Phone-use driver jailed over Dumfries death crash

5 years is a good enough deterrent I would think.

But you're right, it's the lesser offence that needs punished more severely.

Terrible story. I'd have given him longer than that inside and i'd ban him from driving for life.
Tell you what, if i ever get stopped by standing vehicles, especially on a dual carriageway, i'd leave a big gap in front of me, and be glued to my rear view mirror, ready to at least try to drive out of the way.

What a c**t.

Still the amount of people you see using their phones whilst driving is ridiculous. Don’t think the death penalty would stop them from doing it.

Traffic lights are the worst. It’s always young lasses in small, brightly coloured one litre cars who just HAVE to check their Facebook, WhatsApp, Instagram etc.

I’d happily see an on the spot year long ban from driving with no “but I need it for work” exception. Tough shit.

Traffic lights are the worst. It’s always young lasses in small, brightly coloured one litre cars who just HAVE to check their Facebook, WhatsApp, Instagram etc.

I’d happily see an on the spot year long ban from driving with no “but I need it for work” exception. Tough shit.
Every morning see a bloke drive past me whilst I’m at the bus stop with his phone clearly in hand with a couple of kids in the back seat, clearly on the school run for what I presume are his grand bairns. Absolute f***ing idiot.

I’m with Mux on this with regards to the sentence and deterrent, but no sentence would ever seem long enough when you lose a loved one in this situation.

I’ve said before how one of my colleagues lost her daughter and most of her daughters extended family in the Tomasz Kroker accident.

Absolutely horrific situation.

Anyhow, she now campaigns for the Road Victims Trust and you can now have drivers convicted using your dashcam footage and if you witness someone using their phone you can report them to the local force and they’ll take action.

Terrible story. I'd have given him longer than that inside and i'd ban him from driving for life.
Tell you what, if i ever get stopped by standing vehicles, especially on a dual carriageway, i'd leave a big gap in front of me, and be glued to my rear view mirror, ready to at least try to drive out of the way.

What a c**t.
I do a lot of miles each year and I absolutely take this tactic. Always leave about 10/20 metres...

As bad as these people are those with the phones stuck in their view on the windscreen.

Chilling watching that. As a driver, there's absolutely fuck all you can do to avoid someone going into the back of you, other than treat the left lane like the plague.

Not condoning the guy, but I suppose driving the relatively sedate speeds (compared to being in a car) on roads day in day out, you'd eventually become a bit blasé about it.

Hopefully technology introduces early warning systems, assisted braking etc., because it's easy to say "keep your eyes on the road", but actually doing it yourself? Don't think I could do that job and be an angel. Imagine staring out into the road, hands fixed at 10-2 all day. You'd end up in a loony bin.

Last edited:
Still the amount of people you see using their phones whilst driving is ridiculous. Don’t think the death penalty would stop them from doing it.

The increase to 6 points and a fine hasn't deterred in the slightest, especially when the chances of getting caught are slim.

As I said earlier....a ban is the only way...it will at least make some think their job's at stake.

Chilling watching that. As a driver, there's absolutely fuck all you can do to avoid someone going into the back of you, other than treat the left lane like the plague.

Not condoning the guy, but I suppose driving the relatively sedate speeds (compared to being in a car) on roads day in day out, you'd eventually become a bit blasé about it.

Hopefully technology introduces early warning systems, assisted braking etc., because it's easy to say "keep your eyes on the road", but actually doing it yourself? Don't think I could do that job and be an angel. Imagine staring out into the road, hands fixed at 10-2 all day. You'd end up in a loony bin.
Most modern trucks have active brake assist these days which detects stationary traffic, alerts the driver then brings it to a stop if the driver doesn’t react.

I’ve tried it out in the new MB Sprit we and it’s unnerving but absolutely works. It’s not really designed for people using their phones mind.

I actually think it is getting worse, not better. As i drive a van and have a higher vantage point,, i can see into cars easier and the amount of users is unreal. Its catching them that seems to be the problem but i did not know you can send dashcam footage in. Going to look for a decent one.

I actually think it is getting worse, not better. As i drive a van and have a higher vantage point,, i can see into cars easier and the amount of users is unreal. Its catching them that seems to be the problem but i did not know you can send dashcam footage in. Going to look for a decent one.
Not even just dash cam, if you see it you tell the police - day, date, time, road, car and reg and they’ll send them a warning initially.

If you have evidence I think they can be prosecuted.

Not even just dash cam, if you see it you tell the police - day, date, time, road, car and reg and they’ll send them a warning initially.

If you have evidence I think they can be prosecuted.
Problem i see with that is you have only got a few seconds to collate that information down safely.

Problem i see with that is you have only got a few seconds to collate that information down safely.
Yeah, no easy but works better if you are or have a passenger I suppose.

Also saw somethignshe posted the other day where police (mainly PCSO’s) get on top deck of busses and catch people from that higher vantage point.

They use lorries to peer into cars too.

Back