Phone-use driver jailed over Dumfries death crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Like they did with drink driving, there should be a massive government campaign against using your phone while driving.

Every morning see a bloke drive past me whilst I’m at the bus stop with his phone clearly in hand with a couple of kids in the back seat, clearly on the school run for what I presume are his grand bairns. Absolute f***ing idiot.

Not sure if seb as if not read the thread but if he's doing it every day just video him a few times and turn him in

Disagree mate but with you knowing the family I can understand why you would think differently.

I would say most people who use phones behind the wheel are probably usually law abiding normal people. I've used my phone when driving before for instance, can you honestly say you haven't? 5 years in jail is deterrent enough for someone like me, if it was 10 years or 20 years the end result would be the same for me.

These people aren't going out of their way to hurt people, they are just being selfish, stupid and dangerous. You don't need a life sentence as punishment for stupidity.

You raise a good point. For me a one punch killer deserves a harsher sentence than someone who uses their phone behind the wheel and accidentally kills someone.

Choosing to physically attack someone is a conscious choice to hurt someone (or defend yourself) whereas using your phone while driving is just stupid.
Taking out the personal involvement, how many is this now? 100, 1000? it`s no detterent as it happens again. Even when it involved a peer of the realm, Lord Ahmed a few years ago in a very high profile case that hasnt put people off. Unfortunately it needs a major major sentence (10 years plus) somewhere along the line for folks to start taking notice

Like they did with drink driving, there should be a massive government campaign against using your phone while driving.

Will make minimal difference. There has been a government campaign to stop people speeding yet the latest DfT figures that came out this week show that 85% of drivers exceed 20mph limits and 50%+ do for 30mph+.

You just have to be incredibly strict with punishment and start taking licences from people when caught. It's a privilege not a right at the end of the day, you choose to speed, you choose to use a phone, you'll have to find another way to get to work or pick the kids up, you're a proven danger to innocent lives.

Taking out the personal involvement, how many is this now? 100, 1000? it`s no detterent as it happens again. Even when it involved a peer of the realm, Lord Ahmed a few years ago in a very high profile case that hasnt put people off. Unfortunately it needs a major major sentence (10 years plus) somewhere along the line for folks to start taking notice
But that’s just throwing numbers about. Why would ten years make more of a difference than 5 years. Based on that logic it should be 20 or 30 years.

No sentence is ever long enough for the family of someone who had been killed.

Education, enforcement and the deterrent need to start at the bottom.

Instant ban with zero tolerance and no employers crying they need their licence to support their family shite.

But that’s just throwing numbers about. Why would ten years make more of a difference than 5 years. Based on that logic it should be 20 or 30 years.

No sentence is ever long enough for the family of someone who had been killed.

Education, enforcement and the deterrent need to start at the bottom.

Instant ban with zero tolerance and no employers crying they need their licence to support their family shite.
true but theres always someone who ignores it so it also needs to be top loaded for the terminally stupid

But it’s far easier to change tech than attitude.
Agreed. Don't necessarily think taking the easy option is the best option though.

You could just as easy say all cars should be limited to 70mph because it's easier to change that than it is to get people to stop driving over the limit.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but at what point do you say hang on, people need to start taking responsibility for their actions. It's not tech causing a crash. It's drivers who willingly distract themselves.

If that's your opinion then presumably you think drink drivers should be treated fairly lightly? After all, they're being stupid, not intentionally trying to kill and maim people and change/ruin the lives of relatives.
Nope. I never said anyone should be treated fairly lightly. In my opinion 5 years in prison for accidentally killing someone through a selfish and stupid act, where you never ever intended to hurt anyone, is punishment enough and deterrent enough.

My point is that for normal people like you and I, 5 years in prison is enough deterrent for us not to do it. 25 years would not make a difference to our actions.

I just don't believe massive sentences is the answer personally which is kind of my point all along.

Harsher punishment for being caught using your phone? I'm all for that definitely. That would be the better deterrent in my opinion.

In my last job we were banned even using hands free in the car. Don't connect it to Bluetooth put on on silent and in the boot. It's It's actually quite liberating switching the bastard thing off for a bit.

The amount I see on the phone around Durham every morning is criminal
Are /where you a professional driver hence the robust action from your employer .?

Are /where you a professional driver hence the robust action from your employer .?
Not really, management. It was worldwide, 70,000 employees.

I loved it, looked on it as 2/3 hours peace and quiet. Started a new job recently and hands free is allowed and after 10 years of abstinence I'm struggling to use it

Thing thats gets me is that unless somebody in your family has been hurt or took seriously ill, everything can wait. Getting a long ban for getting caught is the only deterrent imo. Losing your licence for a year would be like getting your legs cut off for a year.
Even though I use my phone whilst driving occasionally I totally agree with the ban.
6 months minimum.

I’ve been caught in the past when it was only 3 points. A ban would definitely make me think twice, although a ban wouldn’t stop me driving.

Haulage companies would go mad if you turned your phone off as they need to get in touch with you at all times. I'm currently working as a multi drop driver until I start my new job and the bastards are constantly trying to ring me despite not having Bluetooth in the vehicle they provide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back