Phone-use driver jailed over Dumfries death crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Would it not be halved for good conduct inside?
On another note some of the time dished out when someone punches someone and they bang their head and sadly die..its manslaughter as " they never meant to kill them"?..get two or three year for killing someone also seems terrible for the family who suffer not having that person around ever again.Whole lot needs re balancing in my humble opinion ?( sorry if seb)
Nos such thing, you serve half of the sentence in jail and half on license.

Problem there is passengers using phones or stuff like navigation on phones. Plenty of people take calls hands-free no bother. Isn't the problem with attitude rather than the technology?
But it’s far easier to change tech than attitude.

Maps, should be enabled so you can only change or set a destination when stationary with the engine off (this goes for phones, integrated and aftermarket).

Passengers, tech exists to allow them to connect when you’re not etc.

Nobody should be allowed to stick anything to their windscreen, should be 6 points and a fine for having your phone stuck to the windscreen.

Nos such thing, you serve half of the sentence in jail and half on license.
So half inside half out marra?( just hear a lot that people are released after half of time served into community..obviously not right)

No its not anywhere near enough of a deterent. I know Martin (her son) Liz and the kids personally and they are still in f***ing bits, i`d hate to see it happen again but likely enough we will
Disagree mate but with you knowing the family I can understand why you would think differently.

I would say most people who use phones behind the wheel are probably usually law abiding normal people. I've used my phone when driving before for instance, can you honestly say you haven't? 5 years in jail is deterrent enough for someone like me, if it was 10 years or 20 years the end result would be the same for me.

These people aren't going out of their way to hurt people, they are just being selfish, stupid and dangerous. You don't need a life sentence as punishment for stupidity.

Would it not be halved for good conduct inside?
On another note some of the time dished out when someone punches someone and they bang their head and sadly die..its manslaughter as " they never meant to kill them"?..get two or three year for killing someone also seems terrible for the family who suffer not having that person around ever again.Whole lot needs re balancing in my humble opinion ?( sorry if seb)
You raise a good point. For me a one punch killer deserves a harsher sentence than someone who uses their phone behind the wheel and accidentally kills someone.

Choosing to physically attack someone is a conscious choice to hurt someone (or defend yourself) whereas using your phone while driving is just stupid.

Last edited:
Disagree mate but with you knowing the family I can understand why you would think differently.

I would say most people who use phones behind the wheel are probably usually law abiding normal people. I've used my phone when driving before for instance, can you honestly say you haven't? 5 years in jail is deterrent enough for someone like me, if it was 10 years or 20 years the end result would be the same for me.

These people aren't going out of their way to hurt people, they are just being selfish, stupid and dangerous. You don't need a life sentence as punishment for stupidity.

Bullshit...he’s killed someone, simple as that. He’ll be out in just over two years to rebuild his life. Meanwhile the victims family get a life sentence.
You’ll react totally differently if it was your loved ones.

You raise a good point. For me a one punch killer deserves a harsher sentence than someone who uses their phone behind the wheel and accidentally kills someone.

Choosing to physically attack someone is a conscious choice to hurt someone (or defend yourself) whereas using your phone while driving is just stupid.

It's a conscious choice to piss around on your phone when you fine well know the potential outcome. You deserve the book chucked at you for doing it, it's not ever acceptable. Pull over if you need to use your phone. We are way far, far too blasé about road danger.

5 years is a good enough deterrent I would think.

But you're right, it's the lesser offence that needs punished more severely.

Even though the sentence is too short in my view, I think I agree with you. I'd rather see him sentenced for longer - he deliberately did something which he knew to be illegal and which is illegal because it creates a risk for other road users, and a result someone died - but I don't think that if I got my way it would be any deterrent.

Because when it comes down to it, no one thinks they're going to kill someone. No one thinks it'll happen to them. So I don't think it would have a deterrent factor at all.

Increasing the fine and points or issuing an instant ban on second offence for being caught using the phone behind the wheel, and then throwing some resource towards enforcing it so many people get to hear of it happening to someone they know, or friend of a friend...that would be the deterrent, because people (most people) think it might happen to them.

Reactions: mux
Driver smashes into car as he checks phone

5 years is still fuck all imo......should be looking at double that.

Should be a minimum 6 month ban if caught using a phone at the wheel.....

Agree totally, the amount of people I have seen pulling away on their phone.

Just finish your phone call then pull off.

Kid you not, travelling back from Chester the other week bloke on the A1 going really slow could decide what lane to be in, when I eventally took over, i glanced over and he was texting on a f***ing motorway!

Bullshit...he’s killed someone, simple as that. He’ll be out in just over two years to rebuild his life. Meanwhile the victims family get a life sentence.
You’ll react totally differently if it was your loved ones.
I've had this debate on here before but there's a very good reason why the family of victims don't get to decide sentencing and that is because there is no rational and fair thought involved, obviously. So while I get what you're saying and it's tragic and awful, it's a totally moot point.

It's a conscious choice to piss around on your phone when you fine well know the potential outcome. You deserve the book chucked at you for doing it, it's not ever acceptable. Pull over if you need to use your phone. We are way far, far too blasé about road danger.
I agree people are too blasé. But throwing the book at people is just the kind of petty anger that you see all over whenever there is an offence committed. We shouldn't, and don't thankfully, base sentencing on vengeance. Nobody is saying it's not a stupid thing to do but it can't be compared with someone who willingly tries to attack or injure someone. I would bet that over 75% of the users on this forum have used their phone at least once while driving. I'm not condoning it but it requires context.

