Only 3 big clubs in division 1

Barnsley will go back down...

Not next season we won’t. Depends on the next head coach appointment as how we fair the year after, but we seem to be tying our players down to long term deals and turning down low offers for them, our player recruitment as been brilliant for a few years now, I’ve every confidence in our scouts and recruiting team, all our existing squad and recent signings are relatively young with plenty of scope for improvement, and our coaching staff are proven at developing young players, so I can’t see us going down any time soon.

A couple of years out of the premier league and clubs are forgotten about in this country, with the obvious exception of your own fans and the clubs around you. I’m not bothered whether we have the biggest budget or the best attendance- I just want to see us win consistently and get up and out of this league ffs.

History doesn’t make you a big club unless it’s mixed with more recent success and we haven’t had any for decades
No matter how big we think our clubs are, we're all in league 1! Who'd have thought around 15 years ago Bournemouth would be an established Premier League league team while the likes of Pompey and Sunderland are battling it out in league 1? On the basis of recent success I don't think there's another team outside the top 6 in the Prem who's been in 2 FA Cup finals in 3 seasons in the last decade or so.

Unfortunately... Successes is no longer about history... Size of city or club... It's if your lucky enough to catch the eye of a foreign investor looking to make a quick buck ... Some stay some sell.. Only pompey could find 2 plotless Arabs.. And a plotless Russian.... I'm a pompey fan but I find it funny as fuck....

Not in terms of trophies won.

There's nothing in it in terms of support either... and they don't have City and Utd on their doorstep.

No but they do have literally Thousands and thousands of acres of agricultural fields surrounding them covering a massive area in mileage, It isn’t exactly easy to grow a fan base in those circumstances is it.

Lets just dismiss what we've ever won then.. :lol:
Theres a lot of rose tints when it comes to supporters of a certain type of club. History is important when it comes to size, as is fan base and stadium. However, MK Don's have a 30k-odd capacity but are they big? Not a chance. Look at Juventus, they have a ground that holds around 40k, yet they are a mammoth club in every sense.

No but they do have literally Thousands and thousands of acres of agricultural fields surrounding them covering a massive area in mileage, It isn’t exactly easy to grow a fan base in those circumstances is it.

I'm not sure geography is your strong point, given that you think Wembley is difficult to get to from North London.

In my opinion you can only really class big clubs as ones that are winning the big trophies on a regular basis

You'd be wrong then.

Historical average attendances, trophies won and points accumulated in the top flight are the only reliable criteria.

It doesn't matter when those trophies or points were won.

Sunderland are a big club by any of those measures.

Last edited:
It doesn’t really matter how big a club is, all that matters is how good it is at any moment in time.
You’re as shit as you’ve ever been at the moment, but you’ve still got a fantastic fan base and you’re a club steeped in history, and everything about the fabric of your club screams class, you’re foundations are rock solid with your stadium, training facilities, and fan base, but what you’ve built on it is old and decrepit, you’ll always be a big club, but being a big club is pointless if you’re shite, you need to get your house in order to be anything of any significance in English football, it’s a rebuild job you’ve been at it 12 months and you’ve nothing to show for it, but Rome wasn’t built in a day, you’ve just got to stick at it.

I'm not sure geography is your strong point, given that you think Wembley is difficult to get to from North London.

You'd be wrong then.

Historical average attendances, trophies won and points accumulated in the top flight are the only reliable criteria.

It doesn't matter when those trophies or points were won.

Sunderland are a big club by any of those measures.

My point above was entirely correct, but for some reason you obviously felt the need to make an ill informed dig at me, which is totally wrong.

Firstly if you want to get clever with me perhaps you should try learning a few basic facts regarding what you are talking about, that might help.

there are many `Spurs fans living in North London but there are hardly any match going Spurs fans that currently live in North London though many will have come from there originally, the vast majority will live in the Home Counties and many other areas of the country like Stevenage, Milton Keynes, Peterborough etc. see below for example.

Secondly my point previously stands Wembley was an absolute bastard of a place to get to on a regular basis for many Spurs fans, and getting home was even harder queuing down Wembley way for f*****g ages , unlike a Cup final where the losers leave early there were often 70/80,000 plus fans leaving the stadium all at the same time and that grid locked the area, go onto any Spurs forum and there are thousands of posts saying exactly the same.

A One off Cup final or play off game etc is sufferable try it 50/60 times and you would understand that it was absolutely shit.

Spurs store could stock Stevenage FC shirts

Burton one of the few footballing sides last season. No idea if they got the same squad, if they have they won't be far away from promotion.

Back