Only 3 big clubs in division 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sometimes it’s harder to be the big fish in the small pond.
Players get a lift playing in bigger stadiums and possibly getting more limelight
As it’s now expected we should be ready for it and counter it accordingly. There are no surprises this season. We know exactly what to expect.

Childish invective is your forte vinegar boy!keep it up the good work raising the tone of this forum ........your a star :lol:
A bit harsh mate!
I just think already I can detect a certain air of panic amongst some on here already regarding next season.
A legitimate opinion you don’t think?

Like a large number of supporters you do not appear to appreciate the level of disarray that the club was in at the point Stewart Donald took control , we were in a right mess and I think stabilising the club was the priority ,which was achieved . Promotion was a pipe dream despite the size of SAFC and unless the downward spiral was reversed we could have fell further , as it was we just failed by narrow margins to achieve promotion which would have been an amazing performance . We start next season in a lot healthier position and therefore I would agree no excuses this season we are approaching - last season I think we actually exceeded what I expected and a lot of supporters agree with me.
WUM

Ipswich and Portsmouth bigger than Bolton?

Interesting theory.
Ipswich are easily. Too many Utd fans around your way.

Like a large number of supporters you do not appear to appreciate the level of disarray that the club was in at the point Stewart Donald took control , we were in a right mess and I think stabilising the club was the priority ,which was achieved . Promotion was a pipe dream despite the size of SAFC and unless the downward spiral was reversed we could have fell further , as it was we just failed by narrow margins to achieve promotion which would have been an amazing performance . We start next season in a lot healthier position and therefore I would agree no excuses this season we are approaching - last season I think we actually exceeded what I expected and a lot of supporters agree with me.
We were in the passenger seat with about six weeks to go. We threw it away. No pipe dreams involved. We finished fifth in a one horse race. We should’ve don’t the double. We should expect to next season anarl. Owt else is cowardice.

Last edited:
Learning curve, must pull our weight this time.

Learnign curve? Luton had just been promoted from League Two and Charlton couldn't field a full bench on the first day of the season.

No excuses for last season's failure.

Doesn't matter how big a club we are, it was a part of our problem as supporters last season. We were expecting to rock up and win 5-0 every week.... ain't going to happen.

The problem last season was that we were expecting to rock up and win 1-0 every week. A bit more positivity and we'd have been fine.

Agreed. Ross walked into a shit show last summer, that's why I was against getting rid. However if we show no signs of learning any lessons (recruitment and tactics) then I think fans could turn on him quite quickly. No excuses from me. Last season was a bit of a jolly up going to new grounds and stuff. We need to do the business this year.

Nothing like the shit show that Lee Bowyer walked into. The shit show of getting rid of toxic players was sorted for him. He had a good, big squad.

If the problem was that he walked into a shit show how come he won four out of the first 5 games and 2 out of the last ten?

Like a large number of supporters you do not appear to appreciate that some other clubs like Charlton were in far more disarray. They couldn't field a full bench, didn't have a permanent manager, were refusing to buy bottled water for the players.

Or that other clubs in worse disarray like Wigan (who couldn't afford to buy any players except James Vaughan after relegation) the season before went up easily.

The disarray of Kone, Djilobodji, Lens, Rodwell, Khazri, Ndong, etc, was sorted for the manager. He still went into the beginning of pre-season with a strong squad.

And the whole problem with the 'disarray' argument is that it doesn't explain why we got steadily worse and worse the longer Jack Ross worked with them.

Last edited:
Learnign curve? Luton had just been promoted from League Two and Charlton couldn't field a full bench on the first day of the season.

No excuses for last season's failure.

The problem last season was that we were expecting to rock up and win 1-0 every week. A bit more positivity and we'd have been fine.

Nothing like the shit show that Lee Bowyer walked into. The shit show of getting rid of toxic players was sorted for him. He had a good, big squad.

If the problem was that he walked into a shit show how come he won four out of the first 5 games and 2 out of the last ten?

Like a large number of supporters you do not appear to appreciate that some other clubs like Charlton were in far more disarray. They couldn't field a full bench, didn't have a permanent manager, were refusing to buy bottled water for the players.

Or that other clubs in worse disarray like Wigan (who couldn't afford to buy any players except James Vaughan after relegation) the season before went up easily.

The disarray of Kone, Djilobodji, Lens, Rodwell, Khazri, Ndong, etc, was sorted for the manager. He still went into the beginning of pre-season with a strong squad.

And the whole problem with the 'disarray' argument is that it doesn't explain why we got steadily worse and worse the longer Jack Ross worked with them.
just excuses for failing

The truth is Ross blew it. We had opportunity after opportunity to seize the advantage and failed each time.

Probably not twice as much as the entire division combined. We’d have had to have spend over £470m when we won the championship a couple of years back to match that.

Yes. You spent over 70% of the total spend in League One last season.

That is of course a little bit convoluted. Obviously the only expense in signing a player is not the transfer fee. And your lot like harking on about net spend yet that is negated in this case, since we made a considerable transfer fee profit last season

That is of course a little bit convoluted. Obviously the only expense in signing a player is not the transfer fee. And your lot like harking on about net spend yet that is negated in this case, since we made a considerable transfer fee profit last season

Purely because its massively derided on this board.

Can't have it both ways tbf or else I could point out that your net spend when you got relegated from the Championship was bigger than ours when we won that division.

Although that admittedly would be unfair considering we generated far more in transfer revenue the immediate summer after relegation.

Wish people would get over this big club thing, doesn’t matter how many fans you have that doesn’t give you the right to beat the rest of the teams
Lots of fans brings its own pressure like Leeds and they continually blow it, comes down to players and managers handling it

All perspective based on how old you are. One generation of fans has never seen Ipswich in the Premier League, one remembers them winning the UEFA cup, another remembers them winning the league. Fans of a certain age might thing Blackpool are one of the biggest clubs in the league.

Either way, doesn't matter, other than the level of disappointment for the fans.

Yet all I've read on here is how shit our players are and how need to sign loads of new ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back