the same rules otherwise you will end up with top standard first team players going to play for clubs with strong second team because they like playing a shorter game. This would result in exactly the same situation as you said in your second paragraph.

Theres no easy solution!
I'm confused. Your conclusion is that some teams will start field 1 team and survive due to this proposal. So can I ask where are all these extra players then? With your theory there will be more clubs being created I guess??

Really a pyramid with 2nd teams included only has positives for the strong clubs and make the rest weaker.

I'm confused. Your conclusion is that some teams will start field 1 team and survive due to this proposal. So can I ask where are all these extra players then? With your theory there will be more clubs being created I guess??

Really a pyramid with 2nd teams included only has positives for the strong clubs and make the rest weaker.
Why would you need extra players to field only 1 team instead of 2?

You may want to read your previous posts and hence why I'm confused!
You need to read itall the way through :lol:

I never said that you would get extra players initially, but over time more players would become interested in second team cricket if it were more competitive.

This will not bring players to the game initially. We need clubs to carry on their brilliant work with allstars etc and keep these players in the game when they reach 16-18. This will be done by making second team more meaningful

Last edited:

Back