Even though the sentence is too short in my view, I think I agree with you. I'd rather see him sentenced for longer - he deliberately did something which he knew to be illegal and which is illegal because it creates a risk for other road users, and a result someone died - but I don't think that if I got my way it would be any deterrent.

Because when it comes down to it, no one thinks they're going to kill someone. No one thinks it'll happen to them. So I don't think it would have a deterrent factor at all.

Increasing the fine and points or issuing an instant ban on second offence for being caught using the phone behind the wheel, and then throwing some resource towards enforcing it so many people get to hear of it happening to someone they know, or friend of a friend...that would be the deterrent, because people (most people) think it might happen to them.
Agree completely and you've nailed the point I'm trying to make and not making as succinctly.

Last edited:
I've had this debate on here before but there's a very good reason why the family of victims don't get to decide sentencing and that is because there is no rational and fair thought involved, obviously. So while I get what you're saying and it's tragic and awful, it's a totally moot point.

I agree people are too blasé. But throwing the book at people is just the kind of petty anger that you see all over whenever there is an offence committed. We shouldn't, and don't thankfully, base sentencing on vengeance. Nobody is saying it's not a stupid thing to do but it can't be compared with someone who willingly tries to attack or injure someone. I would bet that over 75% of the users on this forum have used their phone at least once while driving. I'm not condoning it but it requires context.

Agree completely and you've nailed the point I'm trying to make and not making as succinctly.

It's not petty anger though. People continously use their phones when driving because the punishment isn't tight enough. Immediate licence removal for anyone caught using a phone when at the wheel would see a reduction in it over night.

You can get away with murder behind the wheel of a motor vehicle. As a country we are incredibly lenient and tolerable of disgraceful and dangerous behaviour on the roads. It's so normalised, as you pointed out.

It's not petty anger though. People continously use their phones when driving because the punishment isn't tight enough. Immediate licence removal for anyone caught using a phone when at the wheel would see a reduction in it over night.

You can get away with murder behind the wheel of a motor vehicle. As a country we are incredibly lenient and tolerable of disgraceful and dangerous behaviour on the roads. It's so normalised, as you pointed out.

I would support this as long as cyclists had their cycles immediately taken away and crushed for RLJs.

If that's your opinion then presumably you think drink drivers should be treated fairly lightly? After all, they're being stupid, not intentionally trying to kill and maim people and change/ruin the lives of relatives.

I would support this as long as cyclists had their cycles immediately taken away and crushed for RLJs.

Drivers and cyclists do it at roughly the same rate. Difference is of course physics and therefore road danger. Start by crushing motor vehicles first and I'll join you in support.

Oh and piss off it's a Friday night. :) Day off.

Drivers and cyclists do it at roughly the same rate. Difference is of course physics and therefore road danger. Start by crushing motor vehicles first and I'll join you in support.

Oh and piss off it's a Friday night. :) Day off.

Haha but there’s no license for cyclists? Should there be...

Nah you’re right have a drink tonight you cycling bastard x

I have my iPhone set to do not disturb as soon as i connect to the bluetooth in the car so i dont get facebook bollocks popping up.

Just today driving back past heworth and i was watching a lass constantly looking down at her phone while driving and its dangerous. To be fair theres a lot of HGV drivers do it as well.

Also special fury is reserved for utter bellend range rover drivers who drive with their phones pressed to their lugs - aye driving a 40k car but cant afford a f***ing bluetooth connection? fuck right off you cock heads.

EDIT just watched that video - f***ing hell - HGV drivers have it drummed into them not to use their phones whilst on duty - irresponsible arsehole.

I have my iPhone set to do not disturb as soon as i connect to the bluetooth in the car so i dont get facebook bollocks popping up.

Just today driving back past heworth and i was watching a lass constantly looking down at her phone while driving and its dangerous. To be fair theres a lot of HGV drivers do it as well.

Also special fury is reserved for utter bellend range rover drivers who drive with their phones pressed to their lugs - aye driving a 40k car but cant afford a f***ing bluetooth connection? fuck right off you cock heads.
It appears to me that the more expensive the car the more that those knobs think they have a right to use their phone, and f***ing tailgate,,but lets not de-rail the thread.

Every morning see a bloke drive past me whilst I’m at the bus stop with his phone clearly in hand with a couple of kids in the back seat, clearly on the school run for what I presume are his grand bairns. Absolute f***ing idiot.
Buswanker

Chilling watching that. As a driver, there's absolutely fuck all you can do to avoid someone going into the back of you, other than treat the left lane like the plague.

Not condoning the guy, but I suppose driving the relatively sedate speeds (compared to being in a car) on roads day in day out, you'd eventually become a bit blasé about it.

Hopefully technology introduces early warning systems, assisted braking etc., because it's easy to say "keep your eyes on the road", but actually doing it yourself? Don't think I could do that job and be an angel. Imagine staring out into the road, hands fixed at 10-2 all day. You'd end up in a loony bin.
Think he must have dropped his guard about being watched by a camera all the time too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back