Phone-use driver jailed over Dumfries death crash

Traffic lights are the worst. It’s always young lasses in small, brightly coloured one litre cars who just HAVE to check their Facebook, WhatsApp, Instagram etc.

I’d happily see an on the spot year long ban from driving with no “but I need it for work” exception. Tough shit.
I regularly check my phone at traffic lights. It's usually fixed to the dashboard.

A quick glance to see if there's any messages or emails.

Hopefully technology introduces early warning systems, assisted braking etc., because it's easy to say "keep your eyes on the road", but actually doing it yourself? Don't think I could do that job and be an angel. Imagine staring out into the road, hands fixed at 10-2 all day. You'd end up in a loony bin.
It’s a job, no difference between working on a production line and being at it for hours on end, concentrate on your job for x hours, then when you have a break check phone.

I regularly check my phone at traffic lights. It's usually fixed to the dashboard.

A quick glance to see if there's any messages or emails.

Then you're a danger to yourself and other road users tbh.

I see both sexes using their phones but the amount of young lasses I see using them is astounding.

Because they're idiots who have to check their Instagram. Oh my god, Kylie Jenner has posted a new picture of her f***ing eyebrows or something.

Then you're a danger to yourself and other road users tbh.

Because they're idiots who have to check their Instagram. Oh my god, Kylie Jenner has posted a new picture of her f***ing eyebrows or something.
You don't glance at your radio? You fix your eyes 100% on the road?

I think you're a liar.

You’ll still get the points and fine if caught.

But those messages and emails will certainly be important.
Indeed. Pretty f***ing tricky to prove I wasn't merely readjusting my sat nav though.

I think you're a liar.

Indeed. Pretty f***ing tricky to prove I wasn't merely readjusting my sat nav though.

I'm not focused entirely on my phone at traffic lights though am I? Haway man. It's dangerous.

The sat nav app on my phone (Waze) is voice controlled and of all the buttons on my radio, the only one that ever gets used is the 'next song' button because it's always on Spotify shuffle.

I think you're a liar.

People who think reading a message - both in time and attention - is the same as glancing at a display to see what station/song is on are deluded. Let alone the arseholes who think that they can reply to one and still not put other people at risk.

I'm not focused entirely on my phone at traffic lights though am I? Haway man. It's dangerous.

The sat nav app on my phone (Waze) is voice controlled and of all the buttons on my radio, the only one that ever gets used is the 'next song' button because it's always on Spotify shuffle.
You have a voice controlled radio in a Peugeot 106?

Even though I use my phone whilst driving occasionally I totally agree with the ban.
6 months minimum.

I’ve been caught in the past when it was only 3 points. A ban would definitely make me think twice, although a ban wouldn’t stop me driving.

In a better world, driving on a ban would be instant permanent confiscation of the car if owned/leased/hired by the driver and time inside, doubled if the car can't be seized, and then another penalty on top for driving with no insurance, which you would be.

People who think reading a message - both in time and attention - is the same as glancing at a display to see what station/song is on are deluded. Let alone the arseholes who think that they can reply to one and still not put other people at risk.
How long does it take to search for a new radio station? Readjust the frequency? Skip through a CD play list / mp3 album searching for a song?

My point being, the poster believes it's perfectly safe to do all of that but not to skim a message at traffic lights.

There will be nee fucker on the roads. Will be a lot safer. Hate mobile drivers. Almost as bad as people who have started to take front number plate off. Penalty notices all day for those fuckers
What’s the craic with daft fuckers doing that? The number plate thing.

How long does it take to search for a new radio station? Readjust the frequency? Skip through a CD play list / mp3 album searching for a song?

My point being, the poster believes it's perfectly safe to do all of that but not to skim a message at traffic lights.

Like I said, the only button that ever gets used is the next song button, which I don't even need to look away from the road to use.

I take it you're the bloke who sits there when the light is green giggling away at something on Twitter holding everyone else up?

What’s the craic with daft fuckers doing that? The number plate thing.

Almost as stupid as the people who take off their rear wiper.

Is it true that plates with non-standard font are illegal? I see loads but never see the fuckers get lifted. I'd love to see them pulled over and arrested :D

I don't believe that 90% of people who do that will be able to resist - even if just occasionally - reading the message that doesn't come in where they are stopped, or leaving off halfway through a reply when lights go green.

Like I said, the only button that ever gets used is the next song button, which I don't even need to look away from the road to use.

I take it you're the bloke who sits there when the light is green giggling away at something on Twitter holding everyone else up?

Is it true that plates with non-standard font are illegal? I see loads but never see the fuckers get lifted. I'd love to see them pulled over and arrested :D
Correct, same as any image instead of the EU flag and GB on the plate is also an offence.

yep it is. So are spacings as well so b 19 boy has to be clearly b 19 boy and not big boy (or small cocked wanker in reality) but unless they completely take the piss its not really that possible to measure them without stopping the car

Correct, same as any image instead of the EU flag and GB on the plate is also an offence.

What about the Welsh and Scotch flags? I've seen both when in Wales and Scotland.

yep it is. So are spacings as well so b 19 boy has to be clearly b 19 boy and not big boy (or small cocked wanker in reality) but unless they completely take the piss its not really that possible to measure them without stopping the car

It's always some arsehole in a 15 year old Impreza with an exhaust louder than Concorde. I'd have them crushed along with the car.

No now it's blokes on Twitter and women on Facebook who are causing all these delays at traffic lights?

Not you of course. Not with your absolute discipline that means you ignore your sat nav and only use one button on the radio.

You never skip forwards or backwards or search for a station/song.

Back