Only 3 big clubs in division 1

My point above was entirely correct, but for some reason you obviously felt the need to make an ill informed dig at me, which is totally wrong.

Firstly if you want to get clever with me perhaps you should try learning a few basic facts regarding what you are talking about, that might help.

O.K. Here's a basic fact for you.

Bolton has eleven other professional football clubs within 30 miles including Man Utd and Man City.

Ipswich has none within 50 miles.

O.K. Here's a basic fact for you.

Bolton has eleven other professional football clubs within 30 miles including Man Utd and Man City.

Ipswich has none within 50 miles.

Well done you have confirmed my point, the area where Bolton reside in the North West is a highly populated area hence the fact that so many clubs can thrive or survive, it is obviously difficult for the smaller clubs trying to compete for support against some of the biggest clubs in the country.

As I said before Ipswich is surrounded by arable farming land for many miles and that land is mostly populated by animals, in Suffolk and Norfolk any pockets of population outside of the immediate vicinity of Ipswich or Norwich will rightly or wrongly tend to pick one of the bigger clubs to support, next season Norwich v Tottenham is the game that is nearest for Norwich to travel to and that is about 115 miles away from Norwich. :D

Last edited:
I'm not sure geography is your strong point, given that you think Wembley is difficult to get to from North London.

You'd be wrong then.

Historical average attendances, trophies won and points accumulated in the top flight are the only reliable criteria.

It doesn't matter when those trophies or points were won.

Sunderland are a big club by any of those measures.
I’m not wrong who sets the criteria for being a big club, you?

I always think trophies are the most important thing when discussing size of club. But what value do you put on Ipswich's European Cup? We've won the English League and FA Cup once more each than them, but you can't argue with a UEFA Cup. Their league title win in 1962 was more recent than our back to backs in 1949 and 1950 too, so I think they have a bigger weight of argument to be deemed bigger than us, if this is where we are going with this thread.

With respect to the Bolton fan...Bolton are one of the biggest of the satellite Manchester clubs. Certainly the biggest in the immediate greater Manchester area outside of City and United. But Blackburn and Preston are bigger clubs who aren’t too far away. And Bolton aren’t as big as Pompey. No way you can claim it with our success, old and recent.

Sunderland of course have the most domestic success in this league, but whether that Ipswich European Cup is something that can be competed with is a big question.

But at the end of the day, it’s all superfluous bollocks. We are all league one clubs. Coventry and Blackpool I’m sure could join this debate if they wanted.

Unfortunately... Successes is no longer about history... Size of city or club... It's if your lucky enough to catch the eye of a foreign investor looking to make a quick buck ... Some stay some sell.. Only pompey could find 2 plotless Arabs.. And a plotless Russian.... I'm a pompey fan but I find it funny as fuck....

Prior to the influx of foreign investors the three biggest clubs in English history were Man Utd Arsenal & Liverpool. That still holds. Man City & Chelsea are now overhauling the likes of Everton Spurs & Villa but history still counts. Liverpool are out of sight for European titles & are the only team with a chance of matching Man Utd titles anytime soon.

Back